[SOLVED] Vega 56 crashing under load

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Hello everyone.

I recently bought an MSI vega 56 airboost OC. When I go to benchmark or play a game with it, it will cause a hard reset on my system. It's a kernel power event ID 41 that triggers it.
It is slightly more stable when completely underclocked and with undervolting. I also made sure to set the fan curve to keep the core below 65c,
but it will still crash after less than a minute regardless of temperature or any combination of clock/mem/voltage settings.

I've upgraded my PSU to a new corsair CX750M but that made no difference. I am testing the card in a friend's system tomorrow to confirm whether the card is faulty or not. I have made
sure to use two separate pcie 8 pin connectors from my PSU also as I've heard that using a single daisy chained cable can cause issues. Updated my bios, reinstalled windows, checked
and rechecked cables and re-seated everything. Ive tried both the 19.1.1 and beta AMD drivers. Does it look like a faulty card? I'm back to using my 7870 for now until I can find a solution :(

Thanks in advance for reading :)

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
What are your system (CPU and GPU, in particular) temperatures at idle and under load (like when gaming)?

Hey there, I've recently upgraded my cpu cooler with a hyper 212x and it will sit around 30c and not get above 60c when under full load. It's an i7-3770 non K
The GPU would hover around 30c also and I set the fan curve to keep it under 65c. I've tried completely underclocking it to rule out temperature.

Could it be my motherboard causing it in any way?

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
This very well could be the motherboard (particularly the BIOS). Isolating by checking out the Vega 56 in another rig would confirm the theory.

If it were a faulty motherboard. Would a replacement of my current model or similar be capable of running the vega 56?
I haven't had issues related to GPU load on any of my past motherboard's so this is new to me.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
The Vega is new tech for older motherboards, so it is conceivable that the BIOS could have issues with the combo. There are other issues with similar configurations out there. I assume your older GPU works just fine, correct?

My older GPU does work yes. It would be pretty horrifying for me if I had to update my mobo and consequently RAM and CPU. I sure hope the card is <<Please watch the language>> :/
Should I try installing the card into the other pcie slot? Maybe the slot itself is malfunctioning in some way.