Valve Skipping Ad Agencies With Portal 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]mottamort[/nom]Games have adverts? I cannot think I've ever seen one (besides on websites..and that was before I installed adblock )Granted I don't live in the US, so maybe they aren't global ad's[/citation]

Yep. I haven't seen a portal one yet, but a lot of AAA games get TV spots over here nowadays. Some of them are even pretty good. (Although not my thing, the "there's a soldier in all of us" for Modern Warfare springs to mind.)

G

Looking at valve's TF2 short's this is a pretty easy win for them. Their animators produce some pretty good PR material for their games, they can easily create their own ad's.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Mainly multi platform games (excluding the Wii mostly, although Wii exclusives have Ads on television) get Ads. I believe the short Orange Box Ad was on television, after it was released on all platforms. I must say though, I'm glad to see Valve games having their own commercials simply because...well Valve did it like they did, where a third party would use 5 small clips with Portal or some other music involved.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Nice to see the world kicking sand in killerclick's face.

I feel like most game trailers aren't even aimed at me. Their aimed at someoverly wealthy middleschooler.

I haven't enjoyed a game marketting campaign this much since... well I don't know when.

G

Did anyone even WATCH the trailer they came up with? It's genius; Simple. Direct. Seamless.

While the COD/MOH/BF trailers are always EPIC, they're all the same. They flash some intense seens, sneak in some praise quotes, and add LOUD NOISES.

You can easily picture such a trailer for Portal, but it's not appropriate for the game. I think what they've come up with here is perfect. Thumbs up to Valve for stickin' it to the man.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I hope the game fails miserably. Stupid devs, having them make advertising is like having a movie director make games - won't work.[/citation]

He works for the ad agency that lost the contract to advertise Portal 2:p

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The ad shown here has PERSONALITY. That is what the target audience loved about the game. Besides, anyone who thinks Valve cannot make good advertising has never seen any of the Team Fortress shorts -- clearly they know what they are doing.

foogoo

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I have already bought and played portal 2 in my mind. I can hardly remember a time when it didn't exist. So far i think they have done a good job with the marketing!

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
To be honest, that may be one of my favorite advertisements to date. Why?
It first shows the humor of the game, which is entertaining. It then goes straight into the action.
I love a good action game, and I love a good co-op game. I was only mildly interested in Portal 2 before, but now I'm considering the preorder.
Set up a rig beside my own and grab my brother, and have a little 2 person LAN, screaming at each other to shoot a portal before we hit the ground and die, flying through the air, and probably respawning several hundred times.
I just went and watched the co-op trailer, and now I know I'm certainly going to get it.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Portal has a fan base that does not just like Portal but LOVES it. Valve is trying to address these people instead of all the tomb raider or shooter fans out there who might check portal out. Keeping your fans happy is a key to keeping your success. Trying to please everybody often enough leads to unhappy customers that will move on to the next big thing. I wish Valve all the success. They have proven all right so far in keeping fans happy and not being pressured to dumb down their games to the level needed for mass adoption with reward a quick buck (big buck though).

Status
Not open for further replies.