Question Vertical line on monitor, is it fixable?

yian11

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
So for the past few weeks I've had a vertical line appear on my monitor that went away after 30 mins of having it turned on.
It is definitely a monitor problem because I removed the hdmi cable and I still saw the same line on the "No Display" message that pops up when it doesn't have anything connected to it.

I bought the monitor in 2013 so there is no warranty. It is an LG 22EA53 IPS LED monitor.

So is it possible to fix this anyhow?

Just replace it. Parts will be very difficult to find and used (dead monitor pulls). A new IPS monitor which is just as good (likely better) is cheap.

It is most likely a bad T Con board. Could also be a TAB fault (internal connectors failing) or loose wiring.

These monitors are cheaply made and designed to be thrown out when they fail. You can try opening it up and look for part numbers. Then see if you can find the components anywhere. I wouldn't spend more than $15 for an old monitor which probably isn't worth more than $50.

So would you recommend avoiding buying IPS LED monitors in general?

No, they are fine. I'm just observing that to keep costs down, thus prices. Monitors aren't meant to be repaired. Outside of warranty spare parts are not readily available.

Reliability wise. It's all a matter of luck. Most monitors last 10+ years. I've had some fail around six or seven years. I don't think it matters if you buy a $100 or a $2,000 monitor as far as reliability is concerned.