Verizon R2-D2: The Droid You've Been Looking For

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]blasterth[/nom]As a sci-fi fan, I can't avoid saying that R2-D2 isn't an android unlike C-3PO.[/citation]
As a sci-fi fan I can't avoid pointing out that C3-PO is a Protocol Droid and R2-D2 is an Astro Droid

fatedtodie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
"An android is a robot[1] or synthetic organism[2] designed to look and act like a human."

From wikipedia

So C-3PO is an android, Data is an android, R2-D2 is a robot.
Game, Set, Match.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
[citation][nom]fatedtodie[/nom]"An android is a robot[1] or synthetic organism[2] designed to look and act like a human."From wikipediaSo C-3PO is an android, Data is an android, R2-D2 is a robot.Game, Set, Match.[/citation]

in the star wars universe, 'droid' is a term used to describe just about any machine with AI and the ability to freely move. its not short for android.

R2-D2 is a droid, but 'these aren't the droids you're looking for'

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]in the star wars universe, 'droid' is a term used to describe just about any machine with AI and the ability to freely move. its not short for android. R2-D2 is a droid, but 'these aren't the droids you're looking for'[/citation]
In George Lucas self-made universe what he says goes, and C-3PO refers to himself and other people refer to him as a Protocol Droid on more than one occasion, young Anakin and others refers to R2-D2 as an Astro Droid. At no time during any Star Wars film is the word Android used.

So the relationship between the word Droid and Android is entirely coincidental.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Whatever happened to the metal Tonka Trucks? I was shopping for my nephew's birthday the other day and they're all made out of plastic now. Is this a continuation of the Protect The Children (aka, make children detached from reality and unable to adjust to life in the real world) bandwagon that the corporations got all the scared parents to jump on? Or are they trying to keep the price down? I can imagine a real metal truck would be pretty expensive in today's money.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
It's pretty much due to safety. Metal get bent with abuse (and God knows I abused mine!) and it can potentially become sharp. Plastic will just break and make you buy another one.

ShadowFlash

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]It's pretty much due to safety. Metal get bent with abuse (and God knows I abused mine!) and it can potentially become sharp. Plastic will just break and make you buy another one.[/citation]

Actually, After 3 VERY destructive boys, I'de have to say the plastic Tonka trucks today hold up just fine...just like the old plastic Fischer-Price trucks made when Tonka's were still metal were virtually indestcuctible too.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fatedtodie[/nom]"An android is a robot[1] or synthetic organism[2] designed to look and act like a human."From wikipediaSo C-3PO is an android, Data is an android, R2-D2 is a robot.Game, Set, Match.[/citation]
Ah, but apparently you don't have an old, short, german great-aunt, they look more like R2-D2 than C-3PO.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
haha ..nice play Jane, jumbling up the famous Obi Wan Kenobi quote "These aren't the droids you're looking for. "

I hope it packs R2-D2 and C-3PO ringtones.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]Whatever happened to the metal Tonka Trucks? I was shopping for my nephew's birthday the other day and they're all made out of plastic now. Is this a continuation of the Protect The Children (aka, make children detached from reality and unable to adjust to life in the real world) bandwagon that the corporations got all the scared parents to jump on? Or are they trying to keep the price down? I can imagine a real metal truck would be pretty expensive in today's money.[/citation]
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]It's pretty much due to safety. Metal get bent with abuse (and God knows I abused mine!) and it can potentially become sharp. Plastic will just break and make you buy another one.[/citation]

I remember watching my brothers use them as weapons in a particularly nasty argument when we were small. Guarantee plastic would have done less damage!!

Still, I loved the metal ones. The one in the picture is the one I remember from when i was little! Yellow bulldozeeeer!

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]Whatever happened to the metal Tonka Trucks? I was shopping for my nephew's birthday the other day and they're all made out of plastic now. Is this a continuation of the Protect The Children (aka, make children detached from reality and unable to adjust to life in the real world) bandwagon that the corporations got all the scared parents to jump on? Or are they trying to keep the price down? I can imagine a real metal truck would be pretty expensive in today's money.[/citation]
Hah, I got my fingers pinched so many times on those Tonka metal trucks but man were they great. They also teach you a healthly respect for the dangers or machinery pinch points.

Status
Not open for further replies.