Various issues with Windows 10 installation

May 9, 2018
I have been a lurker/user of this site for years and this is my first time actually asking a question. I have been looking for a fix for about 4-6 weeks now trying as many solutions as I could.

I have a new build, everything new but the tower(which is a bout a 1-2 years old) and I can't successfully install Windows 10 or any other OS. The installation gives me an error (0x80070570, 0xc0000005) or blue screen (Bad pool header, and many others) every time around the 20% point but I have gotten as far as 70%. I used the windows media tool as well as Rufus the first 2 weeks but I decided to just get an actual disk and of course with the same result.

I was able to run W10 with most of what I am currently using but after installing some bad drivers (BSOD) I decided to do a clean install of W10 which is why I am in this trouble. I searched many threads with similar issues but every solution did not help, again my hardware is brand new. Any help at all is very appreciated.

Specs:
MSI B250 Gaming Pro Carbon
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 TI
Intel® Core™ i5-7400 Processor
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (I even bought another to try to fix the problem but no.)
WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s

Solution
Unless your builds are very similar, close gen and same manufacturer that MAY not work. Your drivers will be all wrong, not to mention what it could cause with your entitlement. Might be worth trying anyway though.

I keep an old Intel build Win 7 HD around for just such an instance...in that, so far every generation (Intel) I have tried to boot from, this will at LEAST give me a splash screen before throwing up troubles. Eliminates a lot of guesswork for me on trouble builds. Of course, I haven't tried this on 7/8 gen....

Just curious. Have you tried to run windows off the USB itself? I am not sure I can recall how this goes down with 10, but I remember on 7 you could actually boot from the install disk/media as a "test". It ran like...

DarkEngine

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
The first question I have to ask is 1) Is this a valid version of Win 10? this would explain a lot as this could be corrupt files. This is very broad code but it follows the line of an access Violation error which in short means the application was unable to start correctly. It could be a wide variety of things but questions I must ask. Check ram again
I am new to helping people here and am very wary of people who just sign up and ask these questions that immediately point to fault software I hope you understand. This doesn't mean it is.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
First thought...make sure you are using your USB 2 inputs on the back plane to install Win from USB or External disk. The drivers for your USB 3 won't load till later.

The second error is a bad update file more than likely. The third is in issue with your RAM. Check to see that it is seated and that it's on your mobo compat list

May 9, 2018
The first question I have to ask is 1) Is this a valid version of Win 10? this would explain a lot as this could be corrupt files. This is very broad code but it follows the line of an access Violation error which in short means the application was unable to start correctly. It could be a wide variety of things but questions I must ask. Check ram again
I am new to helping people here and am very wary of people who just sign up and ask these questions that immediately point to fault software I hope you understand. This doesn't mean it is.

I am very sure it is a valid code. Bought on Amazon and was in a sealed envelope. Not trying to get off topic but I have also used other methods as stated with the same issue, which is why I am so confused.

I have the RAM seated in the 2nd slot from the CPU where it should be(Also moved it around just to try) and my motherboard registers that it is there and working. Since I have bought the CD I have not tried installing W10 with the RAM in any other slot though.

Not saying it is a software issue, the only thing I know is that it's a really really annoying issue. I just thought the new hardware part would be nice to know.

May 9, 2018
First thought...make sure you are using your USB 2 inputs on the back plane to install Win from USB or External disk. The drivers for your USB 3 won't load till later.

The second error is a bad update file more than likely. The third is in issue with your RAM. Check to see that it is seated and that it's on your mobo compat list

I have moved my USB in the back because of the whole USB 3.0 issue and the result was the same. Since then though I moved on the just using the W10 DVD instead of a USB.

Everything was working together (played games, etc.) with this RAM and I'm very sure it is compatible. I made sure it was when I made the new build a while back (Again, most of what I have now was used then. I had a working W10 because I already had W10 installed on that HDD.)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Issues like this with previously working install is such a PITA.

I would assume you power up, get "post" and can go to BIOS?
See all your devices there? (well, what you can see anyway)

Have you gone in and tried to reseat your mobo pin connectors, SATA cables, etc? Re seated the RAM?

I might also suggest taking a look at what BIOS you are on if you can get there...although without the USB bus working IDK how you would update it unless you have a (working) internet flash built in.

If you happen to have another unused drive, what happens if you try to Ubuntu (or the like)....just don't do it with the drive you want to use for this build without being really familiar with what those OS do to your format....

May 9, 2018
Issues like this with previously working install is such a PITA.

I would assume you power up, get "post" and can go to BIOS?
See all your devices there? (well, what you can see anyway)

Have you gone in and tried to reseat your mobo pin connectors, SATA cables, etc? Re seated the RAM?

I might also suggest taking a look at what BIOS you are on if you can get there...although without the USB bus working IDK how you would update it unless you have a (working) internet flash built in.

If you happen to have another unused drive, what happens if you try to Ubuntu (or the like)....just don't do it with the drive you want to use for this build without being really familiar with what those OS do to your format....
Yes I can get into post and bios. I only have my keyboard, mouse, and GPU plugged in because I heard you want as little hardware plugged in as possible. Bios is a whole nother story but I messed around tinkering with it a lot and reset it to default every time to be safe.

Even though my MB says nothing is wrong, yes I have reseated everything multiple times.

You're last solution triggered an idea. I will attempt to install W10 on the HDD from another computer and just move it back to my tower (I know I'm dumb... if it works). Even if that does work, it's gonna annoy me that I never found out what the issue was.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unless your builds are very similar, close gen and same manufacturer that MAY not work. Your drivers will be all wrong, not to mention what it could cause with your entitlement. Might be worth trying anyway though.

I keep an old Intel build Win 7 HD around for just such an instance...in that, so far every generation (Intel) I have tried to boot from, this will at LEAST give me a splash screen before throwing up troubles. Eliminates a lot of guesswork for me on trouble builds. Of course, I haven't tried this on 7/8 gen....

Just curious. Have you tried to run windows off the USB itself? I am not sure I can recall how this goes down with 10, but I remember on 7 you could actually boot from the install disk/media as a "test". It ran like crap, but....

Solution
May 9, 2018

Just curious. Have you tried to run windows off the USB itself? I am not sure I can recall how this goes down with 10, but I remember on 7 you could actually boot from the install disk/media as a "test". It ran like crap, but....
I created both builds so most of what's there will be in line with my main build.

I have tried running Windows of the USB quite a lot. Following the website's suggestions I made sure the whole boot process was configured as it should. I am in this whole mess because of my crap luck and my refusal to make a backup... won't ignore backups ever again.

May 9, 2018
Whelp Punk was right, currently a no go but it did get to 100% on the other PC. I even switched HDD's before about a year ago(I moved the other PC's HDD to mine because it had more storage), I'm thinking this is a MB issue. At least I have a new lead I guess.

May 9, 2018
Even though Punk didn't tell me to do what I did exactly, it did trigger the solution and get me thinking.
So like my post said, at first using my HDD didn't work because I rushed it and didn't finish the installation on that other PC (I thought I could finish it on the main).
The second time I made sure I completed it, I made sure by getting to the desktop(after creating an account with your name) with the needed updates, etc.
AND then I moved it over to my main PC.
Everything is working (...so far)

This is a work around and I still don't know why I couldn't install W10 on my build but this worked for me.
Thank you guys for replying, I should've came here earlier.