Question Very high GPU hotspot temperature on 3080

Nov 15, 2021
Hi, I have a Suprim X 3080 gpu and after benchmarking Cyberpunk on it, the temps in HWinfo settled to around 74C max for the core and 72C max for the memory junction which are great.
However the hotspot went all the way up to 100C after some time. Is this reading accurate? The card has never been taken apart and was bought new.
Should I open it up? If so, do you recommend just repasting it or also changing the pads?
Thanks.

Nov 15, 2021
just did a bit of research and it seems to be a problem with the card. Id recommend repasting it. And tell me how that goes.

Do you mean a problem with the 3080 in general or with the MSI model? if the latter, can you give me your source? Would love to learn more. It sucks when you spend so much for a GPU and it comes like this...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just be aware that Furmark is absolutely brutal on a gpu. It is a known fact that Furmark (it even has a disclaimer) can and Has been responsible for gpu burnouts, it's potentially That brutal.

So while you might see extreme temp Hotspots, take that with a grain of salt, or three, as it's not really representative of anything close to 'normal' operation.

Instead, pick the most brutal game with brutal settings in game, like Ray Tracing with 4k DSR etc, totally max out everything possible, and then check that Hotspot. That'll be your personal limits for your card, with your usage, and anything lesser will be your 'normal'.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Nov 15, 2021
Small update, even with 100C hotspot the card did not thermal throttle and stayed above the 1905mhz boost clock for this model, averaging around 1950mhz with peaks to 1995mhz.
If the card didn't throttle does it mean that the hotspot reading isn't coming from the core?