Vertex 2 vs C300 (Sandforce vs Marvell)

G

Okay, this is a pretty simple question. I'm going to buy an SSD soon (hopefully before the new year) but I really don't know if I should go for a Sandforce or Marvell based drive. If I get a Marvell drive it will be the Crucial RealSSD C300 (I think this is the only one with that controller, correct me if I'm wrong); if I get a Sandforce drive it will either be the OCZ Vertex 2 or the Mushkin Callisto Deluxe.

I'll be getting the 60-64GB version (do you actually get more space with the Crucial or not?) and they all cost around the same amount of money. I'll be using it with the rig in my signature (which sometimes seems to disappear, if it's not there I'll have to fix it) on Windows 7 and will of course be using it as a boot and programs drive. I do not have SATA 6.0Gb/s and you can assume that I won't ever upgrade to it whilst I still have this drive.

People have said that the Crucial has better 4K speeds which are better for booting Windows and loading programs (which therefore makes it better overall), but the Sandforce drives seem to be a lot more popular and I don't know why.

So, what are your opinions on this and which drive would you buy?

Thanks

EDIT: My signature doesn't want to display, so here are my specs quickly:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ Stock
4GB DDR2 800MHz 5-5-5-15
MSI P31 Neo
2x 500GB SATA HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

icehot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I'm facing this same question I think I've settled on the C300 though, you get slightly more storage space, and I read somewhere (can't remember where though) that the C300 with the latest firmware is faster than sandforce...

G

Yeah, this is what I've heard people say. Apparently the only thing it lacks in is write speeds for larger files.

First off, I dought that you would see a nickels worth of difference in performance in real life. That said, I'd go with the vertex-2 (Had the same choice and went with the Gskill Pheonix Pro, same controller).

I have the P55 (NOT A ver, or USB3 ver), what I did was add a Asus U3S6 card to provide usb 3 and sata 6 capabiliies. (Newegg price $24 currently out of stock) only cavet, need a pci-e x4, or higher slot. Even having SATA III (6) avail I still went with the SF1200 controller SSD).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995004&Tpk=asus%20u3s6

Added:
DON'T forget, if you get the vertex-2 or one using the SF-1200 controller. Select AHCI in bios and select custom install. Use the latest Intel RST driver. Put the "F6" driver on a floppy or usb thumb drive. Check the box for other drivers (For win 7 it is on the page where you select partition to instal to.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2170&DwnldID=18861
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=19607&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

G

Hm, thanks.

I think I'll probably go with the Vertex 2 then. I've found somewhere I can get it for £89, although it's a Christmas sale so I better hurry up :p