Vent holes and Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI)

"David Maynard" switches to MicroATX:
> [...]
>> C'mon, Davey. Post the link. Let's see the ATX specs
>> which tell about EMI and the maximum size for vent holes.
>> C'mon, c'mon. I wanna learrrrrn. <hee, hee> :)
>
> Okay, laughing boy, for the sake of variety,
> let's look at the microATX thermal design
> suggestions from formfactor.org

Before we dance off to MicroATX,
we should note that the ATX specs
(http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx2_2.pdf)
make no mention of size of vent holes - versus EMI
or air flow or anything else.
Here is all the ATX specs say about cooling:

"Adequate venting should be provided in the system
to allow for unimpeded and well-directed airflow to
cool key components such as the processor. One
recommendation that is implicit in the ATX specification
is the placement of the power supply. The power supply
should be placed in close proximity to the processor if
the power supply is expected to cool the processor
properly (but be sure to observe the component height
keepouts over the PC board). Chassis venting should
be placed strategically to allow for proper cooling of
other components such as peripherals and add-in cards.
A system fan should be considered to allow for proper
cooling of all system components."

It says nothing about EMI from vents, nothing about size
of vents, nothing about quality of air flow except that it
should be "unimpeded" and "well-directed" to cool things
like the processor, and that the chassis venting should be
"placed strategically" to cool non-motherboard cards and
hard drives.

Now then, the MicroATX specs:

>http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/microatx_thermal_dg01.pdf
>
>"2.8.1 Chassis and Bezel Venting
> Proper venting is a key element in any good thermal design.
> A balanced vent configuration is a critical factor in this design.
> Implementing an insufficient amount does not allow enough
> air into the system for adequate cooling...
>
> Key considerations:...
>
> Front chassis and bezel venting -
> The bezel vent area should be as large as possible because
> it serves as the main air inlet for the system. Ensure the plastic
> bezel vent pattern allows air to enter freely so it does not
> overly restrict airflow into the system."
>
> Note there is no mention to include 'right angle bends'
> in the 'fancy 3-dimensional molded tight tolerance plastic fascia'
> to accommodate 'Tims turbulence theory'. No, it says 'allows
> air to enter FREELY." In fact, you won't find one word about
> 'ensuring turbulence' anywhere, much less 'vent hole turbulence'.
> Everything is eliminate resistance, eliminate resistance, and
> eliminate resistance.

Read it again. It says "allows air to enter freely so it does not
OVERLY RESTRICT airflow into the system". It does not
define "overly", neither does it recommend against turbulence.

That MicroATX says nothing about turbulence of the air
flowing into the case only means that turbulence is hard
to define. How can anyone define how much swirl, what
diameter of vortices, their relative orientation, speed of
rotation, etc.? That is why it takes repeated a cut-'n-try
experimentation by the labs of the name brand vendors to
get it right and why the sellers of empty cases cannot compete.
To expect that such a low level of specification should be
contained in the MicroATX specs is to expect that all PCs
be built exactly the same. Obviously, there is no intention
of doing that. And there is no mention of "eliminate resistance"
of air flow at the entrance to the case. The free air flow
described is that which is WITHIN THE CASE, between
the components to be cooled. The greater efficiency in cooling
afforded by turbulent air is not all addressed by the MicroATX
spec because it is a technique used by the name brand vendors
to give better cooling with less cost and less intake noise.

> For EMI:
> "(NOTE: To eliminate possible electromagnetic compliance issues,
> neither the maximum vertical nor maximum horizontal dimensions
> of ventilation apertures, I/O ports, and open areas along chassis
> seams less than 1/20th of a wavelength of the highest harmonic
> frequency of interest.)"
>
> Well, shazzam, an EMI caution.

Well, shazzam, an EMI caution for MicroATX form factor.

> Well, let's see what the microATX document specific for EMI says.
> http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5Cmatxemc.pdf
>
> "2.5.2 Apertures
> Keep maximum linear dimensions of ventilation apertures,
> I/O ports, and open areas along chassis seams less than 1/20th
> of a wavelength ( l ) of the highest harmonic frequency ( f ) of
> concern (1/20th rule, see also Figure 2). Absorption and shield
> thickness may contain low frequency magnetic fields, but high
> frequency electric field radiation out of slots becomes the next
> concern. Apertures (or slots) can be viewed as half-wave
> dipole antennas and are thus able to radiate maximum energy
> at dimensions of 1/2 a wavelength. In fact, slots longer than
> 1/100th of a wavelength can cause considerable leakage.
> Therefore, it is necessary to keep slot lengths as short as
> possible to minimize leakage. Currently, the FCC has
> requirements up to 2 GHz, which, as derived below, correspond
> to a recommended maximum aperture size (vertical or horizontal)
> of about .75 centimeters; for example:" (see PDF for the example
> equations.)
>
> Converting to inches that means, for a nice el-cheapo stamped
> vent, round holes under .295 inches.

Hmmm... you missed section 2.5.7 which says:

"A large number of small holes give better shielding than
a single large hole of the same area. Either large holes
or small holes placed too close together can become
significant slot antennas. Space small holes apart by
a distance equal to the diameter of the hole ( l / 20).
Reduce emissions from large holes by placing screens over
large holes or forming a 'waveguide below cutoff.'"

In other words, a WIRE GRILL over one big hole would
give the same protection against EMI.

> And Intel discussion on EMI
>http://www.intel.com/design/pentiumii/applnots/24333402.PDF
>
> Mostly processor, heatsink, and board layout but the chassis
> is mentioned at the end.
>
> ". Where possible, use round holes instead of slotted holes.
> Round holes provide the greatest airflow volume for the least
> amount of EMI leakage."
>
> Now you know why the holes are typically round.
>
> In the interest of fair time we might as well see what AMD
> has to say about it.
>
>http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/22023.p
df

> Same comprehensive discussion centering on the electronics
> but then we also have the chassis section.
>
> Apertures in a Chassis: Apertures (vents, holes, seams, screens)
> in a chassis can cause EMI leakage.
>
> . Apertures radiate at wavelengths equal to or less than their length.
> The length of an aperture is inversely proportional to the leaking
> resonant frequency.
> . Small holes and short seams prevent leakage of low frequencies.
> . Circles have minimal width for a given area, so round vents are
> better than slots (which are typically rectangular).
> . Screens are the best vents because of their small hole size.
> . Apertures should be shorter than one tenth of the wavelength
> to be shielded. For instance:
> . A 300-MHz frequency has a 1-meter wavelength, so boxes
> with harmonics less than 300 MHz can have 10-centimeter
> apertures."
>
> Well, whadda ya know, they say the same thing.

Yup:
"Screens are the best vents because of their small hole size."
It confirms that a simple WIRE GRILL would have the same
effect as a lot of small holes.

> Inexpensive vent hole summary: Stamp enough under .295 inch
> diameter round (so the FCC will stay off your butt) vent holes
> in the metal chassis where you want air to enter. Put fascia on
> front so it looks pretty, making sure there's plenty of room for
> air to get to the vent holes you stamped in the metal chassis.

It says nothing about how air is to get into the case, but only
that it have free flow once inside the case in order to get to
the components to be cooled. That is one of your blind spots -
you confuse free air flow inside the case with freedom to enter
the case.

And besides being pretty, the fascias designed by the big vendors
direct the air NOT smoothly and NOT directly into the holes
with their molded plastic fascias, but at various 90 degree angles
to maximize the turbulence.

And ask yourself why the name brand vendors didn't take
one of those cheap wire grills that they put over air exhaust
fans and put it over one big hole in the front. That one big
hole would allow almost NO AIR RESTRICTION, and the
grill would block the EMI much more effectively. Why did
they do that? Because the entering air would have little
turbulence. Instead, they went with a bunch of little holes
having a much greater edge-to-area ratio - which increases
turbulence.

*TimDaniels*

"Battleax" wrote:
> No one cares anymore...

As PC bus frequencies increase, prevention of EMI
escape will become more difficult to control, and that
is why MicroATX specs mention it. Dave Maynard
has brought up an important factor to keep in mind as
PCs get faster and faster - to keep the air vents small
and round and/or to use wire grills. There's some
interesting literature regarding flat cables versus
shielded cables and twisted pair cables as well -
all having to do with EMI suppression (as opposed
to prior emphasis on preventing cross-talk). Expect
to see more and more efforts in PC case and cable
design for the suppression of EMI.

*TimDaniels*

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "David Maynard" switches to MicroATX:

<snip>

> Yup:
> "Screens are the best vents because of their small hole size."
> It confirms that a simple WIRE GRILL would have the same
> effect as a lot of small holes.

I have told you over and over again, because the punched holes are FREE.

The rest of your babble is just a waste of hot air.

In article <WoCdncacs5jmHk_dRVn_iw@comcast.com>,
Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>"Battleax" wrote:
>> No one cares anymore...
>
> As PC bus frequencies increase, prevention of EMI
> escape will become more difficult to control, and that
> is why MicroATX specs mention it. Dave Maynard
> has brought up an important factor to keep in mind as
> PCs get faster and faster - to keep the air vents small
> and round and/or to use wire grills. There's some
> interesting literature regarding flat cables versus
> shielded cables and twisted pair cables as well -
> all having to do with EMI suppression (as opposed
> to prior emphasis on preventing cross-talk). Expect
> to see more and more efforts in PC case and cable
> design for the suppression of EMI.
>
>*TimDaniels*

Funny. Did it ever occur to anyone to try the obvious experiment ?
Try running your PC with the cover off and see if it interferes with
anything. Mine doesn't. (Athlon A7NX8) That's a pretty big hole. I
put a portable radio next to the PC. It had to be within a couple feet
to detect anything.

(It's very possible that _some_ PC interferes with _some_ device. I
don't claim this test has a theoretical basis.)

I know interferance used to be a problem. It's possible that the very
high clock speeds, better multilayer PCB design and desire to minimize
power consumption have all had the effect of practically eliminating
spurious radiation.
--
Al Dykes
-----------

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:42:32 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

<snip>

Why are you persisting in this crusade?

Nobody's agreeing with you, yet you are certainly entitled to believe
anything you want. You're just wasting your own time at this point.

"kony" wrote
> Why are you persisting in this crusade?
>
> Nobody's agreeing with you, yet you are certainly
> entitled to believe anything you want. You're just
> wasting your own time at this point.

Too much of what passes for truth on Usenet is
just Urban Myth. The value of smoothly flowing
air in heat exchange is one of them. It's easy to
believe because no specs call out for turbulent air.
It just never occurs to people who have put their
entire faith in specifications is that specs are just a
starting point, a list of minimal requirements. If
Dell, HP, Gateway, et al, wanted to cool their rigs
with water cooling, the form factor specs certainly
wouldn't prevent it. And neither do they prevent
said vendors from adding turbulence to their intake
air to promote cooling of their upstream components.

*TimDaniels*

"David Maynard" continued:
> Timothy Daniels wrote:
> > Yup:
> > "Screens are the best vents because of their small hole size."
> > It confirms that a simple WIRE GRILL would have the same
> > effect as a lot of small holes.
>
> I have told you over and over again, because the punched holes
> are FREE.

Then why don't any of the fascias designed by the big vendors
lead the intake air smoothly to the punched holes, minimizing
turbulence? Why do these fascias all put the air through opposing
right angle turns, leading to greater restriction of the intake air?
It can only be explained by a desire for turbulence - which
even you agree results in better cooling.

*TimDaniels*

"Al Dykes" wrote:
> Funny. Did it ever occur to anyone to try the obvious experiment ?
> Try running your PC with the cover off and see if it interferes with
> anything. Mine doesn't. (Athlon A7NX8) That's a pretty big hole. I
> put a portable radio next to the PC. It had to be within a couple feet
> to detect anything.

I've done that with a portable AM/FM radio and I've also not
detected any interference. Who knows, though, what evil lurks
in the 100s of MHz and the GHz ranges. It's interesting,
though, that an increasing number of gamer boxes have lexan
sides and no one has been screaming about EMI emissions.

> I know interferance used to be a problem. It's possible that the very
> high clock speeds, better multilayer PCB design and desire to minimize
> power consumption have all had the effect of practically eliminating
> spurious radiation.

The problem seems not to be with what's on the PCBs, but rather
with the long, sometimes unshielded, cables - which act as
radiating antennas. Consider the continuous square wave clock
pulses that travel down most of the cables inside and outside the
case. The spectrum of emissions from those puppies must look
like a corn field.

*TimDaniels*

just

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:15:59 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:42:32 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
><TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>

><snip>
>
>Why are you persisting in this crusade?
>
>Nobody's agreeing with you, yet you are certainly entitled to believe
>anything you want. You're just wasting your own time at this point.

Obviously an afflicted mercury transit through Gemini ;)

> In article <WoCdncacs5jmHk_dRVn_iw@comcast.com>,
> Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
> >"Battleax" wrote:
> >> No one cares anymore...
> >
> > As PC bus frequencies increase, prevention of EMI
> > escape will become more difficult to control, and that
> > is why MicroATX specs mention it. Dave Maynard
> > has brought up an important factor to keep in mind as
> > PCs get faster and faster - to keep the air vents small
> > and round and/or to use wire grills. There's some
> > interesting literature regarding flat cables versus
> > shielded cables and twisted pair cables as well -
> > all having to do with EMI suppression (as opposed
> > to prior emphasis on preventing cross-talk). Expect
> > to see more and more efforts in PC case and cable
> > design for the suppression of EMI.
> >
> >*TimDaniels*
>

> Funny. Did it ever occur to anyone to try the obvious experiment ?
> Try running your PC with the cover off and see if it interferes with
> anything. Mine doesn't. (Athlon A7NX8) That's a pretty big hole. I
> put a portable radio next to the PC. It had to be within a couple feet
> to detect anything.
>
> (It's very possible that _some_ PC interferes with _some_ device. I
> don't claim this test has a theoretical basis.)
>
> I know interferance used to be a problem. It's possible that the very
> high clock speeds, better multilayer PCB design and desire to minimize
> power consumption have all had the effect of practically eliminating
> spurious radiation.
> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m

If I take the side cover off my Lian Li and 2.85 P4 @ 3.0g it actually runs
hotter. Only about 3deg C, but hotter nonetheless. I haven't tried it under
a load, but I would just assume the temps would also be a bit warmer. I
guess there is a reason for the airflow path in a case like the Lian Li. It
is pretty much just a traditional type case, except for the HDD rack the two
adjustable-speed front fans blow over.

Ed Medlin

In article <RaBAc.1553$wf1.1175@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>,
Ed Medlin <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote:

>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <WoCdncacs5jmHk_dRVn_iw@comcast.com>,
>> Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > As PC bus frequencies increase, prevention of EMI
>> > escape will become more difficult to control, and that
>> > is why MicroATX specs mention it. Dave Maynard
>> > has brought up an important factor to keep in mind as
>> > PCs get faster and faster - to keep the air vents small
>> > and round and/or to use wire grills. There's some
>> > interesting literature regarding flat cables versus
>> > shielded cables and twisted pair cables as well -
>> > all having to do with EMI suppression (as opposed
>> > to prior emphasis on preventing cross-talk). Expect
>> > to see more and more efforts in PC case and cable
>> > design for the suppression of EMI.
>> >
>> >*TimDaniels*
>>

>> Funny. Did it ever occur to anyone to try the obvious experiment ?
>> Try running your PC with the cover off and see if it interferes with
>> anything. Mine doesn't. (Athlon A7NX8) That's a pretty big hole. I
>> put a portable radio next to the PC. It had to be within a couple feet
>> to detect anything.
>>
>> (It's very possible that _some_ PC interferes with _some_ device. I
>> don't claim this test has a theoretical basis.)
>>
>> I know interferance used to be a problem. It's possible that the very
>> high clock speeds, better multilayer PCB design and desire to minimize
>> power consumption have all had the effect of practically eliminating
>> spurious radiation.
>> --
>> Al Dykes
>> -----------
>> adykes at p a n i x . c o m
>
>If I take the side cover off my Lian Li and 2.85 P4 @ 3.0g it actually runs
>hotter. Only about 3deg C, but hotter nonetheless. I haven't tried it under
>a load, but I would just assume the temps would also be a bit warmer. I
>guess there is a reason for the airflow path in a case like the Lian Li. It
>is pretty much just a traditional type case, except for the HDD rack the two
>adjustable-speed front fans blow over.
>
>Ed Medlin

It was proposed as an EXPERIMENT of the worst-case (unintential pun)
for how big a hole could be and cause (or not cause) interference.
Yes, the CPU will run a little hotter, but it's an experiment.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:21:50 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

>"kony" wrote
>> Why are you persisting in this crusade?
>>
>> Nobody's agreeing with you, yet you are certainly
>> entitled to believe anything you want. You're just
>> wasting your own time at this point.
>

> Too much of what passes for truth on Usenet is
> just Urban Myth. The value of smoothly flowing
> air in heat exchange is one of them.

Urban myths start when someone like yourself proposes some theory but
doesn't consider all variables or even bother to test it.

"kony" wrote:
> Urban myths start when someone like yourself proposes
> some theory but doesn't consider all variables or even
> bother to test it.

There's no "theory" in the effect of turbulence on heat
transfer. That's why jacuzzis shoot jets of warm water
into the tub - to increase the transfer of heat to the body.
Without the jets, a boundary layer of water stagnates
against one's body, and the heat transfer greatly diminishes.
That you cannot picture the turbulence at the entrance
holes in a computer case is only a reflection on your
abilitity to visualize.

*TimDaniels*

In article <zeKdnc7Dx4-Do07dRVn-vw@comcast.com>,
Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>"kony" wrote:
>> Urban myths start when someone like yourself proposes
>> some theory but doesn't consider all variables or even
>> bother to test it.
>

> There's no "theory" in the effect of turbulence on heat
> transfer. That's why jacuzzis shoot jets of warm water
> into the tub - to increase the transfer of heat to the body.
> Without the jets, a boundary layer of water stagnates
> against one's body, and the heat transfer greatly diminishes.
> That you cannot picture the turbulence at the entrance
> holes in a computer case is only a reflection on your
> abilitity to visualize.
>
>*TimDaniels*

Wakefield Engineering makes heatsinks for industrial electronics,
probably some the size of a volkswagen. The place to go if you need a
heatsink for your nuclear reactor. There is lots of good engineering
information on the site. Things like the effectiveness of different
heatsink grease and pads (go look, yourself).

I just went there to see what they had to say about
turbulence. Nothing, Which tells me it's a non-issue.

Search these;

http://www.wakefield.com/pdf/thermal_tutorial.pdf

http://www.wakefield.com/products/fabricated_micro_heat_sinks.htm

--
Al Dykes
-----------

"Al Dykes" wrote:
> Wakefield Engineering makes heatsinks for industrial electronics,
> probably some the size of a volkswagen. The place to go if you need a
> heatsink for your nuclear reactor. There is lots of good engineering
> information on the site. Things like the effectiveness of different
> heatsink grease and pads (go look, yourself).
>
> I just went there to see what they had to say about
> turbulence. Nothing, Which tells me it's a non-issue.
>
> Search these;
> http://www.wakefield.com/pdf/thermal_tutorial.pdf
> http://www.wakefield.com/products/fabricated_micro_heat_sinks.htm

If Wakefield Engineering makes and sells heatsinks. The bigger
the heatsink you buy, the more money they make. Why should
they tell you how to get by with smaller heatsinks using
equipment that they don't sell?

On the other hand, published scientific research has shown that
heat transfer is augmented by turbulent flow. Just because some
one hasn't lead you by the hand to using turbulence as a cooling
technique merely means that some one hasn't lead you by the hand

In article <1pGdnQIKSZxA2k7dRVn-sw@comcast.com>,
Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>"Al Dykes" wrote:
>> Wakefield Engineering makes heatsinks for industrial electronics,
>> probably some the size of a volkswagen. The place to go if you need a
>> heatsink for your nuclear reactor. There is lots of good engineering
>> information on the site. Things like the effectiveness of different
>> heatsink grease and pads (go look, yourself).
>>
>> I just went there to see what they had to say about
>> turbulence. Nothing, Which tells me it's a non-issue.
>>
>> Search these;
>> http://www.wakefield.com/pdf/thermal_tutorial.pdf
>> http://www.wakefield.com/products/fabricated_micro_heat_sinks.htm
>

> If Wakefield Engineering makes and sells heatsinks. The bigger
> the heatsink you buy, the more money they make. Why should
> they tell you how to get by with smaller heatsinks using
> equipment that they don't sell?
>
> On the other hand, published scientific research has shown that
> heat transfer is augmented by turbulent flow. Just because some
> one hasn't lead you by the hand to using turbulence as a cooling
> technique merely means that some one hasn't lead you by the hand
> to using turbulence as a cooling technique.
>
>*TimDaniels*

Astoundingly clueless.

*plonk*
--
Al Dykes
-----------

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "Al Dykes" wrote:
> > Wakefield Engineering makes heatsinks for industrial electronics,
> > probably some the size of a volkswagen. The place to go if you need a
> > heatsink for your nuclear reactor. There is lots of good engineering
> > information on the site. Things like the effectiveness of different
> > heatsink grease and pads (go look, yourself).
> >
> > I just went there to see what they had to say about
> > turbulence. Nothing, Which tells me it's a non-issue.
> >
> > Search these;
> > http://www.wakefield.com/pdf/thermal_tutorial.pdf
> > http://www.wakefield.com/products/fabricated_micro_heat_sinks.htm
>

> If Wakefield Engineering makes and sells heatsinks. The bigger
> the heatsink you buy, the more money they make. Why should
> they tell you how to get by with smaller heatsinks using
> equipment that they don't sell?
>
> On the other hand, published scientific research has shown that
> heat transfer is augmented by turbulent flow. Just because some
> one hasn't lead you by the hand to using turbulence as a cooling
> technique merely means that some one hasn't lead you by the hand
> to using turbulence as a cooling technique.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Why are you going on and on about something that is totally obvious?
Give it a break.

"Battleax" wrote:

> Why are you going on and on about something that is totally obvious?

Because to some, it's not obvious. What I have been advising is
to put more reliance on basic science - like the pros do - than on
the minimum requirements of an industry form factor guideline.

*TimDaniels*

"Al Dykes" went:
> *plonk*

Don't forget to stir your coffee! It cools faster that way
than just blowing on it. :)

*TimDaniels*

Al Dykes wrote:

> In article <WoCdncacs5jmHk_dRVn_iw@comcast.com>,
> Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>
>>"Battleax" wrote:
>>
>>>No one cares anymore...
>>
>> As PC bus frequencies increase, prevention of EMI
>> escape will become more difficult to control, and that
>> is why MicroATX specs mention it. Dave Maynard
>> has brought up an important factor to keep in mind as
>> PCs get faster and faster - to keep the air vents small
>> and round and/or to use wire grills. There's some
>> interesting literature regarding flat cables versus
>> shielded cables and twisted pair cables as well -
>> all having to do with EMI suppression (as opposed
>> to prior emphasis on preventing cross-talk). Expect
>> to see more and more efforts in PC case and cable
>> design for the suppression of EMI.
>>
>>*TimDaniels*
>

> Funny. Did it ever occur to anyone to try the obvious experiment ?
> Try running your PC with the cover off and see if it interferes with
> anything. Mine doesn't. (Athlon A7NX8) That's a pretty big hole. I
> put a portable radio next to the PC. It had to be within a couple feet
> to detect anything.

Removing the side panel is not a good test because it completely alters the
airflow pattern and will often increase temperatures because airflow is so
dissipated that it is reduced to passive convection rather than forced
convection.

> (It's very possible that _some_ PC interferes with _some_ device. I
> don't claim this test has a theoretical basis.)
>
> I know interferance used to be a problem. It's possible that the very
> high clock speeds, better multilayer PCB design and desire to minimize
> power consumption have all had the effect of practically eliminating
> spurious radiation.

The higher clock speeds are worse for EMI because it's into the higher
frequencies.

You are correct that modern PC board designs are better at inherently
suppressing EMI.

Btw, case EMI shielding is not just to keep EMI from getting out; it's to
keep interfering EMI from getting in as well.

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "kony" wrote
>
>>Why are you persisting in this crusade?
>>
>>Nobody's agreeing with you, yet you are certainly
>>entitled to believe anything you want. You're just
>>wasting your own time at this point.
>

> Too much of what passes for truth on Usenet is
> just Urban Myth. The value of smoothly flowing
> air in heat exchange is one of them. It's easy to
> believe because no specs call out for turbulent air.
> It just never occurs to people who have put their
> entire faith in specifications is that specs are just a
> starting point, a list of minimal requirements. If
> Dell, HP, Gateway, et al, wanted to cool their rigs
> with water cooling, the form factor specs certainly
> wouldn't prevent it. And neither do they prevent
> said vendors from adding turbulence to their intake
> air to promote cooling of their upstream components.

It's knee slapping hilarious to hear someone who has a fanatical 'belief'
in something that "no specs call out for" (and that no one suggests, hints
at, or even mentions other than to reduce as much as possible)
pontificating about "urban myths" and "faith."

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "David Maynard" continued:
>
>>Timothy Daniels wrote:
>>
>>> Yup:
>>> "Screens are the best vents because of their small hole size."
>>> It confirms that a simple WIRE GRILL would have the same
>>> effect as a lot of small holes.
>>
>>I have told you over and over again, because the punched holes
>>are FREE.
>

> Then why don't any of the fascias designed by the big vendors
> lead the intake air smoothly to the punched holes, minimizing
> turbulence? Why do these fascias all put the air through opposing
> right angle turns, leading to greater restriction of the intake air?
> It can only be explained by a desire for turbulence - which
> even you agree results in better cooling.

Besides your description being false, no, your fantasies are not the 'only
explanation'; The proof of which being that I've already explained it to you.

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "Al Dykes" wrote:
>
>>Funny. Did it ever occur to anyone to try the obvious experiment ?
>>Try running your PC with the cover off and see if it interferes with
>>anything. Mine doesn't. (Athlon A7NX8) That's a pretty big hole. I
>>put a portable radio next to the PC. It had to be within a couple feet
>>to detect anything.
>

> I've done that with a portable AM/FM radio and I've also not
> detected any interference. Who knows, though, what evil lurks
> in the 100s of MHz and the GHz ranges. It's interesting,
> though, that an increasing number of gamer boxes have lexan
> sides and no one has been screaming about EMI emissions.
>

>>I know interferance used to be a problem. It's possible that the very
>>high clock speeds, better multilayer PCB design and desire to minimize
>>power consumption have all had the effect of practically eliminating
>>spurious radiation.
>

> The problem seems not to be with what's on the PCBs, but rather
> with the long, sometimes unshielded, cables - which act as
> radiating antennas. Consider the continuous square wave clock
> pulses that travel down most of the cables inside and outside the
> case. The spectrum of emissions from those puppies must look
> like a corn field.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Ya know, Plato got just about everything wrong too by trying to simply
'guess' how things worked.

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "Battleax" wrote:
>
>>Why are you going on and on about something that is totally obvious?
>

> Because to some, it's not obvious. What I have been advising is
> to put more reliance on basic science - like the pros do - than on
> the minimum requirements of an industry form factor guideline.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Pardon me, but you have repeatedly demonstrated that you haven't got a clue
what 'science' is and are operating purely from 'faith'.

"David Maynard" scoffed:
> Timothy Daniels wrote:
> > The problem seems not to be with what's on the PCBs, but rather
> > with the long, sometimes unshielded, cables - which act as
> > radiating antennas. Consider the continuous square wave clock
> > pulses that travel down most of the cables inside and outside the
> > case. The spectrum of emissions from those puppies must look
> > like a corn field.
> >
> > *TimDaniels*
>
> Ya know, Plato got just about everything wrong too by trying to simply
> 'guess' how things worked.

The Amateur Radio Relay League (ARRL - the ham radio guys)
have something to say about computer EMI on their web site at
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rficomp.html :

"Q: How do all of these signals get out of the computer
system and into my station receiver?

"A: Most of them are radiated, and then picked up by
your antenna. This suggests one easy cure -- put
as much distance between the computer system and
your receiving antenna as you are able to.
Interference that is intolerable with an indoor
antenna might go away completely if you erect a
good, outdoor antenna. In addition to reducing the
amount of signal picked up from the computer, this
has the benefit of increasing the amount of desired
signal. Most computer systems have shielding to
minimize the radiated signals. The shielding can be
external, provided by a good metal case and shielded
cables, or internal, provided by ground planes or
metal partitions on critical areas on the printed
circuit boards. This shielding is not perfect, however;
a surprising amount of energy can be radiated from
the slots and seams that are part of most shielding
systems. All other things being equal, a computer with
a metal case is usually much quieter than one with a
plastic case. The expression "Components don't radiate
wires do" is well-known in the EMC field. The wires
and cables used to interconnect the parts of your
computer system are much better antennas than are the
printed-circuit boards used inside, so most radiation
takes place from the wires. The video, keyboard, mouse
and printer cables are prime suspects. The interference
could also be conducted -- transmitted directly by wires
connected to both the computer and your receiver. If
your computer is plugged into the same AC circuit as is
your receiver, you are asking for trouble. If so, you
may be able to use an AC-line filter to filter the
computer, your receiver or both. "

On the same webpage is found:

"Q: How is this noise generated by a computer?

"A: There are several things in a computer that can
generate noise. All computers use digital signals --
square waves rich in harmonics. These signals can be
generated by the several oscillators found in most
computer systems. Signals from the oscillators can
interfere with the signals we want to receive. In
addition to the oscillators, all computer circuits
sub-divide these oscillators into signals that are
sub-multiples of the oscillator frequencies.
Additional digital noise can be generated by the
video monitor circuits. Computers also use switching
power supplies. "Switchers" can also be prolific
generators of RF noise. The monitor has a separate
power supply, plus sweep and high-voltage circuits
that can also generate noise. When you put them all
together, a computer system can generate RF signals
from below the HF band well into VHF!"

So not only are square waves rich in harmonics (which
any engineer knows who has taken a course in Fourier
Analysis), a computer, by its frequency dividers, also
produces sub-harmonics, i.e. frequencies *lower* than
the fundamental frequency. That is why a display of the
emitted spectrum of a computer is rich in spikes and
"looks like a cornfield" or like a Roman army.

*TimDaniels*