[SOLVED] Vega 56 and 64 good stock?

Dec 29, 2018
Hey guys. I would like to know if the vega 56 and 64 cards are good without being overclocked or undervolted? I am new to pc gaming and i dont really want to get into that yet. I would like to play 1080p 144hz and sometimes 1440p. Which card would you suggest me getting? The 64 is only 50 pounds more in my country, coming in at 399 pounds. Thanks for any responses :)

Solution
Just make you sure you don't buy a blower style Vega ( single fan cooler) for ANY reason.
A lot of the really low priced ones are that style, and thermal issues mean they leave a fair chunk of performance untapped.

I have a Vega 64 liquid cooled card. They have the most aggressive bios, and kind of need liquid cooling lol.
Strix Vega 54 air cooled , for example, come pretty close to LC specs.
The reason this matters is, more aggressive bios = higher clocks at stock = more heat and power.
So if the 64 that is only 50 pounds more has a decent cooler on it, and the 56 you are looking at also has a decent cooler, then the price difference would arguably be "worth it"

However every tech youtuber out there will tell you to buy a...

exroofer

Distinguished
Just make you sure you don't buy a blower style Vega ( single fan cooler) for ANY reason.
A lot of the really low priced ones are that style, and thermal issues mean they leave a fair chunk of performance untapped.

I have a Vega 64 liquid cooled card. They have the most aggressive bios, and kind of need liquid cooling lol.
Strix Vega 54 air cooled , for example, come pretty close to LC specs.
The reason this matters is, more aggressive bios = higher clocks at stock = more heat and power.
So if the 64 that is only 50 pounds more has a decent cooler on it, and the 56 you are looking at also has a decent cooler, then the price difference would arguably be "worth it"

However every tech youtuber out there will tell you to buy a well cooled 56, overclock and undervolt it, and get very nearly 64 performance.
I can see why you ask the question .

At 399 pounds a decently cooled 64 would be a pretty good buy I would say.

However....... CES is in a couple week. Rumours are flying about new cards being announced, at 56/64 levels of performance, for a lot less money.

Going to say don't buy anything right now, if you can help it. By the end of January or so we should have a lot better idea of what is coming, at what price, and when.
Because if you could get a 64 performance, plus 15% ( which is the "leak" info), at under $300 USD, by, say.. March?
You would kick yourself for spending more money for less performance.

And yes, 56 and 64's are good at "stock" , now that the prices are decent.

Solution
There is no 2 fan PowerColor vega, there's a trifan red devil, a water cooled hybrid, & 2 or 3 founders single fan style cards.

The bugbear with vega is that at the minute you can get a 1070ti for around £350 , it's on par with the 64 but uses roughly half the power.

You would be right,gsync monitors start around £250 which puts things out of budget.

Youre stating 1440p & also 1080p 144htz though ? Unless youre running 2 screens its going to be one or the other though.

Even a freesync 1440p 100htz+screen is over £300