Valve Wants EA's Games Back on Steam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]Wow. What a bunch of whiney babies. EA did not pull off of steam because they wanted to create a competing service. They pulled off of steam becase STEAM screwed up. Not EA. Steam was trying to force them to do things their way, and their way only. EA was willing to do things their way, but not have their way the only way. They wanted to give their customers OPTIONS instead of having to get everything through a single content provider.You people that keep saying that you're not buying it if it isn't on steam need to get a grip. Steam caused it to not be on steam. Not EA. And you can't compare a service that has been available less than a year, to one that has been around for over 10. Of course origin is not on the same level as steam. It takes time to mature.[/citation]
steam doesnt allow such things and EA knew that, and it is EA that wanted to do things their way on steam. EA cried because they didnt want to give steam any more money for whats sold on steam(they tried to get freebies in a way).

G

[citation][nom]phate[/nom]There are PC games outside of Steam ? News to me...and my wallet.[/citation]

I still buy the discs :D

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I personally hate steam, "steam connect failed"... "connection to steam servers lost"... smd, i paid altogether around 200 dollars for all of the games that i have purchased through steam, and that is not including DLC. and for what? for them to decide that they want to make a few adjustments to their servers as soon as i decide to sit down and play a game (every single time i swear). i hope that EA Origin is awesome and takes over and buys out steam, or maybe they can come together and create something amazing and finally convince the world that the pc is the only way to game. bottom line is steam only survived as long as it did because there was nothing of the like to give it any competition now that its happening maybe they will step their game up

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I think it goes back to shareholders....EAs "real" customers are the shareholders and not the people buying the finished product. This shows in the decisions they make. EA has to do whatever it can to get penetration for it's distribution platform. The more people that have Origin installed, the better EA's graphs look in the shareholder meeting. The graphs are what the shareholders worship. Those sheets of paper don't care how (or why) the software was installed on everyone's computers, just that it's there. By extension, EA does not care what you think of their software. They are obligated by their graphs to force it down our throats by whatever means necessary.....even if it means that they loose revenue by taking games away from steam....even if it means pissing off their "fake" customers by forcing these customers to install things they don't want.

In the end, the graph that EAs "real" customers see shows a line going straight up.

Isn't Valve a competing developer to EA and all the other developers? Don't they(developers) have a right to make money from their own products, instead of lining a competitors pockets? When was the last time you saw Ford paying Chev to sell new cars on their lots? Same thing isn't it?

G

I buy over 95% of my games on steam. Of the 270 games I have, 262 of them are on steam, and I have about 15 on DVD/CD (the overlap is games that I have purchased on steam when they became available, because I can't be bothered with CDs) and most of the other 8 games I purchased before steam had such a big catalog of games, my most recent Disc purchase was simply because I wanted the collectables that came with the game. I am aware that there are other download services, but I don't want my PC clogged up with multiple download services, and Steam pauses downloads when playing games, making online play work better, but if I had multiple download services, would they all be able to pause the other services to prevent downloads while playing games?

Moral of the story - if it is not on Steam, I am not likely to buy it.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
This is sad but, Because of the move to some crap called origin, I'm getting the game on xbox instead and prolly pirating the game for pc. I was planning on getting it on steam to play with a buddy of mine, but i'm not up for installing a crap load of clients to plays games. I'm also starting to really hate EA.

delrey

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
First of all, I like Steam like many of you do. However, it's not perfect. Their support is quite terrible, as someone stated above. And they have the right to take your license away on any game you own with them, for any reason. As for Origin, it does run rather well. And to those that are complaining about it, it's still in Beta, do your part and report your problems so they can fix it for you and others. And EA is not the only one using a service like Origin. Blizzard is using Battle.net for their current and future games. You do everything on Battle.net. And I will never let a service (Steam or Origin) ever keep me from getting a game that I want to play ever. If I don't want to get from Steam or Origin, I buy from a retail store. Shocking on how well that works, isn't it?

delrey

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
[citation][nom]HaydenR[/nom] I am aware that there are other download services, but I don't want my PC clogged up with multiple download services, and Steam pauses downloads when playing games, making online play work better, but if I had multiple download services, would they all be able to pause the other services to prevent downloads while playing games?Moral of the story - if it is not on Steam, I am not likely to buy it.[/citation]

I can see where you are going with multiple services, but this is what I do. If I'm not going to play a game I have on Steam, I have it turned off. Same goes with Origin. I only have the services I'm ready to use up and running.

G

So what,
Blizzard has battlenet, EA has Origin, the rest is on steam ...
who cares where you download the game.
All you complaining about whaaaa whaaa it's not on steam ... are probably on
derpbook anyways ... nobody cares.

templinc

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Why the should valve get anything for software they had no hand in? Here's what's really going on, Valve can't keep up with the gaming world (where's the next Half-Life?), so they are trying to leech off of everyone else's success. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Valve's software when it actually comes out, but they have a long history of lagging far, far behind and not being able to please their fan base. All you gamers that can't function unless everything and anything is on steam make me laugh! Valve/Steam will cave! Or they will see everything migrate over to Origin.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Valve is a business, they aren't your pals. They want to make money too, if they aren't making money they aren't staying open as a business. Being nice to you and giving you deals is part of their money making scheme. Do you know why? Look at the Steam fanboys and you have your answer. "I just use Steam, I won't use anything else, all my games are on Steam".

Yeah, that's what they want. They want you to be loyal dogs to them as competition arises. Once the competition is gone and they're the only game in town, they can treat you however they want, because you have no other choice. Your games on Steam are not your games. If they were you could take them to other platforms if you wanted. Every game on Steam is theirs, they just let you play it.

Loyalty is their most valuable asset, because the deeper you're in with them the less likely you are to leave. Buy a holiday bundle for super cheap, you're only going to play a few of the games anyway but now you'll feel as if you have to get future games from them, at full retail price. You aren't going to buy anything from service B because all your achievements are on Steam. Your friends want to play with you right? Better bring them to Steam too.

EA has the right to give you whatever terms they want for their games. You're free to not play it if the game is bad, the service is bad, or it installs too much junk for you, and there's no one to blame but them, but they still have the right to make that choice and distro their own content how they want.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Anyways EA games are the most buggy I've ever seen. All their games are tend to crash anytime: The sims 1,2,3, need for speed underground 1 & 2, most wanted, carbon, even sim city 4, all those crashes anytime. So in the end I only play Simcity4 and I've put all the other EA games disks into my paper shredder so that no other will get pissed by EA!!

G

Not a problem at all, don't use Steam, can't stand the service, and don't use EA Games, can't stand them anymore as well. I was interested in SWTOR but since EA is the publisher, forget it.

All my cash goes to developers like arena net, bring on GW2, they will get my money full price on day of release for multiple copies for myself, family and friends, all the money I've been saving over the year by not supporting the likes of EA, Ubisoft, Activision and the like.

Not saying steam are bad, just hate download services like steam.

zeroabg

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
"Isn't Valve a competing developer to EA and all the other developers? Don't they(developers) have a right to make money from their own products, instead of lining a competitors pockets? When was the last time you saw Ford paying Chev to sell new cars on their lots? Same thing isn't it?"

Not if Chevy had every other car in the country on their lot.

zeroabg

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
"Isn't Valve a competing developer to EA and all the other developers? Don't they(developers) have a right to make money from their own products, instead of lining a competitors pockets? When was the last time you saw Ford paying Chev to sell new cars on their lots? Same thing isn't it?"

Not if Chevy had every other car in the country on their lot.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I've never purchased an EA title, and don't know what I'm missing. Still, I hope that EA does come back to Steam, as obviously they do put out great games, and it's a pity that they're not on lovable Steam anymore. :)

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nisallik[/nom]Hopefully EA can work out something with Steam to make it work and maybe something they finally come to agreement will hopefully decrease the cuts Steam take from DLC. Which means more money for the developers that make them. ;p[/citation]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. EA. GIVING MONEY. . . to developers. . AHAHAHAHAHA

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]I highly doubt that. Unless all you play is Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, too many good games come out of EA for you to just abandon them over this.ME3, BF3, Madden, and more come out of that studio.At least for me I could never go without ME3, ever. Good thing I'm buying it for Xbox though, he he.[/citation]

EA only makes one game i care about and thats battlefield.. the rest are poop.

To the ones saying just use someone else why be loyal to steam. Im not i preffer organization. Steam has and has had what i wanted from day one. Dispite what was said no valve cant yank your licence just becase they want to. They can however lock you out of vac servers if you cheat. thats totaly fine by me. If your a cheating my wise and beautiful friend and are complaining i dont care. I have tons of games on cd and dvd i paid for.. Cant find a disk for one of them alot of wasted money. On steam well i dont have that problem just download and play. those two things are why i use it and the only reasons i need. Dont care if you like them or not or think its a good enough reason to pass up games.

jeremy1183

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I own all my stuff on steam and it's going to bother me greatly when I am jumping between MW3 and BF3 and keep having to launch and close clients to play them. Sell them on both and let the buyer decide. People who hate steam can just use origin and then the steam loyalist can just use steam. too easy.

General Techniq

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
@sincreator:
Your rational comment might fall on deaf ears around here. Oddly, enough, it seems this place has been infested with platform fanboys of an unusual variety.
It's ridiculous to expect EA to dance to a competing publisher's tune. Especially, for the tiny bump in revenue that all the hassle garners them.

EA stood up to Microsoft's Xbox Live policies when no one else would. They refused to publish Online-enabled games for the Xbox until Microsoft agreed to let them have more control over their titles (dedicated servers, dlc, etc..).
Guess what? Microsoft complied with their wishes in the end, resulting in EA, Microsoft, all other developers/publishers, and XboxLive's playerbase being much better off for it.

They didn't put up with Microsoft's crap, and was willing (and actually DID) throw away millions in unit sales to gain a more sound future for their goals.
What on earth would make you think they'd endlessly put up with Valve's crap, for the tiny percentage of sales that they get from steam... lining Valve's pockets at the same time? That's the definition of "irrationality" and "ignorant fanboyism"

Status
Not open for further replies.