[SOLVED] Very fast boot but slow restart

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I have a small question. My laptop takes 3-4 sec to do cold boot. But 30 sec to do a restart.

Its an i7 10510u
32 GB DDR4 2667 Mhz dual channel
980 EVO Pro (running on PCIE 3) (system drive).
870 EVO Plus as extra drive.
Windows 10 Pro latest build.

All latest drivers from Asus and Windows update.

Is the slow restart because Asus haven't optimized the WM properly? Or maybe a chipset limit? Some problem when I only a 660p from Intel as the main drive.

Solution
fast startup in bios and windows are 2 different things. Not related.
Fast startup in bios just loads everything at once, instead of one at a time like default boot does (by everything I mean all the hardware is loaded at once, not in an orderly manner, to speed up the time to hand it to windows)

Fast startup in windows is a form of hibernation. Instead of shutting the PC off at shutdown, it saves copies of all running drivers & windows files into either ram or onto sdd, and puts PC to sleep. When you start PC up, its waking up, not starting afresh. if you have it on in windows (like I suspect you do, since its on by default) then cold start is actually a wake up, it only has problems loading after a restart when it actually has to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you have fast startup on (which you don't need on ssd), the main difference between startup and restart is fact PC is actually off in a restart.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
Its strange its restart that is causing slow down.
is it before or after the windows logon screen?
restart it has to check all the hardware that it probably skips on a start.

what laptop is it?
Do you have newest bios/chipset drivers/intel management engine interface?

are you running the Samsung NVME drivers? here under drivers - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
can run Magician as well, it will check drives and update firmware if need be

Last edited:

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
if you have fast startup on (which you don't need on ssd), the main difference between startup and restart is fact PC is actually off in a restart.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
Its strange its restart that is causing slow down.
is it before or after the windows logon screen?
restart it has to check all the hardware that it probably skips on a start.

what laptop is it?
Do you have newest bios/chipset drivers/intel management engine interface?

are you running the Samsung NVME drivers? here under drivers - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
can run Magician as well, it will check drives and update firmware if need be

Its an Asus Expertbook P2451FA, and it has Fast startup enabled in the bios.

It has the latest ME for it released from Asus.

A cold startup takes 5 sec from when I push the power button to it reach the MS account login screen.

Then I do I restart it takes between 28 - 32 sec from Asus logo to I reach the MS account login screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fast startup in bios just loads everything at once, instead of one at a time like default boot does (by everything I mean all the hardware is loaded at once, not in an orderly manner, to speed up the time to hand it to windows)

Fast startup in windows is a form of hibernation. Instead of shutting the PC off at shutdown, it saves copies of all running drivers & windows files into either ram or onto sdd, and puts PC to sleep. When you start PC up, its waking up, not starting afresh. if you have it on in windows (like I suspect you do, since its on by default) then cold start is actually a wake up, it only has problems loading after a restart when it actually has to load everything from scratch.

A cold startup takes 5 sec from when I push the power button to it reach the MS account login screen.

Then I do I restart it takes between 28 - 32 sec from Asus logo to I reach the MS account login screen.
do you get a blank screen or does it sit on the bios flash screen?

I wonder if turning it off in bios would make any difference.
It could be the delay is caused by a piece of hardware not answering the bios at startup, and it waits to time out that part before continuing
I wonder if there is a way to set the BIOS into verbose mode (where it shows whats happening in background behind the bios flash screen)

Are there any problem devices in Device manager?

Last edited:
Solution

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020

Fast startup in windows is a form of hibernation. Instead of shutting the PC off at shutdown, it saves copies of all running drivers & windows files into either ram or onto sdd, and puts PC to sleep. When you start PC up, its waking up, not starting afresh. if you have it on in windows (like I suspect you do, since its on by default) then cold start is actually a wake up, it only has problems loading after a restart when it actually has to load everything from scratch.

do you get a blank screen or does it sit on the bios flash screen?

I wonder if turning it off in bios would make any difference.
It could be the delay is caused by a piece of hardware not answering the bios at startup, and it waits to time out that part before continuing
I wonder if there is a way to set the BIOS into verbose mode (where it shows whats happening in background behind the bios flash screen)

Are there any problem devices in Device manager?

When Asus released updates for bios, it sad bios flash screen during bios flashes. For some reason Asus have limited their laptop bios to such an extreme you can't even changes we see the boot sequence instead. Like I am used to on my desktop.