[SOLVED] Various random BSODs

Feb 23, 2022
Hi! I've been getting a lot of different BSODs for the past few days. Several a day. The system always reboots and works fine until it crashes again some time later. It happens at random times, even when I'm not doing anything on the PC.
I've been having a few BSODs per month for the past few months. However, I couldn't pinpoint the issue and help and advice from a different forum didn't solve it either. It used to happen only a few times per month, so I put off trying to solve it because it wasn't that much of a problem. That is until now that it escalated and I get several BSODs per day.
I get various different types of BSODs, such as:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

Here's my minidump file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t33pujJxy8LJmKWoROANUT-6PDino_pw/view?usp=sharing

I don't know if this information is useful, but when I tried driver verifier upon someone's advice a few months ago, I got stuck in an endless loop of BSODs and I couldn't even boot, until I found a way to turn off driver verifier without booting into windows.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

EDIT:
Here are the specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3500
GPU: GTX 1660 SUPER
MB: ASRock B450M Steel Legend
PSU: Corsair RM550x
RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB DDR4-3200
SSD1: WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe
SSD2: WD Blue SATA SSD M.2
SSD3: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

Last edited:
Solution
the bugcheck was in a filter driver bindflt.sys
this Binds filesystem namespaces to different locations and hides this remapping from the user.
the actual bugcheck:

KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE (162)
A lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock.
This is typically caused when some thread releases a lock on behalf of another
thread (which is not legal with AutoBoost tracking enabled) or when some thread
tries to release a lock it no longer owns.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffff898fa02d9080, The address of the thread
Arg2: ffff898f9a37e040, The lock address
Arg3: 00000000ffffffff, The session ID of the thread
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Reserved

-------------

you might see if you need to apply a windows...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Overall, in my mind, increasing numbers of errors and varying errors is a sign of a faulty/failing PSU.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? History of heavy use for gaming, video work, or bit-mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer - what errors do you see?

Feb 23, 2022
Thanks for the reply.

I've added hardware specs and OS information, but if there's some standard way how and what specs and system info to include, please let me know.

I started using the PC in September 2020 and all parts were new. I haven't done any mining. I edit some videos but only once in a while and I don't do any heavy editing that would put the system under heavy load for a long time. Some gaming, but not more than a few hours at max in a row and not every day.

Under Errors in Event Viewer, I see event IDs 2, 28, 65, 1001, 6008 in the past 24 hours.
In Reliability History it only says that "Windows stopped working" and "was not properly shut down".

the bugcheck was in a filter driver bindflt.sys
this Binds filesystem namespaces to different locations and hides this remapping from the user.
the actual bugcheck:

KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE (162)
A lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock.
This is typically caused when some thread releases a lock on behalf of another
thread (which is not legal with AutoBoost tracking enabled) or when some thread
tries to release a lock it no longer owns.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffff898fa02d9080, The address of the thread
Arg2: ffff898f9a37e040, The lock address
Arg3: 00000000ffffffff, The session ID of the thread
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Reserved

-------------

you might see if you need to apply a windows update.

--------------
maybe this driver is messing it up (just a guess because of its file date(see below)
I would update or remove this driver: ( AOMEI backup)
C:\Windows\system32\ammntdrv.sys Tue Dec 25 00:46:37 2012
-----------
windows AutoBoost increases a thread priority to prevent certain conditions that are a problem in determining what to run next. (I don't really know anything about it)

Solution
I've removed AOMEI since I don't even use it anymore but it didn't solve the problem.
I tried checking several recent minidump files in WinDbg and I repeatedly saw ntkrnlmp.exe there, while the BSOD error codes are different.
I've uploaded a few more minidump files here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rM1jnioXjNqb9oP1koMh2xWCJ0AFBTff/view?usp=sharing
change the memory dump type to kernel memory dump and provide the file
c:\windows\memory.dmp

you should do a malware/virus scan also

Jan 27, 2022
Hi! I've been getting a lot of different BSODs for the past few days. Several a day. The system always reboots and works fine until it crashes again some time later. It happens at random times, even when I'm not doing anything on the PC.
I've been having a few BSODs per month for the past few months. However, I couldn't pinpoint the issue and help and advice from a different forum didn't solve it either. It used to happen only a few times per month, so I put off trying to solve it because it wasn't that much of a problem. That is until now that it escalated and I get several BSODs per day.
I get various different types of BSODs, such as:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

Here's my minidump file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t33pujJxy8LJmKWoROANUT-6PDino_pw/view?usp=sharing

I don't know if this information is useful, but when I tried driver verifier upon someone's advice a few months ago, I got stuck in an endless loop of BSODs and I couldn't even boot, until I found a way to turn off driver verifier without booting into windows.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

EDIT:
Here are the specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3500
GPU: GTX 1660 SUPER
MB: ASRock B450M Steel Legend
PSU: Corsair RM550x
RAM: G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB DDR4-3200
SSD1: WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe
SSD2: WD Blue SATA SSD M.2
SSD3: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

GOSH, I have exactly your same problem..still not solved yet.

some device did not install:
InstancePath is "USBSTOR\Other&Ven_WD&Prod_SES_Device&Rev_1012\575838314138344A33333048&1"

4: kd> !error 0xc0000490
Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000490 (3221226640) - There are no compatible drivers available for this device.

you should see if you can find a driver for this western digital device
SES.. see if you can find a driver and firmware update for this device.

also, your usb port was suspended, you might go into control panel, device manager, find the usb ports and right click to bring up properties, find the power management tab and tell windows not to power down the hub or port.

basically, something a bogus memory address was used (zero) and caused the bugcheck.
The memory dump was messed up. it might indicate a bug in a storage driver or device (if not malware as the cause)
see if you can get device installed correctly.

it looks like you have 2 western digital my passport devices on the same machine. one looks like it failed during a install while the other is working.

do you have 2? or any chance only one that was unplugged from one port and plugged into another?

you might go into windows control panel, device mananager find the menu to show hidden devices and remove any device and software that has been removed. USB devices leave the driver running but hidden when the physical device is removed. Maybe the is the cause of the bugcheck

---------
looks like your bios is outdated. you might want to update to a current version and pick up the current version of the chipset driver for the cpu and the network and sata drivers. (drivers need to match the bios version)
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/#Download
your version:
BIOS Version P2.90
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 11/27/2019

current version is 4.20
--------------
looks like this file might be involved in the bugcheck:
AAM Updates Notifier.exe

you might want to download autoruns from microsoft
and disable this from running and see if it helps.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
---------------
you might also want to disable chrome extensions

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022
you should see if you can find a driver for this western digital device
SES.. see if you can find a driver and firmware update for this device.

it looks like you have 2 western digital my passport devices on the same machine. one looks like it failed during a install while the other is working.

do you have 2? or any chance only one that was unplugged from one port and plugged into another?

also, your usb port was suspended, you might go into control panel, device manager, find the usb ports and right click to bring up properties, find the power management tab and tell windows not to power down the hub or port.

I only have one and I've only ever plugged it into one usb port because I only have one USB type A port on the front of my case. It works fine and I get BSODs even when it's unplugged, but that doesn't really matter as long as the driver issue is there according to what you say, right?
I've reinstalled WD drive software that is supposed to include drivers. But I just noticed in device manager that even after that, whenever I plug in my external drive, it shows up both in disk drives as WD My Passport but also under other devices without a driver and it says that it can't find any driver for the device. Uninstalling that doesn't help as it shows up again when I plug it in again.
ME3i9Ex.png

I've changed the power management of usb.

looks like this file might be involved in the bugcheck:
AAM Updates Notifier.exe

It seems to be Adobe Acrobat updater. I'll turn off everything Adobe related.

I've also disabled most chrome extensions now. I've only left a few essential ones that I've been using for a long time.

I'll see if anything happens and then I'd try other things including bios.
Btw should I also try updating windows 10 to the newest version? I thought that happens automatically in windows updates but I'm still on version 2004 while the latest one is 21H2.

I only have one and I've only ever plugged it into one usb port because I only have one USB type A port on the front of my case. It works fine and I get BSODs even when it's unplugged, but that doesn't really matter as long as the driver issue is there according to what you say, right?
I've reinstalled WD drive software that is supposed to include drivers. But I just noticed in device manager that even after that, whenever I plug in my external drive, it shows up both in disk drives as WD My Passport but also under other devices without a driver and it says that it can't find any driver for the device. Uninstalling that doesn't help as it shows up again when I plug it in again.
ME3i9Ex.png

I've changed the power management of usb.

It seems to be Adobe Acrobat updater. I'll turn off everything Adobe related.

I've also disabled most chrome extensions now. I've only left a few essential ones that I've been using for a long time.

I'll see if anything happens and then I'd try other things including bios.
Btw should I also try updating windows 10 to the newest version? I thought that happens automatically in windows updates but I'm still on version 2004 while the latest one is 21H2.
[/QUyuo

you should also turn off the systems virtual memory to delete your pagefile.sys then reboot and turn it back on. the debugger could not see a lot of info since it was hidden in the page file. This can be a symptom of malware hidden in the pagefile.sys or bad storage drivers. Deleting virtual memory pagefile.sys might help.
you can download and run crystaldiskinfo.exe and have it read the smart info from your drive to see if your drive is having health problems. (another potential cause of the debugger issues I saw)