Vendors Have Negative Response to Windows 8, Says Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Seems like Windows will reign for a while longer:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/mobile-phone/3405180/survey-of-it-managers-suggests-preference-for-microsoft-mobile-platforms/

Also, if Intel ultrabooks are too costly, use AMD ( or make "regular" laptops ).

Benthon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Absolutely zero reason to go to Windows 8 on a PC. With all the drastic changes, they should've put a bit more feedback into the equation.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
With the cost of ultras too high, it seems like that will open the door for AMD, which may then force intel to lower the prices of their cpu's for ultrabook manufacturers.

In the mean time, I'm still looking forward the surface pro. I was gonna get the ASUS convertible, but they're putting Clover Trail or Field or whatever it is, which will perform like the Tegra 3, from what I've seen. So, I guess the Surface, with the keyboard and stylus is the next best thing.

[citation][nom]Benthon[/nom]Absolutely zero reason to go to Windows 8 on a PC. With all the drastic changes, they should've put a bit more feedback into the equation.[/citation]
For me, I like the faster boots and the background maintenance. Will you have to go to Win8? No. Will you have to get Office 2013? No. I will be getting the Win8 upgrade and I'll definitely miss 2013 when the preview ends.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I just wish Microsoft would admit they made a mistake and just give us the "OPTION" to use a standard desktop.

Windows 8 is a little faster then Windows 7 I liked windows 8 for the most part. The 60-80 dollar price point I been seeing it at makes it very attractive. The only reason I will completely skip 8 is become of the forced Metro 8 Interface.

I wish Microsoft would just release a update that allows metro to be disabled instead of digging its heels in. Maybe the backlash from the manufactures and community will be enough for Microsoft to see the error of its ways.

CDdude55

Distinguished
Not suprising, Windows 8 really doesn't offer much that would give people an incentive to upgrade. The new UI is one of the major reasons i don't think it will hold much of a market share compared to 7 and XP, most mainstream users are just now switching to 7 and when those people see Windows 8 i don't think they really see anything of worth. It really has no place for it's existance.

It's a great tablet/touch OS, but nothing more.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]With the cost of ultras too high, it seems like that will open the door for AMD, which may then force intel to lower the prices of their cpu's for ultrabook manufacturers.In the mean time, I'm still looking forward the surface pro. I was gonna get the ASUS convertible, but they're putting Clover Trail or Field or whatever it is, which will perform like the Tegra 3, from what I've seen. So, I guess the Surface, with the keyboard and stylus is the next best thing.For me, I like the faster boots and the background maintenance. Will you have to go to Win8? No. Will you have to get Office 2013? No. I will be getting the Win8 upgrade and I'll definitely miss 2013 when the preview ends.[/citation]

I think AMD's problem right now is no money to fund RD. Really troubling to say this but right now AMD is barely keeping its self a float. I really hope they pull out of there funk soon or we could start to see the same thing happen with Desktop processors.

G

UMM this article is confusing. What does the state of the ultrabook market have anything to do with Windows 8, a product designed primarily for TABLET styled PC's? There is almost no reference to anything specific about Windows 8.

Ultrabooks on the decline? Thanks for that fabulous insight Watson.......

I would imagine that M$ will be pushing surface tablet primarily for windows 8 adoption. And guess what? You can turn off the Metro interface for everything not touch based. So that ends your overwhelming "meh" feeling about windows 8.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]I just wish***snip*** of its ways.[/citation]

It is just a full screen start menu, and instant search is improved.

yerld

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I like Windows 8. Especially on my older laptop, the faster boots and increased responsiveness are much appreciated. I also like the Task Manager, and for once, the time it takes to copy files (from one hard drive to a USB device, etc.) is correctly estimated.

However, the OS does come with some annoyances. The Charms bar gets in the way, and the new Start Screen becomes cluttered and unwieldy once several programs have been installed (it takes longer to find the program you want to run). Alt-Tabbing to toggle between apps has become more inconvenient.

On the whole, it's a decent iteration of Windows - the good balances out the bad, and I'd take it over Vista or the aging XP any day. However, I can't think of any compelling reasons for most Win7 users to upgrade.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Why not do to Microsoft what people did to Bioware when they hated Mass Effect 3 ending? We got extended cut, and somehow the founders left in the process. I mean endless complaining..

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Actually I'd take this report with a grain of salt. If you check out the guys recent articles it seems like he's an Apple man. Not saying he's wrong but I'm sure his opinion, and it's just that, is a little biased.

Always consider your source

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I haven't touched Windows 8 yet, but I probably should get some hands on exposure, just so I know exactly what I'm hating along with the majority of folks. It's a morbid curiosity, like wanting to see a really bad horror movie.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Until they grow a brain and at least give us the option to never see the metro UI in Windows 8, I'll stick with Windows 7, or just get Windows 9 when they were forced to grow that brain from poor sales and reception of 8.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Why not do to Microsoft what people did to Bioware when they hated Mass Effect 3 ending? We got extended cut, and somehow the founders left in the process. I mean endless complaining..[/citation]

Extended cut was just more of the same crap, and the two doctors left not because the fans negative reaction. Ray said that himself.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]I just wish Microsoft would admit they made a mistake and just give us the "OPTION" to use a standard desktop[/citation]
Some people wish they had the option to use Chrome or Firefox pre-installed and they get REALLY annoyed and upset that they have to spend all of 30 seconds of their own valuable time downloading and installing it themselves, OUTRAGEOUS!!!
How about you grow up and spend all of 30 seconds downloading ClassicShell and get your Start menu back and have it boot directly into classic desktop
Maybe I can shine your shoes while you wait as well, massa...?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Until they grow a brain and at least give us the option to never see the metro UI in Windows 8, I'll stick with Windows 7[/citation]
See the above post, do a bit of work yourself, they are not there to wipe your ass for you

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]Microsoft ruined it for themselves when they made Windows 7 so awesome, why would you switch?[/citation]

because its not feasible to run windows 7 on a tablet.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah you can customize, and download shells and all that... I don't think any of my company's fortune 500 clients will ever do that though. Employees don't have a choice but to use whatever their IT provides. So if you're stuck with Metro 8h/day and you don't like it, what are you going to do? Resign?

Status
Not open for further replies.