Question Vertical GPU mount ?

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
I’d like to mount my gpu vertically, in doing so I have an issue of the graphics card is pressed up quite a lot against my cpu cooler, is it possible to move the highlighted part of the picture further into the other slots to stop this?
Vertical move

Lutfij

Titan
What's the make and model of your vertical GPU mount? From the image you shared, and with that being the only bit of info provided, the standoffs there do make it seem like you can move the PCIe slot on the extension away from the motherboard. Though please keep in mind that moving it closer to the side panel that's not ventilated will hinder your GPU temps.

Then again, I'm curious to learn what your GPU and CPU coolers are.
^ We advise users to mention their specs in the thread's body as opposed to stating specs in my sig since sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens, this thread and their suggestions will be moot to the end user in the same boat as you're in today/now.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
What's the make and model of your vertical GPU mount? From the image you shared, and with that being the only bit of info provided, the standoffs there do make it seem like you can move the PCIe slot on the extension away from the motherboard. Though please keep in mind that moving it closer to the side panel that's not ventilated will hinder your GPU temps.

Then again, I'm curious to learn what your GPU and CPU coolers are.
^ We advise users to mention their specs in the thread's body as opposed to stating specs in my sig since sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens, this thread and their suggestions will be moot to the end user in the same boat as you're in today/now.
I always forget to do that sorry!
The mount is lian li universal gpu mount
The gpu is a gigabyte aorus master 4090
The cpu cooler is a lian li Galahad 2 lcd infinity
Currently if I try to mount the gpu vertically it would push very hard up against the cpu cooler
For reference my case is also a lian li o11 dynamic evo rgb

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
You can use many things for that - blocks, unused medicine bottles, figurines... It's not limited to some anti sag bracket. Scratch that noggin some - you probably have something laying around you can use.
Here’s some pictures to show what I’m dealing with - you can see the anti sag bracket doesn’t line up, and won’t unless I force it upward, and I’m afraid that will bend or break the card, and then the clearance between the gpu and the fans is super limited also
Gpu bracket and clearance

Last edited:

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Sorry, I can't tell what's out of place from those pictures.
I think I can see some warping of the backplate in the first pic, but that might just be me...
I’ve highlighted it as best as I could to show the problem, the hole on the part on the graphics card doesn’t reach up to the slot above it where it’s supposed to be attached
It could be warped but I’d question how, as it was like this the day I put it in the system about 2 weeks ago, I’m unsure what to do about it - I will attempt to vertically mount it and I’ll send a picture of it then so I can be advised as to if itl be choked from air or not
Highlighted

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Sorry, I can't tell what's out of place from those pictures.
I think I can see some warping of the backplate in the first pic, but that might just be me...
Update here, I mounted it vertically and here are the pictures of clearance from the side of the case will this be considered okay? Gpu temps so far seem almost the same - if there is a gpu stress tool I’ll test it
Clearance

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
So far
I think with the bottom intake that should be fine, but definitely check your temps for a little while just to make sure nothing has really changed.
so far playing returnal at 4k ultra with ray tracing and the gpu sits about 60c ish but I’ll keep testing, especially when the summer heat wave comes back
The biggest thing I’m worried about is - will the gpu lose power being mounted with a riser cable? Or will it be the same absolute powerhouse that it was horizontally?

Also for further info there’s 10 fans in the case - 3 bottom intake, 3 side intake, 3 exhaust top on radiator and 1 rear mounted exhaust top

The biggest thing I’m worried about is - will the gpu lose power being mounted with a riser cable? Or will it be the same absolute powerhouse that it was horizontally?
There's no difference between the two with a good quality riser which these are.

As for the card itself I've not heard of any with a big cooler having problems mounted vertically. Some designs can be problematic, but you would already see temperature issues if that were the case.

I've heard people having issues with the upright kit, but that type of mounting is very hit and miss from card to card.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
There's no difference between the two with a good quality riser which these are.

As for the card itself I've not heard of any with a big cooler having problems mounted vertically. Some designs can be problematic, but you would already see temperature issues if that were the case.

I've heard people having issues with the upright kit, but that type of mounting is very hit and miss from card to card.
If that’s the case then I think I’m pretty much set, my gpu temps at the moment seem to sit around 60c when playing games
I’m hoping I’ve done everything right and everything is plugged in enough :)

Reactions: thestryker

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Are those the reverse blade fans?

I can't say for sure intake is desirable here. I have the non-RGB version of the case and only one area that has a mesh filter is the bottom.
While the small perforations in the side panel do act as a form of filtration, they will still let some dust through.
Ehh, probably won't matter if you keep it clean.
Yeah those side fans are reverse blade, I was meant to put reverse on the bottom too but forgot

TRENDING THREADS