Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE in place of satellite internet service ?

melm99

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
I recently went back to Verizon as my cellphone carrier, after many years away from them, due to reasons I am sure I don't have to explain. While at the store I bought the Jetpack 4G LTE because I am tired of my internet satellite provider. I still have time to return the Jetpack.

My internet provider is Wildblue, part of Excede, purchased by ViaSat in California. You pay for a specific amount of GB, but can only use 80% or they slow your speed. My speed, in the woods, is usually about 2mbps and when they slow it, I can't even load my email page in three minutes. When it rains I lose service. Their customer service is horrible, and I won't go into that nightmare with the dish not being aligned correctly, and the technical support visit where the guy tried to get $80 out of me before leaving, after being without service for 10 days. Sorry, I digress, but stay away from that company.

I found out I can't use my home security camera because the Jetpack doesn't have a static IP, and they want $500 for that...are there any other problems with this device ? Verizon has a history of overcharging. If they aren't accurately keeping track of data usage, or the machine eats up data, then I want to take it back.

Any input is very welcome.

Melissa

Solution
Here are some issues with using the jet pack. Yes the first is the static IP, the second is even if you get a static IP they could still be blocking ports. So say your home security camera using a port that Verizon blocks that could be an issue as well. With the jet packs all the connections will be wireless nothing wired, there are ways to get a wired connection but that is a complex workaround. If they have not changed it yet, I believe you can only have 5 devices connected to the jetpack at one time. This might of changed I am not to sure.

jeff-j

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
Here are some issues with using the jet pack. Yes the first is the static IP, the second is even if you get a static IP they could still be blocking ports. So say your home security camera using a port that Verizon blocks that could be an issue as well. With the jet packs all the connections will be wireless nothing wired, there are ways to get a wired connection but that is a complex workaround. If they have not changed it yet, I believe you can only have 5 devices connected to the jetpack at one time. This might of changed I am not to sure.

Solution

melm99

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

Thanks for the information. I appreciate your responding.

Jan 1, 2019

As of Jan 1, 2019, as far as I know, the Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack still has a limit of 5 connected devices at any given time. You can set your Jetpack to accept "less" connections if you prefer to limit it, but I do not think you can set it to accept "more" connections. I am still using a Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack which I purchased in 2016.