Question VCR for modern home theater?

Terriss99

Honorable
Jun 5, 2014
Hello home theater gurus.

This might sound like a silly question, but are there any good VCR's that output HDMI? I'm in the process of building a new home theater set up and will have a Yamaha RX-A2080 as the A/V receiver; I have quite a collection of old VHS tapes that I don't necessarily want to abandon or re-buy. Some of them are some old forgotten gems and still others are home videos; I could go through the process of getting them converted on to DVD, but I'd much rather have the VCR option for cost and simplicity sake.

I've hunted around a bit and found a lot of different VCR/DVD combos of decent brand from what I remember, but I wanted to see if anyone had personal experience and/or recommendations for specific makes/models.

Thanks in advance.

~Terriss

kanewolf

Titan

This might sound like a silly question, but are there any good VCR's that output HDMI? I'm in the process of building a new home theater set up and will have a Yamaha RX-A2080 as the A/V receiver; I have quite a collection of old VHS tapes that I don't necessarily want to abandon or re-buy. Some of them are some old forgotten gems and still others are home videos; I could go through the process of getting them converted on to DVD, but I'd much rather have the VCR option for cost and simplicity sake.

I've hunted around a bit and found a lot of different VCR/DVD combos of decent brand from what I remember, but I wanted to see if anyone had personal experience and/or recommendations for specific makes/models.

Thanks in advance.

~Terriss
There are some DVD/VCR combo devices that have HDMI output -- https://www.lifewire.com/dvd-recorder-vhs-vcr-combination-1846611

Just as a side note: The fact that a VCR has HDMI output does not mean you'll get betterr picture than from SVideo or component. And most modern receivers still have these "legacy" inputs, So, apart from simpler cabling, I see no reason to limit yourself in your choices.

Thanks in advance.

~Terriss

For simplicity, convert the tapes to digital, tape wears out and ages, dries up, gets stretched, breaks, etc... Share the files on your home network to play at any time from any device. DVDs are not like record collections, you won't get any special nostalgic quality from them in the original format, and swapping in disks vs having a network storage setup is much easier once the work is done moving them to a drive that is.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020
Have you seen what a vhs looks like on a large modern TV. During the lock down i hooked up my vcr due to boredom and my reaction was ," how did I ever find this acceptable " it was awful. Lol

I'd keep the tapes and use them for display perhaps. Be careful the sun can fade the boxes quite easily.