[SOLVED] Veracrypt and Windows 10

Dec 22, 2020
Hi

Curious about Windows 10 and veracrypt. I heard Windows 10 logs keystrokes and passwords. If this is true, doesn't this mean anything encrypted by veracrypt on Windows 10 is useless because they know the password? Or am I being obnoxiously paranoid?

Solution
yes windows is a keylogger and yes it uploads anything and everything it can fro your pc. this includes security certificates windows creates. so anything you "secure" through windows will have the key uploaded to MS.

using the 3rd party tool is one way to attempt to avoid this and is why i suggested in your other thread about this same topic to store the key OFF the pc like on a usb drive. bitlocker and other windows security is only as secure as MS wants it to be. which means it may keep others out, but will not keep MS out and anyone they decide to share your info with which is pretty much anyone who asks and can pony up some cash.

there is no way to prevent windows from collecting the data on you, the only thing you can do is to...
Dec 22, 2020
Windows is not the only OS for a PC. And your PC does not have to be connected to Internet, so nothing would be transmitted back to base.
I was also thinking about that. It's just I play Overwatch and watch YouTube. I do block apps through firewall. I've also been thinking about using Linux, but it's overwhelming. Thanks for the suggestion.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yes windows is a keylogger and yes it uploads anything and everything it can fro your pc. this includes security certificates windows creates. so anything you "secure" through windows will have the key uploaded to MS.

using the 3rd party tool is one way to attempt to avoid this and is why i suggested in your other thread about this same topic to store the key OFF the pc like on a usb drive. bitlocker and other windows security is only as secure as MS wants it to be. which means it may keep others out, but will not keep MS out and anyone they decide to share your info with which is pretty much anyone who asks and can pony up some cash.

there is no way to prevent windows from collecting the data on you, the only thing you can do is to have a separate firewall that can block the traffic once it leaves your pc. but there is no way to stop the collecting as i've been learning more and more. i've been learning from some very knowledgeable people and as we explore, they keep reminding me, "there is a reason the governments of the world refuse to use win 10 as is!!" MS has created a special gov ediition stripping the data mining out since they all know there is no way to actually stop the collecting.

Solution
Dec 22, 2020

there is no way to prevent windows from collecting the data on you, the only thing you can do is to have a separate firewall that can block the traffic once it leaves your pc. but there is no way to stop the collecting as i've been learning more and more. i've been learning from some very knowledgeable people and as we explore, they keep reminding me, "there is a reason the governments of the world refuse to use win 10 as is!!" MS has created a special gov ediition stripping the data mining out since they all know there is no way to actually stop the collecting.
That's the kind of stuff I was worried about. Are there any 3rd party you'd suggest?

Dec 22, 2020
they all do the same thing really. just make sure it has a strong key of at least 2000 bits and it'll be plenty safe. but again store the key off the pc so MS does not upload it on you.

that's the best you can do really.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm very new to all of this. Can you link some documentation on how to store the key off, please?