Verizon Wants To Build First 5G Network In The U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G,5G mean absolutely nothing these days. They are just protocols with max theoretical speeds. But most areas never have enough internet bandwidth backbone to their towers to deliver the current speeds.

So unless 5G can deliver more bandwidth per signal strength or more range, it really means nothing without more bandwidth to the towers.

KevinS200

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

PREACH!

r0b0t2k

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
@TechyinAZ not exactly, depending on what you use the internet for mobile data will probably still be a long way from seriously competing with land line service. The biggest detractor of mobile data being latency. Wireless data is typically more latent delivering packets this is because the physical medium in this case Radio Waves deals in a lot of uncertainties. And so re-transmission of packets happen regularly causing increased latency. There is also inherient design choices that will slow down packet delievery, like TDMA (Time Divsion Multiple Access) where radio resource is use in sort of a round robin scenario. Slow picking up data from all the towers connected devices. Long story short there are too many variables keeping wireless from competeing with land line service, especially if you do anything time sensitive, like Gaming, Cven VOIP can suffer, but they are getting better about making sure VOIP services work and get priority. Now if your just downloading a file or watching a movie on Netflix then mobile will be fine as long as the bandwidth is there, because a small number of packet drops or re-transmits wont be the end of the world.

Daniel Ladishew

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
I hope 5G leads to real "unlimited" data plans, like the nearly universal unlimited text and minutes we enjoy now. When you have to pay full price for a cell phone, plus the expensive plan monthly charges, having to pay an additional fee for the amount of data you pull down feels like customer wallet gouging.

AdviserKulikov

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
What Verizon really wants to do is put out a 5G network before the international standards organizations get around to declaring what 5G actually is. Carriers have done this each generation, putting out 2G, 3G and 4G in a rush with no standards applied (Although not much noise was made about 2G).

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I hope 5G leads to real "unlimited" data plans, like the nearly universal unlimited text and minutes we enjoy now. When you have to pay full price for a cell phone, plus the expensive plan monthly charges, having to pay an additional fee for the amount of data you pull down feels like customer wallet gouging.

That could be the case, but by that time there will be additional features that we will use that will cost extra money.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
We are still using glorified 3G or 3.9G. Still waiting for 4G first. When 5G comes out it will just be 4G on steroids for 10 years before proper 5G becomes reality.

Starting with 4G there were changes such as you listed. It was based on the same idea behind WiMAX, which was to increase range and throughput. LTE_A is based on the same idea as WiMAX 2, which increased throughput.

5G is probably going to be based on the ideas behind WiGig which should have an increase in range and throughput up to 1Gbps to multiple users in the same area while 4G currently has to allocate bandwidth to keep from bottlenecking.

You should rad up on 5G. It pretty much should do what you are saying. The issue with 4G was probably the carriers holding back to make more money. Same will probably happen with 5G TBH.

humorific

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Congratulations and welcome to the Verizon Wireless 5G network...You have now exceeded your allowance. Please adjust your plan to avoid overage charges.

alextheblue

Distinguished
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G,5G mean absolutely nothing these days. They are just protocols with max theoretical speeds. But most areas never have enough internet bandwidth backbone to their towers to deliver the current speeds.

So unless 5G can deliver more bandwidth per signal strength or more range, it really means nothing without more bandwidth to the towers.

You're telling me that you honestly think the bottleneck is in the fiber going to the towers?? You're high. There's a LOT of users in a cell and only so much frequency to go around. 5G is absolutely critical and by the time they deploy it we'll need it (more users and higher demand per user), and the bottleneck is NOT the pipes feeding the towers.

Bignaz1

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
Everyone acting like they know about mobile networks and the hardware. But i bet im the only one here who deals with the hardware every day. Yup i work with the fiber optic receivers and we send them to Verizon. But i'll just let the guys who googled mobile networks be the internet mobile network pros they are. Here you go use these so peple will be impressed when you talk about stuff you have no idea on.

Light wave component analyzer.
Electrical return loss
Optical return loss
Group delay

Use stuff like that and people will think you might think you have seen a high speed optical receiver one time in your left.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
Everyone acting like they know about mobile networks and the hardware. But i bet im the only one here who deals with the hardware every day. Yup i work with the fiber optic receivers and we send them to Verizon. But i'll just let the guys who googled mobile networks be the internet mobile network pros they are. Here you go use these so peple will be impressed when you talk about stuff you have no idea on.

Light wave component analyzer.
Electrical return loss
Optical return loss
Group delay

Use stuff like that and people will think you might think you have seen a high speed optical receiver one time in your left.

Oh yes! Because you are the only employee of Verizon! And if there are others, there'd be no way they would go on Tom's Hardware right? Right?

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
4G LTE is fast enough. Well for me it is. Though i will say consistency will never be there. Ever. My brother works for t-mobile as a cell site technician. Dead zones will always be there, and depending on the area you just might not get good reception. You live on the wrong side of the block. I walk about 50 feet south of my house and boom bars for days. Go back and i go from 1 to 2 to none. Though I'm quite sure none of us would want to go back to 4G or let alone 3G. So i'm all in. 5G it is :)

sportsmc3

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2013
They will definitely need to change their data plans then, because the amount of content that can be conveniently downloaded will be too large for 10 gb per month plans, I will blow through that in less than a week easily.

Let me tell you something you already know. Mobile data ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty service, and I don't care how careful you are, it will beat you to your data limit and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna beat their mobile data plan. But it ain't about how fast you browse. It's about how long you can get shit done and keep your data plan going; how much you can download and keep your data packets flowing.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Looks cool! Eventually companies like Verizon will start offering serious competition for internet companies. :)

God I hope not. Then we have companies such as verizion refuse to upgrade their land lines because their laggy, unreliable (especially with inclimate weather) wireless solution is "good enough" and cheaper for them to deploy. And they still won't service low population areas even though its cheaper to deploy. And will continue to wank over their record breaking profit figures and "best in class support and customer satisfaction".

hotcheetos25

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

I don't know where you live but with LTE I have incredible speed almost all the time and I'm pretty sure that the engineers will take into account bandwidth.

keyguy13

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
I'd like to see them fix their phone network first. I live in a major city and get the worst cell reception of the 4 major carriers. I use an s4 and an iphone 5s. AT&T has consistently had far better reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.