Valve's Chet Faliszek Nukes Rumors of Half-Life 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Who cares? Build a bridge and get over it. Even if there was a HL3 there's a fat chance it couldn't be as awesome as it's predecessors; as with most (in general on the average) sequels.

4745454b

Titan
I wouldn't care too much about HL3, but what gets me is the "lying" about the episodes. Rather then make one big game they said they would make "episodic gaming" where they come out more often, at a cheaper price, and with all the new bells and whistles that they can cram into the game engine. That was YEARS ago. We've had TWO episodes show up. Cheaper price? Hardly. If they want to do episodic gaming that's fine with me. But so far, they seem to be more concerned about making now and other titles then staying with what we want. Valve, we want HL! Send it our way please.

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Why would I believe anything that anybody says regarding the HL series? The comunity knows nothing of the matter while developers and publishers constantly lie their teeth out in order to protect their own interests until it's "time" to reveal something.

Did half life 2 as well as the episodes sell particulary bad or something? No... they sold like all living hell. Some of the best selling games of all time. We were also promissed a third episode. Gabe Newell and crew confirmed at ceveral occasions that they were working on it. But it never arrived.

So... either Valve doesn't like money or they're hard at work at finishing or reworking the material of ep3 into something bigger.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Valve is the meanest and smartest rumor machine out there!

They must have been working on something big for a while now. Yes, they've been busy with Steam, but they have a dedicated team of game programmers, writers, graphists, etc. Surely they don't waste these people skills on the Steam UI and engine.

My opinion, based on absolutely nothing, is that they're developping Source 2 and Half-Life 3 at the same time. I expect an announcement around the second quarter of 2012. A release date? AH! Try late 2013.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
This article is misleading. There is no mention anywhere that the Half-Life 3 is NOT in development. It could very well be. Gabe has always been very tight-lipped about announcement of HL3. Why would that change all of a sudden?

Chet is simply trying to control the amount of trolling going on in the black-aperture.com site and anything related to the rumor mill started from the community. It's smart idea to let people in on the facts and not some BS that someone in the community makes up.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
What a douche bag. Nice way to get people riled up for no reason. Obviously if you wear a HL3 shirt people are going to suspect something.

Anyway with the amount of time that has passed since HL2: Episode 2, I really think the franchise is losing steam (no pun intended).

I notice none of the younger gamer kids even know about Half Life. With all the waiting I hope they don't set themselves up for a fail. When the game finally does release it is going to have to be as earth-shattering as HL2 was.

[citation][nom]kettu[/nom]It's perfectly fine. HL2 is still one of the best shooters around. Gameplay is much more important than fancy graphics.[/citation]
But who wants a remake of HL2? Sure it was good, but I want something new.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
to be honest this looks more like Duke Nukem Forever.. it took ages to release game and at the end it was just meh most of hype was already down and new generation of gamers didn't care about it, while previous generation didn't care about it anymore because it took too long for them to release and I am kinda having this feelingfor HL2E3 or HL3, I loved HL1, HL2 but how much longer can we wait without anything, I got feeling sooner or later even gaming press won't care about it anymore because all they are getting is.. nothing.. there isn't even point interview Gabe because all you will get is nothing.

about gameplay, it was cool for that time, HL2, E1, E2 was best experience I had back then and E3 would be perfect finish for it, but now I got feeling it won't be able to offer anything as big as previous games.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Chet didn't write that half-life 3 wasn't in development. He wrote that the approved leak rumor was false. Perfect title - got all us suckers to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.