Question Verizon wifi router suddenly started giving intermittent connection

cgott42

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013
I've had Verizon FIOS for roughly10-15 years. I have their 1gb router. It had been working great and then suddenly the wifi signal started to drop intermittently (and very often). The problem is even if you're right next to the router. The wired connections from the router work great, and if I connect (wire) a different wifi router to the Verizon router - that signal seems to work fine.
I had them send me a new router, which worked ok for a week, and now has the same problem.
The problem exists on the 2.4GHz, and 5GHz bands .
Further, I even put only 2 (core) devices on the 5GHz band, and still has a problem, in addition to the problem devices on the 2.4GHz band experience (even the IoT band)
I didn't make major changes (that I can recall)

I spoke to the Verizon tech, and they didn't have answers (though did send me a new router)

Any ideas?

It is very strange you have issues on both radio bands. These are different chips in the router. In addition replacing the router and having the same issue likely means it is not hardware in the router.

Pretty much all wifi problems are some kinda of interference from say your neighbors.

What is different between the router that you plug into the verizon router. Is it running and the same radio channels. Maybe try to force the verizon router to use the same channels as the router that works. Worst case there really is little disadvantage to running the second router for wifi. Be sure you run it in AP mode so you only have 1 network.

cgott42

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013
It is very strange you have issues on both radio bands. These are different chips in the router. In addition replacing the router and having the same issue likely means it is not hardware in the router.

Pretty much all wifi problems are some kinda of interference from say your neighbors.

What is different between the router that you plug into the verizon router. Is it running and the same radio channels. Maybe try to force the verizon router to use the same channels as the router that works. Worst case there really is little disadvantage to running the second router for wifi. Be sure you run it in AP mode so you only have 1 network.
thanks, what is "AP mode"?