Question Very low FPS on 3080 Ti

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
https://ibb.co/nCRggtV

I recently installed NVIDIA drivers for my 3080 Ti on Windows 11, but am having major issues with my GPU.
  • The GPU power usage does not go above ~70W, verified using a PMD, even when gaming or running benchmarks. The TDP for this card is 350W
  • GPU-Z shows reported load, power, etc. at 0 for everything.
  • Heaven benchmark runs at 30 fps at 1080p, which is significantly lower than what it should be at with this card. Again, the power usage gets stuck around 70W.
I'm wondering if there's something messed up with my drivers which is causing my GPU to not run at full potential? I performed a clean install of the NVDIA 512.95 Game Ready drivers, so I'm wondering if I did anything wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

I tried using DDU to uninstall all drivers, then install the NVIDIA drivers from scratch, and then reboot, but I'm still having the same issue.

A little backstory, which may or may not be relevant:

I installed a new CPU on my computer recently (3950x -> 5950x). My computer stopped booting into windows--it would restart after going into the login screen. I searched long and hard for a solution, and finally found that some people were able to solve this issue by booting into safe mode and uninstalling display drivers. That seemed to work, but when I booted into windows my GPU wouldn't be detected in Task Manager, and in Device Manager would show up as having a Code 43 error. Everything was also very laggy (e.g. dragging windows around). I went to NVIDIA's website and installed the 512.95 drivers for desktop 3080 Ti. Thankfully it worked, but now I have the issue above where my power usage does not go above 70W and my reporting in GPU-Z is completely messed up.

Last edited:

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
Like John stated: full system specs please :)

Looks like the card only gets it's power from the PCI-E port which is capped at 75W for PCI-E 3.0, did you run three individual cables from the PSU to the 8-pin connectors of the GPU?

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
It was a power delivery issue. Changed PSUs and now it's working fine. Changed back to old PSU and doesn't work anymore. I think it has to do with a burnt cable, but still need to do some more testing on that.