Question Vcore voltage for Ryzen 5 ?

Nov 27, 2022
What is the best vcore voltage for r5 5600x on 3.7 GHz , right now I'm using 1.15 and my PC becomes a little laggy after an hour of playing , I also got less points on cinebench r23

There is no general "best" voltage. All CPUs are different, the term "silicon lottery" exists for a reason. It depends on what your CPU needs to run that specific clock. You could buy 100 R5 5600X and they will all need a little bit more or less at the same speed.

And stability is also more of a gradient. You could have it perfectly stable running 30 hours prime95, but crash when watching a video or playing a specific game. It can be set up to be more stable, but there is never a perfect 100% guarantee.

Now your lag issue could be anything. Does it also happen if you close the game and start it again? Could be a memory issue instead. The game allocates more and more over time and at some point will want more than the system has available for it.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Nov 27, 2022
There is no general "best" voltage. All CPUs are different, the term "silicon lottery" exists for a reason. It depends on what your CPU needs to run that specific clock. You could buy 100 R5 5600X and they will all need a little bit more or less at the same speed.

And stability is also more of a gradient. You could have it perfectly stable running 30 hours prime95, but crash when watching a video or playing a specific game. It can be set up to be more stable, but there is never a perfect 100% guarantee.

Now your lag issue could be anything. Does it also happen if you close the game and start it again? Could be a memory issue instead. The game allocates more and more over time and at some point will want more than the system has available for it.
Ok , but can you tell me if that could be enough , or should I put 1.18 or 1.2

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
why even mess with it? even with PBO enabled on that cpu, it does not use a ton of power. you're really accomplishing nothing other than causing yourself a lot of work for nothing. well that and gimping your cpu to run poorly.

if you for whatever reason want it to use less power, then simply limit the power and let the cpu and OS do its thing. the voltage varies as it works for a reason. you are basically turning off everything that makes it a modern cpu. and you hope to accomplish what by doing this?

What is the best vcore voltage for r5 5600x on 3.7 GHz , right now I'm using 1.15 and my PC becomes a little laggy after an hour of playing , I also got less points on cinebench r23

Hey there,

As the others have pointed out, your chip is individual, and so what might work for one CPU doesn't [necessarily] work for another. But you can test.

You could also try CTR 2.1 or Project Hydra, as they can give really good results and very close to PBO/CO tuning. It also saves an all core undervolt as a profile, which allows you to get a nice boost in all core speeds at a reasonably low voltage. Try it out and see if it works for you.

Nov 27, 2022
why even mess with it? even with PBO enabled on that cpu, it does not use a ton of power. you're really accomplishing nothing other than causing yourself a lot of work for nothing. well that and gimping your cpu to run poorly.

if you for whatever reason want it to use less power, then simply limit the power and let the cpu and OS do its thing. the voltage varies as it works for a reason. you are basically turning off everything that makes it a modern cpu. and you hope to accomplish what by doing this?
Well only if I turn auto overclocking I m able to run that at it s normal 3.7ghz , and I can t put vcore usage on auto , I need to put the whole thing on auto so I m searching for the best vcore voltage

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right you put it all on auto, turn on PBO and forget about it.

as others have said, there is no "best" voltage for every chip. you'll have to spend the time testing one, changing it, testing again and so on until it does whatever it is you are trying to make it do, the way you want it to do. then you'll have a good setting for your chip.

honestly this fascination folks seem to have all of a sudden with "undervolting" is getting out of hand. it's just not needed overall. setting a power limit instead will allow the cpu to work as intended except it will stop going higher at the limit.

setting a specific voltage stops the cpu from boosting a single core or 2 as needed, hurting performance in most cases. my 5900x goes from ~.9 volts to ~1.5 and back as needed. there's no way i'd try to make it run the same voltage at all times. waste power at minimal use and not enough when i ask the pc to do some real work for me.

good luck if you insist, but i'd rather spend the time enjoying my pc rather than fretting over such things.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Nov 27, 2022
right you put it all on auto, turn on PBO and forget about it.

as others have said, there is no "best" voltage for every chip. you'll have to spend the time testing one, changing it, testing again and so on until it does whatever it is you are trying to make it do, the way you want it to do. then you'll have a good setting for your chip.

honestly this fascination folks seem to have all of a sudden with "undervolting" is getting out of hand. it's just not needed overall. setting a power limit instead will allow the cpu to work as intended except it will stop going higher at the limit.

setting a specific voltage stops the cpu from boosting a single core or 2 as needed, hurting performance in most cases. my 5900x goes from ~.9 volts to ~1.5 and back as needed. there's no way i'd try to make it run the same voltage at all times. waste power at minimal use and not enough when i ask the pc to do some real work for me.

good luck if you insist, but i'd rather spend the time enjoying my pc rather than fretting over such things.
Well I think we go "full auto " on this one then

Reactions: drea.drechsler

It's a pretty straight forward process. The idea being, that by undervolting the CPU, you can achieve 2 things. The first being the reduced vcore, and hence reduced heat. The second is, that because the voltage and heat are less, the CPU can boost higher and for longer periods.

With that said there is a fine line between what works and what doesn't. Ill give you my CPU as an example. It's a 5600x with default speeds of 3.7/4.6 base/boost clocks. With some fine tuning, my CPU runs at 4.65-4.7 all core boost, with a 4.85ghz single core boost.

However, this is achieved with PBO +CO (core optimizer), and offsets on both voltage and cores.

Gets that little bit extra performance for no real loss, just time and testing.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i guess if that works for you. my 5900x with PBO turned on goes all core easily to 4.8 ghz and single core (or 2) to 5 ghz and some. both a touch better than base specs.

and all i did was check a box in bios :)

the issue arises when folks who have no clue what they are doing or even what the words mean, try to "tweak" things based on "i saw a post on reddit" or "i saw a youtbe video" only causes lots of grief and effort for little difference and lots of potential problems

if you know what you're doing great spend all day tweaking n testing. otherwise, simply turn on or off PBO n let it do its thing.... i promise you no software i use or game i play is gonna care about a 100 mhz difference either way.

The only way to know if the voltage is enough would be to run stability tests and see if it crashes. And not just synthetic tests like prime95, but the actual tasks you do with the machine.

If everything runs fine and no issues arise, congratulations, you reduced power consumption and (most likely) temperature.
If you have issues, well, add more voltage or reduce clocks. The basic principle of overclocking. Finding out which voltage is required at which clock to be stable.