Question Verizon Home 5G Internet won't connect to my laptop

jsuslak313

Reputable
Jun 3, 2018
I recently switched from Comcast Xfinity to Verizon 5g Home internet. The internet works perfectly on my newer laptop, however it doesn't connect to my old one for longer than a few seconds. If it ever does connect, it is incredibly slow.

The old laptop is an MSI GT70 2pc Dominator. CPU = 4th gen I7 4810MQ, Intel Dualband Wireless 7260. This laptop worked perfectly fine with the Comcast internet up until the very moment I turned it off to switch to Verizon.

I have already tried: 1) reinstalling the drivers for my wifi card from scratch, 2) hard reset of the ENTIRE laptop, 3) utilizing ethernet. None of these work. Even the ethernet connection acts the same as the wireless.

Everything I have read up to now has said that my wifi card should be compatible with the Verizon 5g Home Internet. Verizon has been absolutely no help (easily the worst customer service in the industry!).

I appreciate your time and help!

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model for modem and router. Or modem/router if combined? Do you own the device(s) are are they rented from Verizon?

On the old laptop: Are sure that only one network adapter, either wired or wireless, is enabled? Not both at the same time?

On both laptops run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post accordingly, if necessary, being sure to indicate which results are the new laptop and which results are the old laptop. [Note: You can copy and paste the results with no need to retype everything.]

Compare the configuration settings. Hopefully some setting was simply overlooked on the old laptop and that is the root of the issue.

Use Resource Monitor to observe and compare the laptops' performance. Especially when the new laptop is "fast" and the old laptop "incredibly slow".

Simply boot, let the laptops stablize, and then go online to the same site to do the same thing. Compare performance.

Look for some other left over or unexpected app that is running on the old laptop. Perhaps in the background.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Are you connecting / accessing the modem using both laptops at the same time? Is it possible that Verizon doesn't allow 2 connections using same password at the same time?

Can you connect one with Ethernet cable AND the second one via wireless at the same time without problems?

jsuslak313

Reputable
Jun 3, 2018
New Computer:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP-GJQI7ENN
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : askey.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 3C-7C-3F-5C-22-15
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #7
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-12-03-BC-3B-36

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 16:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #8
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AE-12-03-BC-3B-35

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : askey.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-12-03-BC-3B-35
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:1002:b190:16d9:b1df:e575:1a79:4c48(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2600:1002:b190:16d9:f58f:4b0d:ad4c:81c1(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c643:54c2:6463:4b%6(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.31(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 27, 2023 7:32:54 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 29, 2023 5:00:47 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::fe12:63ff:fe1b:bea4%6
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 330043907
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-26-E2-0F-BE-3C-7C-3F-5C-22-15
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::fe12:63ff:fe1b:bea4%6
2001:4888:14:ff00:196:d::
2001:4888:15:ff00:194:d::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-12-03-BC-3B-39

Old (problem) Computer: View: https://imgur.com/EyUHtdK

Hopefully that image link works, couldn't copy the details since I had no internet connection...

jsuslak313

Reputable
Jun 3, 2018
just to clarify, the old MSI computer with the issue can't connect to the internet at all: whether its ethernet, wifi, or both. There are no limitations to my Verizon internet, it runs fine on my computer, tv, phone, and ipad. The Verizon router/gateway is one of those white cubes that they gave me, Not sure the make / model specifically as it only says Verizon Internet Gateway on it, with a bunch of manufacturing ID numbers that probably wouldn't help. Here's a pic
maxresdefault.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
It appears that the old computer has typo in the subnet mask.

Reference:

Wireless connection via the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-7260 adapter.

The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 not 255.255.0.0

Check the wireless network adapter's DHCP Gateway/Server and subnet configuration. Should be the same as the new laptop's wireless configuration.

Those configuration settings being 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 respectively.

What should happen is that the Gateway will provide the old laptop with a DHCP IP address similar to the IPv4 address assigned to the new laptop.

Likely 192.168.0. X (Prefered) where X is a DHCP IP addresss within the DHCP IP address range allowed to the gateway/router.

jsuslak313

Reputable
Jun 3, 2018
another discovery: when I check the wifi network properties on the GOOD computer, the band is @ 5GHz, but the old computer is at 2.4 GHz for the same network. I went into the network adapter device settings on the MSI and made it prefer 5 GHz instead of auto, but it seems like the computer is refusing to connect at 5GHz. Perhaps that is related to the problem. This did not solve the issue at all

Ed: after a restart upon changing that setting, it seemed to mess with the whole network and disconnected all my devices from the network and the verizon gateway started flashing. I had to change it back to "no preference".

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Configuration changes are made via the Network & Internet screens.

"WIN" + "I" > Network & Internet > Change adapter options.

However, if you have a wired network adapter and a wireless network adapter enabled at the same time then there will be problems.

Only one adapter either wired or wireless should be enabled. Not both at the same time.

[Note: there are situations where a computer can have and use two network adapters. Not applicable here as I understand your posts to date.]

Per your post #8 you are using a wireless network environment - correct?

Do you have the necessary admin rights to access the gateway at 192.168.0.1 ?