BANNED
Hello there,
my current system is
8700k 4.7ghz
hd7950 1.3ghz
16gb tridentz rgb 3.5ghz cl17
ekwb 360+240mm for cpu and gpu
18.5" 768p 60hz tn monitor.

I am looking to buy LG 34u79g monitor which is free sync monitor ( gsync one costs 60% more ). This because i want to go curved ultra wide and this have higher hz and could be achieved via overclocked 8700k, and resolution is not much (though perfect for me) high so i don't need to get rtx series for smooth play.

Now i am confused between should i get vega64 or 1080ti as they both are priced similar at my place and i will water cool them and overclock them as high as i can get

So now either i get vega64 and less fps but freesync or i get 1080ti with more fps but no freesync (though i could use 1ms blur reduction as freesync needs to be turned off for it to work)

I haven't experienced neither freesync nor 1ms blur reduction so i don't know what it is that will be better for me and for games like pubg, gta, cod, racing too.

So summary is which one if price is same. ( no multi gpu ) ?
vega64 + freesync
or
1080ti + vsync + 1ms
or wait ?

Solution
You're not going to see much (if any) visible difference between 144Hz and 165Hz if you can manage to max out either. Anything at 120Hz or above is plenty and with the adaptive sync, it'll make for a stutter and tear free gaming experience. Seeing that optimization is varied game to game, there's no guarantee you'll be rock solid at either of the two higher refresh rates graphics settings being what they are of course.
If you're going to get a FS monitor, you may as well get a card that takes advantage of the tech it includes. That said, you'll get better overall performance from the 1080Ti which can still be used on that monitor though you won't get the adaptive sync but will get to enjoy the high refresh rate. It's a toss up, really. I'd personally say go like for like.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
i am targeting 120+ fps or if i can then 165fps ( as this monitor could be overclocked to 165hz https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC79G-B-ultrawide-monitor )

Problem is i don't even know if i should get something like 120 freesync or 165 vsync+1ms as i haven't seen them and i barely managed to get a look of that monitor ( window shopping) so let alone any chance of experiencing freesync without buying the required components.

if amd gpus were more powerful or competitive price wise (here) then it would have been easier but it's tough now. And i probably won't be upgrading the gpu for 5 years and monitor for 10. so i need to get best combo here.

You're not going to see much (if any) visible difference between 144Hz and 165Hz if you can manage to max out either. Anything at 120Hz or above is plenty and with the adaptive sync, it'll make for a stutter and tear free gaming experience. Seeing that optimization is varied game to game, there's no guarantee you'll be rock solid at either of the two higher refresh rates graphics settings being what they are of course.

Solution

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

can you do this type of testing by using freesync @60hz and @144hz with 58fps and 142fps frame cap respectively using rtss vs no fps cap with vsync @144hz to see which one feel most and least smooth and laggy.
blur-busters-gsync-101-gsync-ceiling-vs-fps-limit-144Hz.png

source

in that page of that article, the input lag is almost half (23ms) in case of gsync (similar to freesync) when compared to vsync (44ms) @144hz
and even 240 hz vsync is behind 100hz gsync/freesync for avg lag this makes me think that even 50% more fps is not enough on an advantage for 1080ti
(i want tear free so no sync is not what i want )

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
My monitor is not 144hz its only 100hz. I can tell you that with freesync off its not tear free, with it on it basically is but the difference really is minimal. Compared to a 60hz monitor you'd barely notice it. 60hz its VERY noticeable. There are some games (for example Hitman) that I play with Freesync off as the game for some reason feels smoother if that tells you anything. In fact one of the driver releases AMD had broke Freesync so I stopped using it for a while and I really didn't notice much then either.

I'll try and do some testing for you but can't promise anything I don't have much time in the evenings these days.