Verizon Wireless Reportedly Caps Netflix, YouTube Data Speeds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Once Netflix PAYS they get back to full bandwidth. Just like in 2014. That undermines all of the "they need to do this to limit bandwidth" arguments.

This has nothing to do with bandwidth, this is about monetizing control of user internet access.

Bandwidth limits are applied at the user and do not care about source "If you have used more than XXX gigabytes and we have network congestion then you are limited to YYY mb/sec". Bandwidth caps already exist. "..a big influx of their customers start fully utilizing that 50 megabit, uncapped connection for significant lengths of time, it's going to lead to network congestion...." These problems are handled with caps at the users who are using the bandwidth, not with the source of the data.

I always thought the way ISP's handle data usage was completely backwards. Data caps and throttling just mean the beginning of the month is congested and slow for everyone. Then at the end of the month congestion reduces, but it will still be slow for heavy data users. If you're an ISP, wouldn't you much rather have traffic spread as evenly as possible?

To incentivize that, treat the congestion, not the total data used. By default, let everything go as fast as the network will allow. When congestion hits, throttle everyone equally. But give every user a High Priority and Low Priority mode that can only be activated during high congestion. When they activate High Priority, their traffic comes first. In Low Priority mode, they get throttled but they gain High Priority minutes. Eventually, people will start to self regulate. If they're not doing anything important they can set it to Low, and if they are, they can go to High but they'll finish faster and then get off the network.

allawash

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I understand making it so each user on the tower has access to some bandwidth, but are they also capping services such as go90 and StreamPass? I highly doubt it since they own/push those services to their customers. I believe they should throttle people based on the available bandwidth on the tower, not based on the service being used. Complicated situation, they do buy the spectrum, and I'm not totally sure what things the government subsidizes for them.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
yeah but is caping their data at 12mb only for HD netflix plans? if so then you 12mb speeds is perfectly fine. has anyone tried to test what would happen with a UHD netflix plan? thats my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.