Valve Wants EA's Games Back on Steam

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

General Techniq

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]sincreator[/nom]Isn't Valve a competing developer to EA and all the other developers? Don't they(developers) have a right to make money from their own products, instead of lining a competitors pockets? When was the last time you saw Ford paying Chev to sell new cars on their lots? Same thing isn't it?[/citation]
Your rational comment might fall on deaf ears around here. Oddly, enough, it seems this place has been infested with platform fanboys of an unusual variety.
It's ridiculous to expect EA to dance to a competing publisher's tune. Especially, for the tiny bump in revenue that all the hassle garners them.

EA stood up to Microsoft's Xbox Live policies when no one else would. They refused to publish Online-enabled games for the Xbox until Microsoft agreed to let them have more control over their titles (dedicated servers, dlc, etc..).
Guess what? Microsoft complied with their wishes in the end, resulting in EA, Microsoft, all other developers/publishers, and XboxLive's playerbase being much better off for it.

They didn't put up with Microsoft's crap, and was willing (and actually DID) throw away millions in unit sales to gain a more sound future for their goals.
What on earth would make you think they'd endlessly put up with Valve's crap, for the tiny percentage of sales that they get from steam... lining Valve's pockets at the same time? That's the definition of "irrationality" and "ignorant fanboyism"

delrey

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/ The link for the above post. Wouldn't show the link for some reason.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
EA doesn't get it. To them its all about the money.
People don't want to have to user multiple clients just to play their games. Steam is not just about the games either. Steam has social communities where friends can chat and share all accomplishments they done. Sure not everyone cares for this, but the Steam ecosystem is just far superior for gamers than Origin is.

Its far worth it to give Valve the 30% revenue cut, or whatever it is than divide the gaming community. You will be compensated by increased sales and no reputation loss. This hurts the customers most and EA may soon feel this if sales aren't up to expectations.

[citation][nom]nisallik[/nom]Hopefully EA can work out something with Steam to make it work and maybe something they finally come to agreement will hopefully decrease the cuts Steam take from DLC. Which means more money for the developers that make them. ;p[/citation]

I don't think VALVe takes that much. A lot of inde devs use Steam exclusivley and they have nowhere near the budget of EA and plenty have said Steam helped boost sales beyond whything else.

I think that EA wants total control over distribution instead of using Steam. Not sure why since you can distribute DLC via Steam and charge.

[citation][nom]sincreator[/nom]Isn't Valve a competing developer to EA and all the other developers? Don't they(developers) have a right to make money from their own products, instead of lining a competitors pockets? When was the last time you saw Ford paying Chev to sell new cars on their lots? Same thing isn't it?[/citation]

Yes VALVe is a competing but Steam is there for the consumer, and if that means having competing titles then it will.

[citation][nom]templinc[/nom]Why the F should valve get anything for software they had no hand in? Here's what's really going on, Valve can't keep up with the gaming world (where's the next Half-Life?), so they are trying to leech off of everyone else's success. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Valve's software when it actually comes out, but they have a long history of lagging far, far behind and not being able to please their fan base. All you gamers that can't function unless everything and anything is on steam make me laugh! Valve/Steam will cave! Or they will see everything migrate over to Origin.[/citation]

Because they are distributing said software. EA gets a part of every retail, meaning store bought, VALVe game that sells. Because they distribute and advertise it. Steam distributes and advertises the games on Steam therefore they get paid to do so.

Its quite simple really.

As for laggin, sure EP3 is not out but honestly Portal 2 was the best game I have played this year and DOTA2 looks quite good.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
ugh I was soo pissed off when Crysis 2 went off Steam, where I initially purchased it. Then came the map pack, where it took me forever to figure out where/how to download it because it wasn't just automatically available on Steam. I was thinking at first I needed to buy the game again but I finally figured it out. You upgrade it within the game.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]I used to be a huge Steam advocate... until they repeatedly screwed me with their atrocious customer service. I've contact both companies a few times for support. Valve has NEVER helped me in 5 separate tickets. EA, on the other hand, has gone great lengths to help me and even gave me $20 towards a game as compensation.Frankly, if Steam support continues to be this horrible, I wouldn't mind buying games on Origin for peace of mind alone.[/citation]

lucky, i spent 2 months being shoved to ea and than being shoved to steam when an online code for a game wouldn't work.

of the 2, steam was less douchey and tried to help, while ea were... done want another sanction... but basically told me to go "blank" myself on the third email. steam at least tried to do everything, but give me a different online code. so i had to wait till i saw the game on sale for about 10$ before i bought it again... bfbc2 fyi

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]SC2 (Blizzard) wasn't on Steam. Maybe there should be an "open standard" developed as a collective among these companies that addresses the issue of original title, patches, DLC, release date, encryption, portability to another PC, protection, etc. The Steam Client excels in all of these areas, so I see Valve owning the bearshare of this.[/citation]

SC2 may not have been on Steam, but it also didn't require you to install an additional game manager to play it. That's the source of the debate here.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Competition is good for business. I know this will be downranked a lot because I'm not a huge fan of Steam, but it's nice to be able to play an EA game and NOT have to run Origin. However, I can buy non Valve games off the shelf, like Fallout New Vegas and I am forced to install Steam to run the game, even though I did not buy it from Steam. To me, Steam is trying to force their way onto our systems and make themselves the only game (pardon the expression) around. I know I will give up games before I will ever be forced onto Steam.

And why should EA, or any other company, be forced to sell or provide DLC through Steam? In the original Dragon Age I could get DLC through the game client, but Steam doesn't want that. Sounds like they are trying to force other developers into doing things how they want which leaves Valve essentially dictating to every developer and publisher out there how to do business.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]EA doesn't get it. To them its all about the money.People don't want to have to user multiple clients just to play their games. Steam is not just about the games either. Steam has social communities where friends can chat and share all accomplishments they done. Sure not everyone cares for this, but the Steam ecosystem is just far superior for gamers than Origin is.Its far worth it to give Valve the 30% revenue cut, or whatever it is than divide the gaming community. You will be compensated by increased sales and no reputation loss. This hurts the customers most and EA may soon feel this if sales aren't up to expectations.[/citation]
EA is all about money? Sorry, I think it's the other way around.

Why does Valve insist on Bethesday, a competitor, to make Steam non optional to play a game that was not even purchased on Steam? Sorry, that's Valve being all about the money. I have yet to see EA force another developer use Origin for a retail shelf product. The moment they do, I will no longer use Origin.

But my PC is mine, not Valve's and I will not allow them to tell me how to play and buy games.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]EA is all about money? Sorry, I think it's the other way around.Why does Valve insist on Bethesday, a competitor, to make Steam non optional to play a game that was not even purchased on Steam? Sorry, that's Valve being all about the money. I have yet to see EA force another developer use Origin for a retail shelf product. The moment they do, I will no longer use Origin.But my PC is mine, not Valve's and I will not allow them to tell me how to play and buy games.[/citation]
valve doesnt force anyone on steam. Most publishers put their games on steam of their own will, because of its fanbase of honest gamers and the good drm. Bethesda in a way isnt a competitor because theyre making money for valve. In gaming business, competition is the company that takes away customers with its product, valve is only gaining customers to its steam network. EA wants to make money on steam without paying their cut to valve.

G

as if valve is any better,they too force you to install steam to play their games,even if you got it on disk you will have to use the online download service.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]valve doesnt force anyone on steam. Most publishers put their games on steam of their own will, because of its fanbase of honest gamers and the good drm. Bethesda in a way isnt a competitor because theyre making money for valve. In gaming business, competition is the company that takes away customers with its product, valve is only gaining customers to its steam network. EA wants to make money on steam without paying their cut to valve.[/citation]
Then explain to me WHY, buying a retail version of Fallout New Vegas that in order to play it, i HAVE to install Steam? I don't want to buy it through Steam.

Sorry, but that is making Steam be very invasive. If I want to be a Bethesda customer, let me be their customer. Valve shouldn't insert themselves into the equation.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
EA just put a nail in BF3's sales by not putting it on steam. They claim that their game will beat COD? Well EA, COD MW3 is on steam and like it or not, far more folks would order it on steam than ever would probably buy BF3 on origin, a pathetic steam clone.

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
Steam made PC gaming nearly as easy and hassle free as console gaming; arguable this gave PC gaming a boost of fresh life.

ie: Who would of thought ID could make money on selling Commander Keen again? -- steam made that possible by advertising it and making it hassle free to get working.

I hope steam can save its relationship with EA for the sake of gamers. I fear not though. Having said that though, I have used EA's Origin and it is functional and does the same thing as Steam, so there is some hope that all will work out.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Steam makes PC gaming easy... click, buy, auto update, link up with friends etc. The debate here is that multiple clients (not just registering online for dedicated server multiplayer) increases the complexity of PC gaming again, making it appear full of hassle and troubles to the masses considering a switch from consoles. That is why it is a shame that one of this years biggest games is an Origin exclusive... it's moving us in the other direction again. I hope EA and Valve can work something out, even if that means Valve giving up some control, because being able to get by with a single distribution service does make PC gaming more appealing to the masses.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
The idea of using different platforms in order to play different games (Steam, GFWL and now EA's client) gives me nightmares! I truly and absolutely HATE GFWL! Steam, still doable. Now with EA's own client coming into play.....I think I'll throw a fit!!

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
when all is said and done, currently steam rules. i neither like or hate it. it is convinent.

in the near future however i believe OnLive will be the way to play games. if valve and onlive ever make an agreement to allow me to own games on both with one purchase and everything i have already purchased then i would move to onlive. the only reason i havent is that they dont have any new games i am insterested in and i dont want to rebuy the old games that they do have that i want.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Then explain to me WHY, buying a retail version of Fallout New Vegas that in order to play it, i HAVE to install Steam? I don't want to buy it through Steam.Sorry, but that is making Steam be very invasive. If I want to be a Bethesda customer, let me be their customer. Valve shouldn't insert themselves into the equation.[/citation]
like I said bethesda goes to steam of their own free will most likely because it has good drm and an easy convenient update system. Games that require steam activation are usually safe from pirating, Fallout 3(a non steam required game) was pirated almost immediately when it came out, so they moved to the convenient system that nearly every pc gamer uses regularly. And advertising on steam is better than others. Alot of games have required steam activation through steam for the same reason.

If you see something convenient that makes you money and saves you money at the same time for a small fee, wouldnt you do the same thing?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
No way Jose,, when I buy a game at a brick and mortar store I expect to be able to play the single player version without having to ask someone in "wherever" for their permission to play it on my computer, when I want their opinion I will give it to them ,, if I were playing online,, well that is a different story, but single player,, it is my computer and I will use it my way or the highway..............:)

coverfire

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
I view it as limiting to put all their eggs in origin. I would think it would make more sense to launch origin while still selling EA games on Steam. Once they have worked out the bugs and the user base they could then rethink their position on staying with steam. Also gives them a way out if Origin turns into a steaming pile, I doubt that will be the case overall for Origin. Long term financial Origin looks good, short term it looks bad. Long term once development and all the logistics are worked out your overhead can be reduced and streamlined. Short term you have to spend more money to work on its development, servers, more employees for support ETC. hence why I think they should do both for now and limit the kick in the balls financially for starting a download service :) Out of curiosity did they say they were going to sell anything other than EA titles on Origin (may have mised that). If it turns out origin is great, I have no problems using both clients, EXCEPT for the fact I have a slow internet connection and I like to keep Steam open to download updates while I'm away from my computer. Having to clients will impact my internet speeds significantly but thats my problem not theirs.

theonlydz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
i've never had a problem connecting to steam.

[citation][nom]joemama069[/nom]I personally hate steam, "steam connect failed"... "connection to steam servers lost"... smd, i paid altogether around 200 dollars for all of the games that i have purchased through steam, and that is not including DLC. and for what? for them to decide that they want to make a few adjustments to their servers as soon as i decide to sit down and play a game (every single time i swear). i hope that EA Origin is awesome and takes over and buys out steam, or maybe they can come together and create something amazing and finally convince the world that the pc is the only way to game. bottom line is steam only survived as long as it did because there was nothing of the like to give it any competition now that its happening maybe they will step their game up[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.