Valve Skipping Ad Agencies With Portal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jibbs

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Smart choice. Specially since they don't need much. Anybody who played the first one is sure to buy the second.

Efrayim

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I hope the game fails miserably. Stupid devs, having them make advertising is like having a movie director make games - won't work.[/citation]
Troll much?

G

Very Good Choice, amount of money saved and value gained wont compare to any add agency

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Gameplay footage with a sick sound track how hard can it be... then develop flash ads for gaming and tech sites... like said before, the game has really sold itself, I have yet to play a game like the first portal and will probably buy the second.

Mottamort

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Games have adverts? I cannot think I've ever seen one (besides on websites..and that was before I installed adblock :p)

Granted I don't live in the US, so maybe they aren't global ad's :)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I hope the game fails miserably. Stupid devs, having them make advertising is like having a movie director make games - won't work.[/citation]
TH gotta get those TD to work properly again

G

Not buying another valve game until Half life 2 episode 3 is released...a promise is a promise.

codeman03xx

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Come on people Portal was a terrible game. Ive had better puzzle solving stuff in Tomb raider and half-life 1. LOL. Will not be buying portal two 1 was a waste of time. MAKE HALF-LIFE 3 already.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Advertising is serious business, AMIRITE?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I think it will add new perspective. I bet they do a better job than an ad agency would. Game devs tend to be more in tune with gamers, their sense of humor and what appeals to them.

G

8 weeks for ads...your a gaming studio, make a game. How about Valve stops taking 8 years to make a freaking sequel? Your main character doesn't even speak, it can't be that hard FFS. (j/k, all you fanboys can relax)
Feels good to vent every now and then :)

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Hey great, so is the game going to be cheaper then, or are you just going to take more money Valve?

I'm all for cutting out the marketing and physical media and the devs getting more money but they really should pass those savings on to us.

G

umm excuse me but valve make everything awesome ( except hats). and even if the ads are bad, you think bad ads = bad game? right right mr. troll that is some extreme retarded thinking

ltbob

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
EXCELLENT

You know whats great I hope they're doing the commercial with the source engine... because wow everyone would want a piece of that huh? Virtual commercials :)

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
This is extremely disappointing to read... Valve's explanation has no logic. I can understand Valve feeling ripped off by ad agencies that don't meet their expectations or being unsatisfied with previous advertising campaigns... but this just highlights their inability to find ad agency that they can work with. As Lombardi says, you wouldn't expect anyone else to understand Portal 2 better than Valve... absolutely no argument from me there, but do Valve understand their target market or how to communicate to them or excite them or drive them to purchase. I imagine if Doug got a haircut he was disappointed with, he would give it a go himself? I hope in the future Valve stick with creating games, something they do extremely well.

I look forward to seeing Valve's ad, my expectations are extremely low (unlike my expectations of Portal 2)

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Explain this logic. Oh wait, you can't, because it's effing retarded.

FlukieLukie

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I think they are smart for having it on constant deal for pre-order therefore giving constant advertising without pissing off third parties by only displaying their content on their service.

Can't wait for the game.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Damn, people fell for what Killer said.

Anyways, the Valve team have always loved to make entirely new animations. They hardly reuse previous game animations, and try to adopt hundreds to thousands of little animations that most people won't pay attention to. I enjoy seeing new animations, especially the left4dead series where zombies will fall and stagger back to their feet. Their previous series never had that, so you can see the large amount of detail they try to enhance each new game with.

With Portal 2, I hope to see all the new features.

Status
Not open for further replies.