[SOLVED] Variety of BSODs, hard audio loops, and a random restart out of nowhere. WIN 10

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I've had my PC for about 7 months, and it's had it's fair share of issues. Most frustrating, however, are frequent BSODs happening out of random. I've gotten blue screens saying the error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL twice, one PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, and one SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, each one paired with an audio loop lasting for as long as the blue screen is up. One time was just the audio loop for a couple of seconds until my PC restarted automatically. No prompt, nothing. It just took me to the boot screen, and to the sign-in screen shortly after. Also, besides the restart out of nowhere, Windows never restarts after a blue screen. The error collecting gets to 100% and freezes from what I can tell.

I've run SFC tests plenty of times, always the same thing, "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." I've also run DISM, and it was unable to find source files. I'm at a loss here. I've called my PC's manufacturer's Tech support, and he had me reinstall Windows. It seemed like it fixed my problem, but the opposite was true. I'm not sure what the issue is coming from. I read somewhere that it could be because of driver issues? It could possibly be due to a program I downloaded both times (before the reinstall, and after) called Voicemeeter Banana. I use the program to split audio from different sources so it's easier to edit when I record. It also uses a virtual audio cable to route said sources. I looked for about an hour to see if anyone else was having the same issue with that specific program, but came up short.

Now, after getting another BSOD, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, I completely uninstalled Voicemeeter Banana and the virtual audio cable. Did an SFC scan, but there's still corrupted files that it can't fix. I don't know what to do anymore. I just set the thingy to gather a small dump file after the next BSOD, so I'll edit this post then. If there's anything you need me to provide, just let me know. Thank you for any sort of help.

PC: Skytech Oracle X
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
Ram: 16GB DDR4 Gaming Memory with Heat Spreader 2400 MHz
Storage: 240GB SSD / 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6

Solution
Any error count above zero is too high so you need new ram. You can rma them as failing Memtest is usually all you need to get them to replace it. Since its part of a set, you would need to replace both even though 1 works. Its up to you how you proceed.

I don't think Prime is needed now, its the stick.

it could have been ram all along, causing windows to corrupt. At least you are on latest BIOS now

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

I could have helped with DISM without a fresh install, but its fixed now I guess.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

I could have helped with DISM without a fresh install, but its fixed now I guess.
I didn't have time to update, but a ton has happened since then. After shutting the pc down for about an hour, I came back to it not posting. It would come on, and turn off repeatedly. I breadboarded it, and nothing changed. So, I put everything back in place, all except the ram, which were now in different slots that were unused before, and the pc came on. This time however, I was literally getting different BSODs every 5 minutes or so. Here are the minidumps in a zip file. There are three. https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Ycz0TgBqJb7hx6on1gvBW9KaMVmLWbz/view?usp=sharing

I was frustrated, so I did everything that the internet suggested for each BSOD stop code. Running chkdsk, taking out the battery in case it was a BIOS error, and I even went through and updated every single one of the drivers in device manager. None of it worked. Something I never tried, though, was the Windows Memory Diagnostic program, which pointed out that I had faulty hardware the second it started scanning. So, I took out one of the ram sticks. No more warning. Haven't had a BSOD since then. (Knock on wood.) What I'm guessing is that the stick of ram I took out was faulty, but what was up with all the BSODs? I've been getting them before, but not one after the other like that.

This is great and all, but I'm still at a loss when it comes to SFC and DISM. Both of them still say the same thing. SFC still finds a corruption, and DISM can't find the source files.

Thanks, for replying so quickly by the way. I wasn't expecting to get a reply at all, much less one so quickly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1903

if you are on that version now, try this to fix the source question dism has
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

If you not on 1903 now, I would suggest updating, version updates replace the image files that DISM uses to fix SFC

You can check ram using this - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. IF both sticks are new, you better off RMA the pair and get 2 good ones. Waste of money otherwise. If it fails memtest, thats usually enough for them to replace.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1903

if you are on that version now, try this to fix the source question dism has
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

If you not on 1903 now, I would suggest updating, version updates replace the image files that DISM uses to fix SFC

You can check ram using this - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. IF both sticks are new, you better off RMA the pair and get 2 good ones. Waste of money otherwise. If it fails memtest, thats usually enough for them to replace.
Unfortunately I'm still met with the same result.
--
"C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:F:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18362.329

[===========================90.5%==================== ]
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

--
I mounted the Windows ISO on my F: drive with PowerISO. Should I try it again in Safe Mode? I'm downloading Memtest86 right now. Thanks.

Here's what the ISO looks like.
UEODr25.png

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/fDxp.html
File information:090319-9890-01.dmp (Sep 3 2019 - 03:16:00)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: WmiPrvSE.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File information:090319-10875-01.dmp (Sep 3 2019 - 02:34:05)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: audiodg.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)

File information:090319-10015-01.dmp (Sep 3 2019 - 03:01:57)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: steamwebhelper)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 26 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)
BIOS info was not included in the 1st dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
See steps 1 & 2 here for a fix to the DISM error - https://www.wintips.org/fix-dism-0x800f081f-error-in-windows-10-8/ (you may be able to start from step 2 since you already have iso mounted.

If this doesn't work, we can always do a repair install, which will only touch windows, all your info will be left as is. All it does is installs the last version update again, removes any cumulative updates you have had since - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

2nd bsod was in AudioDG.exe. that is windows Audio Data Graph. Your PC downloaded the realtek drivers from Microsoft webstore (as per your motherboards driver page). So not even sure which version you on, windows should update it when needed.

Have you run the Asrock APP Shop on your PC to see if you have latest drivers? and Bios?
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4/index.asp#Download

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
See steps 1 & 2 here for a fix to the DISM error - https://www.wintips.org/fix-dism-0x800f081f-error-in-windows-10-8/ (you may be able to start from step 2 since you already have iso mounted.

If this doesn't work, we can always do a repair install, which will only touch windows, all your info will be left as is. All it does is installs the last version update again, removes any cumulative updates you have had since - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

2nd bsod was in AudioDG.exe. that is windows Audio Data Graph. Your PC downloaded the realtek drivers from Microsoft webstore (as per your motherboards driver page). So not even sure which version you on, windows should update it when needed.

Have you run the Asrock APP Shop on your PC to see if you have latest drivers? and Bios?
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4/index.asp#Download
I got to the last step of fixing the DISM and was greeted with the same error. I even checked and verified everything that was required in the steps. I'm gonna do the repair install now.

As for the APP Shop, it only showed me three things to update. If I remember, they were Lan drivers, the audio drivers like you mentioned, and something called AMD all in 1 with VGA driver. Nothing for the BIOS from what I can tell. How would I go about updating my BIOS?

Also, while testing the ram with Memtest86, I received no errors. I tested one at a time, 4 passes each. (I could only do four passes. I guess you need the pro version to change how many passes you want it to do.) Afterwards, I was testing each RAM slot with a stick of ram, and when I got to the third slot out of four, the PC did the same thing as before, powering on and off in a constant cycle, not showing any sort of post. So, I made sure I turned it off manually while it was on in the cycle, tried the other RAM slots, but nothing changed. It was still in the cycle. It wasn't until I tried my second stick of RAM in the 1st RAM slot that I got the PC to post and come on. Now I'm not sure if it's the RAM that's faulty, or if it's the RAM slots, or if it's the Motherboard as a whole. And I'm pretty sure the RAM that I used to finally get the pc working again is the one that I thought was faulty before, but I'm not sure. I may have lost track at some point.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/fDxp.html
File information:090319-9890-01.dmp (Sep 3 2019 - 03:16:00)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: WmiPrvSE.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File information:090319-10875-01.dmp (Sep 3 2019 - 02:34:05)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: audiodg.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)

File information:090319-10015-01.dmp (Sep 3 2019 - 03:01:57)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: steamwebhelper)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 26 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)
BIOS info was not included in the 1st dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.
Thanks a bunch!

Colif

Win 11 Master
AMD all in 1 are the chipset drivers, they might help. Its necessary if you were to update bios.

can you look in system information screen in win 10 and tell me what bios version you on now, it should be under the Processors heading

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
This shows how to update BIOS - https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10

But I need to work out what family the CPU is in as BIOS page has warnings about not installing certain BIOS if you have certain chips = *ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

I would check but my internet is being random and I keep getting dns errors even though I am here now.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
AMD all in 1 are the chipset drivers, they might help. Its necessary if you were to update bios.

can you look in system information screen in win 10 and tell me what bios version you on now, it should be under the Processors heading
It says P1.30

Thanks for going through so much trouble

Last edited:

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
This shows how to update BIOS - https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10

But I need to work out what family the CPU is in as BIOS page has warnings about not installing certain BIOS if you have certain chips = *ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

I would check but my internet is being random and I keep getting dns errors even though I am here now.
My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor.

Also, should I put the other stick of RAM back in? I'm still not sure if it's what made my PC go into that cycle, or if it was the RAM slots, or if it was the Motherboard as a whole.

Colif

Win 11 Master
wow... 1.3 is the release version, there are 9 new bios since that version was released...

You need to install version 1.80 first due to age of current bios, and then install 3.4, you cannot install 3.5 as your CPU is part of the families it says not to install that bios update for.

So follow this - https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10 and grab 1.80 and 3.40 but before you do, make sure to get latest AMD all in 1 driver.

read the yellow writing, its important. https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS
BIOS updates could fix your ram problem as well.

Last edited:

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
wow... 1.3 is the release version, there are 9 new bios since that version was released...

You need to install version 1.80 first due to age of current bios, and then install 3.4, you cannot install 3.5 as your CPU is part of the families it says not to install that bios update for.

So follow this - https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10 and grab 1.80 and 3.40 but before you do, make sure to get latest AMD all in 1 driver.

read the yellow writing, its important. https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS
BIOS updates could fix your ram problem as well.
Okay, I finished updating the BIOS, and inserted my other RAM in the second slot. Haven't had any issues with the RAM yet, so that's a good sign.

Now, I haven't repair installed Windows yet like you suggested. Something came up though. Windows Defender refuses to open. It says this, "A problem with Windows is preventing Windows Security from opening. Refreshing your PC might help fix it." Should I continue with the repair installer that you sent, or should I go about refreshing my PC? The steps in the repair option are sorta confusing

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
A repair install keeps all of your installed applications, a refresh only keeps your files and any applications loaded from microsoft store.

Problem with refresh is it will use the image DISM uses, and since its corrupt now, any install based on it may also be corrupt.

What I would do is a clean install instead, it will do same thing as a refresh but Its advantage over a refresh is the files it is using to install are on a USB and hopefully not corrupted. You would lose everything on C drive so copy things over to hdd that you want to save

It will likely fix the BSOD as well if they are driver based.

Clean installs not so bad if you not forced to do them right away, and can take time to prepare and make sure you don't lose anything.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Last edited:

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
A repair install keeps all of your installed applications, a refresh only keeps your files and any applications loaded from microsoft store.

Problem with refresh is it will use the image DISM uses, and since its corrupt now, any install based on it may also be corrupt.

What I would do is a clean install instead, it will do same thing as a refresh but Its advantage over a refresh is the files it is using to install are on a USB and hopefully not corrupted. You would lose everything on C drive so copy things over to hdd that you want to save

It will likely fix the BSOD as well if they are driver based.

Clean installs not so bad if you not forced to do them right away, and can take time to prepare and make sure you don't lose anything.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
Darn I already started the repair install. Should I do this one instead?

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
If repair install works, thats all you need

I assumed from your last post you couldn't work it out
It all worked! Thank you so much!

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18362.329

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

You've been the best help. I would have never figured this out if it wasn't for you. THANK YOU!

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Alright, here's an update. Something strange just happened. I woke up this morning and powered on my pc like usual, left to go get breakfast, and came back to the BSOD SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I used BlueScreenViewer to see what the source of the BSOD was, and it was something called ntoskrnl.exe. After searching and finding out it was related to Memory, I did a quick Memory Diagnostic run, and it found errors two seconds in. So, like before, I ran tests on both of the RAM sticks individually, then after not getting any errors, used one of the RAM sticks to check both RAM slots. Still nothing.

It wasn't until I put both RAM sticks back in and came here to update that I got another BSOD. This time, however, was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, also caused by ntoskrnl.exe. Here's what WhoCrashed gives me.

On Sat 9/7/2019 8:48:24 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090719-9984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C10A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80407A94D72, 0xFFFF86844A334D80, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 9/7/2019 10:58:44 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090719-8906-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C10A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xE0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8060FA05E0E)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Here's the minidumps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GSbT0SyQnpUjs_LVv7e87oAxJ5sAxA0G/view?usp=sharing

I happened to notice that WhoCrashed says both BSODS are software related, but I feel that isn't the case. From what I remember, I've only gotten BSODS while both RAM sticks are inserted. Never individually. Could this be a problem with my Mobo? Let me know if there's anything you need that'll help get to the bottom of this. Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
looks like I jinxed myself again. Should know better than to celebrate early

ntoskrnl - windows kernel. Its more than just memory, its also power management and all driver requests. 90% of the time, whocrashed will blame ntoskrnl as it is what crashed, it doesn't really often tell you why.

looking back, you been getting random errors all along, I should have suggested memtest before now, but with windows being odd and you being 13 bios versions behind, we had a few distractions.

try running this on ram. and if both are fine, try running test with both sticks in at once as it can also be used to test ram slots, since you say you only ever get bsod with 2 sticks in, it might be the slots

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

I think gardenman will likely see this notification later

Last edited:

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
looks like I jinxed myself again. Should know better than to celebrate early

ntoskrnl - windows kernel. Its more than just memory, its also power management and all driver requests. 90% of the time, whocrashed will blame ntoskrnl as it is what crashed, it doesn't really often tell you why.

looking back, you been getting random errors all along, I should have suggested memtest before now, but with windows being odd and you being 13 bios versions behind, we had a few distractions.

try running this on ram. and if both are fine, try running test with both sticks in at once as it can also be used to test ram slots, since you say you only ever get bsod with 2 sticks in, it might be the slots

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

I think gardenman will likely see this notification later
So run each stick in Memtest individually, and afterwards run them at the same time to test the slots? Okay, I can do that. Thanks, I'll update later.

Colif

Win 11 Master