Verizon Won't Activate New Nexus 7 Until KitKat Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter how you spin this, Verizon is at fault. They choose not to activate devices that are fully compatible with their LTE network, in disdain of their own customers. Knowing Verizon's "certification" process, you can bet the next Nexus will be out by the time they deem this one "certified" for their precious network.
Now that Verizon came up with their own cheap tablet the "mystery" was revealed. Verizon just didn't want any competition on their network.

I guess the other wireless companies can pick up the slack.
Now all we need is trolls like otacon popping up blaming the tablet, not the network. In 3..2..1..

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
If I have to choose an industry that abuse duopoly or tripoly the most, it's telecom. Especially Verizon. They are good when it comes to technological edge, but worst at ethics. I still have a Verizon phone, good 10 years after they tried to ovrbill me three months in a row. I couldn't find any better carrier, unfortunately.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Verizon knows the Nexus 7 blows the pants off that garbage self-branded tablet it just released. It just wants to get in some cheap holiday sales of that garbage it's pushing.

There is absolutely no incompatibility as you can stick a Verizon sim card in a Nexus 7 and it works fine.

mrjhh

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Just because a device appears to work doesn't mean it isn't causing problems elsewhere. While I know nothing about the Nexus 7, other devices have had problems controlling the signal level of the output, causing interference with other devices. Other problems have included excess signaling traffic.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Works fine, Verizon is stalling to sell their own crap.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
If you go out and buy a phone or tablet you can use on any carrier, you pay a steep cost because you're just buying one and by law that device isn't allowed to be "locked" to just one carrier. Carriers sign contracts to buy bulk at discounted prices, then they appear to pass of said discount to the customer by giving you a contract for 20+ months.
The problem is the Nexus tablets sell at cost, so Verizon can't lock you into a 2 year contract without actually losing a larger amount of money than deemed acceptable on the hardware.
And let's be honest here, they've got a load of Apple stuff sitting on shelves they got heavy discounts on for buying in bulk they can push instead and make big profits.
Its a simple system, end users are screwed in the process at every turn.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
And all this is just for Verizon refusing to lock Nexus7 on their network and sell it cheaper?
Just buy it from somewhere else unlocked... users just proved that sticking a verizon sim in it works !

Ladies and gents, there it is: always someone that disregards all the evidence and proclaims his own version of "truth". It doesn't matter that EVERY single LTE Nexus sold out there works just fine with a proper SIM card in it (yes, even Verizon SIM cards), no, that is just "rich" in his opinion.
I guess the world is flat, too. Geez...

osgoodschlotter

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
The N7 is crap anyway, the touchscreen issues are atrocious. No doubt this is the "systems issue" Verizon is referring to. They know the N7 is a lemon, and want Google/ASUS to get their $hit together!!

osgoodschlotter

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
The N7 is crap anyway, the touchscreen issues are atrocious. No doubt this is the "systems issue" Verizon is referring to. They know the N7 is a lemon, and want Google/ASUS to get their $hit together!!

osgoodschlotter

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

InvalidError

Titan

The touch screen is only one of many common issues on the N7v2... many people have issues with the GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, some of the other sensors, the camera having a 'tint', frequent freezes and restarts, etc.

I have purchased and return three N7v2 during the first two months of its availability and have experienced nearly all of those issues on all three of them at least to some extent. I had high expectations (the specs certainly look great on paper) but after seeing how Google and Asus do not appear to be addressing the issues and people are still complaining about a mix of those issues still being present on devices manufactured in Septermber, I would have to put it on my do-not-buy list.

Google's N5 forum appears to have quite a few unhappy campers too, which may indicate that many of the N7's woes may be caused by software bugs in 4.3 that carried over to 4.4 on the N5.

Status
Not open for further replies.