Verizon Defends Data Price Discrepancy in Share Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I wouldn't be shocked to hear people just "sharing" a share everything plan to save money for just making phone calls and texting if it does work out to be cheaper. (Haven't looked @ the details since I have no intent on going to them given the recent comments/stances/etc.)

My only question is: How many things can you add to it?

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Ridiculous prices are why I'm switching to Straight Talk and paying $45 a month for Unlimited Talk/Text/Web. I'll be using my 3 year old 3GS, but plan to buy an International (unlocked) Galaxy S3. I wish more people would take advantage of the non-contract services and put the squeeze on the big phone companies. I am currently on AT&T with unlimited data (grandfathered), unlimited text and 450 minutes. I use less than 1GB of data, about 1K texts, and less than 100 min of phone and pay $100.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
*vomits* Im glad I am getting off sprint's service this fall once my contract is up. All of the contracts are bunch of ripp offs hidden under fees. Going straight to prepaid world wheeeee.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]I have unlimited data from Verizon, grandfathered. Wonder if I can move that over to a share everything plan and then sell phone numbers for a monthly fee on ebay I won't charge $50! How about $45?[/citation]
Problem is you won't have that plan for long. From reports, the moment you change calling plans or even get a new phone, you lose it.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-05-16/verizon-wireless-unlimited-data/55028254/1

"As you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto the data-share plan," Shammo said. "A lot of our 3G base is unlimited. As they start to migrate into 4G, they will have to … go into the data-share plan. And that is beneficial for us."

jtsyo

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
[citation][nom]Gundam288[/nom]I wouldn't be shocked to hear people just "sharing" a share everything plan to save money for just making phone calls and texting if it does work out to be cheaper. (Haven't looked @ the details since I have no intent on going to them given the recent comments/stances/etc.)My only question is: How many things can you add to it?[/citation]

You have to pay per device you add to the plan. Not worth it for just voice and text.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I currently have a 3G unlimited with Verizon. Anybody got a good advice what I should do come next year when the contract ends and I can get a new phone but I would have to leave 3g unlimited plan?

I don't want a 4g capped plan and I don't want to pay 500 to 700 from for a new phone to keep 3g unlimited plan.

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Wasn't Verizon's whole argument for these ridiculous data tiers that "our networks can't handle the excessive amounts of data people are using"?

The way these plans are structured, it looks like Verizon is encouraging people to use more data.

Just more BS from Big Red. If another carrier had halfway decent coverage in my area, I'd switch in an instant.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Verizon is one of the best, most efficient companies at being scandalous. They are professional con artists and have been for several years. They have all types of bullshit charges and fee's. Terrible, overpriced plans and horrible customer service. Thier signal is fantastic and its the only reason people stay with them.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Get the iPhone 4S, it's only 3g. That's the best 3g phone out there right now....otherwise you might be screwed.[/citation]

There's got to be other options. I'm Android all the way. I don't support any Apple products.

heizenbrg

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Interesting article on Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocentral/2012/06/13/the-mobile-data-economy-how-much-do-you-need/

Someone should start a petition or something, that molly girl did it and owned BOA for the 5$ debit card fee. This is insane, just started the 2 yr 8gb share everything yesterday, but I knew how much I was going to pay, even the hidden fees. Verizon, If you really want to charge a shitload for data, AT LEAST take off that ABSURD 35$ activation fee. You got that PLUS a 40$ for smartphone. About their hidden taxes,If you read their contract carefully they say that most aren't state taxes but applied from Verizon as a whole. They have a monopoly, and they should be controlled.

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Maybe i'm getting old but i will not change to a smartphone unless it's straighttalk or similar. I refuse to pay for internet a second time. I pay alot for my home connection and see no need to check facebook every 5 seconds. Compete with the prepaid and we can talk, i'll need 3-4 phones unlimited everything.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I'm less concerned about the price/gb discrepancy between the 1GB plan and the 20GB plan. I'm more concerned with the fact that 1GB costs $50. That's an absurd price. At the sacrifice of the broader network, you can get a virgin mobile plan for $55/mo with unlimited everything and no lame monthly contract.

kryten42

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I'm confused. You're saying the $50 for 1GB includes unlimited talk and text, but your calculations all act as if the talk and text is free.

heizenbrg

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
[citation][nom]ntrceptr[/nom]Maybe i'm getting old but i will not change to a smartphone unless it's straighttalk or similar. I refuse to pay for internet a second time. I pay alot for my home connection and see no need to check facebook every 5 seconds. Compete with the prepaid and we can talk, i'll need 3-4 phones unlimited everything.[/citation]

Yes, If it weren't for GPS signal and the usefulness of traveling with an internet connection( checking out restaurant's, cheap motel, finding the latest bargain on craigslist while you're on the road) I would stick to those old Nokia phones my grandma has, you now the black & white ones that are like totally unbreakable? fuck gorilla glass those phones where the best, snake owned fruit ninja soooo sosooo much

kelemvor33

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Yet another reason to use something like Virgin Mobile. Unless you use more than 300 minutes per month, $30 or $35 gets you unlimited data (throttled after 2.5 gigs). I love my $25/mo grandfathered plan. I never use minutes I either text or call from home/work.

kelemvor33

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
[citation][nom]heizenbrg[/nom]Interesting article on Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocen [...] -you-need/Someone should start a petition or something, that molly girl did it and owned BOA for the 5$ debit card fee. This is insane,....[/citation]

Money talks. If more people say F You to Verizon and the rest and start hopping onto prepaid, maybe they change.

Virgin Mobile gets you unlimited data for $35/mo. Includes 300 minutes. $45 is unlimited data and 1200 minutes. Who needs more than that. And that's everything included. Not a separate fee for voice and data and such.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Let's say $40 for the unlimited call & text + other extras. You end up with:
1GB @ $10/GB ($40 + $10 = $50)
2GB @ $10/GB
4GB @ $7.5/GB
10GB @ $6/GB (40 + 60 = 100)
20GB @ $5.5/GB (40 + 110 = 150)

Ripoff but still not as bad as $50/GB. I only pay $30 for unlimited 4G (though 4Mbps only). Unlimited nonetheless.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]*vomits* Im glad I am getting off sprint's service this fall once my contract is up. All of the contracts are bunch of ripp offs hidden under fees. Going straight to prepaid world wheeeee.[/citation]
While Sprint is no saint, they are a far lesser evil than the Big Red or AT&T. I'm only paying $70 after taxes and fees (have a discount from working for county) and use ~8GB of data per month. With Verizon, it would be $130 per month. 1GB is $90. The best Verizon can do is $80 for 300MB before taxes and fees. Again, I'm getting unlimited for $70, including unlimited (mobile) talk (450 minutes for land lines), text, and data. A lot of pre-paid plans employ throttling to reduce traffic. I am thinking about going Galaxy Note or Galaxy Nexus and switching to SIMple Mobile, but my biggest concern is data speed. Sprint has been good to me in that regard.

That's not how it work. Its $40 for EACH smartphone the ANOTHER $50 for the 1GB you "get" to share. Its designed from the ground up to be a rip off. They are basically forcing you into an unlimited talk and text family plan, and charging you for it, even if you have no use for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.