[SOLVED] Very Bizarre Partition(s)

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I have a a secondary machine that I refer to as my "Frankenstien" system. It came about a few years back after my last upgrade on my gaming PC. It uses an older AMD Athlon CPU, and other older, some newer parts. Mainly used as a web surfer and mild gaming.
The issue I have is that in the course of switching parts, trading components around, and changing a drive, I ended up with the most bizarre partitions on three drives. All are 1TB (931GB) mechanical drives:

Disk 0: 2 partitions
*System reserved (E) 500 MB NTSF Healthy, Active
*(F) 931.2 GB NTSF

Disk 1: 4 partitions
*System Reserved (D) 500 MB NTSF,
*(C") 222.58 GB Boot, Page file crash dump, primary partition.
*500 MB Recovery Partition (no drive letter).
*(I) 707.94 GB NTSF - Logical drive

Disc 2 -1 Partition-(H) 931 GB NTSF

All show as healthy Primary partitions, with the exception of (I) which shows as a logical drive.

I think this all happened when pulled the original SSD out of it to put in the gaming PC, and something went wacky when I copied the drive onto the HDD.

I do have the 240 GB Intel SSD available again as the gaming rig got its own 1 TB SSD not long ago. I don't know if I can recopy the OS (C:) back onto the Intel SSD and then wipe and redo the HHD's or if it would be better to just do a clean install on the solid state? Then fix those drives.

I really don't use all that storage on the other drives but they came to me at a good price - I got them free from unsold equipment my company was getting rid of.

I eventually want to move this unit to the living room where it could be used to store movies and music.

Thanks for advice!

Solution
You can delete 500MB system reserved partition on Disk 0.
You can delete 510MB Recovery partition and empty drive I: and extended partition on Disk 1.
After that extend C: partition to all available space.

Done.
Disk 0: 2 partitions
*System reserved (E) 500 MB NTSF Healthy, Active
*(F) 931.2 GB NTSF

Disk 1: 4 partitions
*System Reserved (D) 500 MB NTSF,
*(C") 222.58 GB Boot, Page file crash dump, primary partition.
*500 MB Recovery Partition (no drive letter).
*(I) 707.94 GB NTSF - Logical drive

Disc 2 -1 Partition-(H) 931 GB NTSF

I don't know if I can recopy the OS (C:) back onto the Intel SSD and then wipe and redo the HHD's or if it would be better to just do a clean install on the solid state? Then fix those drives.
Please show screenshot from Disk Management instead of this.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

What was the question? Not quite clear.

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
Well, the whole issue has been rendered sort of academic, as during a boot up I was greeted with a BSOD and a notice that I needed to insert my Windows Disc to perform a recovery. Heck, if I was going to insert the Widows disc, I might as well reinstall everything onto the SSD - so I did! I managed to recover a few files off the old mechanical drive by docking it into another system before doing so and now the new (old)SSD drive lives happily in the case with its 2 sisters, the 1 TB Toshiba drives. All seem to be playing nicely with other.

The old drive? It has been reformatted and all the wacky partitions done away with. I have it sitting in the bottom of the Thermaltake H22 case which will hold something like 3 - 5.25" drives and 3 2.5" drives! It's not plugged in at the moment, as I'm not even sure what to do storage space I have!