[SOLVED] VERY old PC with i7-2600k. Would like to upgrade, but not sure to what. Help!

bluesycore

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
I currently have:
1) i7-2600k
2) 16gb DDR 3
3) Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA1155
4) Using onboard graphics to run 2 monitors
5) EVGA 550 B3 80 plus Bronze Power supply

This PC has worked well for my needs, which is occasional video editing, some music recording, not interested in gaming much so I sold my GPUs after I was done with gaming. Just lots of multitaksing and normal use.

When I bought the 2600k it was a very powerful processor and from what I have gathered it still is and Intel has made progress, but not leaps and bounds? So I am not sure I should spend $300 plus in a new processor and have to upgrade everything else.

BUT since these components are getting older and have been giving me a hard time (some failures, but not sure what gives), I feel that it may be a good idea to start looking into a new build that won't break the bank, but still be more powerful than what I have and more future proof for the new tech that may be coming out. (like VR?)

Should I look into i5-9600K. I see they go for around $260 and they look to be much better than my i7 2600k and not as expensive as an i7-9700k?
Should I start with a motherboard maybe?

Your help is appreciated!

Solution
My dude,go for a amd cpu: Ryzen 2400g
for it's price to performance is a beast if paired with high speed ram.
But, even with your current ram, you could get nice performance with this cpu.
If you want to go with intel (wich i don't really recommend, in case that you want VR features, you will need at least a gtx 1060 3gb version, and that is just 1 example), go with an i5 8400, or even that 9600k
I will recommend you another amd cpu, that at least in my region, is cheaper and just for multitasking is super!
Dude, get a Ryzen 5 2600x. Trust me. You will not regret.
If you got any questions ask me!

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
My dude,go for a amd cpu: Ryzen 2400g
for it's price to performance is a beast if paired with high speed ram.
But, even with your current ram, you could get nice performance with this cpu.
If you want to go with intel (wich i don't really recommend, in case that you want VR features, you will need at least a gtx 1060 3gb version, and that is just 1 example), go with an i5 8400, or even that 9600k
I will recommend you another amd cpu, that at least in my region, is cheaper and just for multitasking is super!
Dude, get a Ryzen 5 2600x. Trust me. You will not regret.
If you got any questions ask me!

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

He uses ddr3 ram which isn't compatible with that Ryzen cpu so he would need to buy ram anyway when going for that.

are you just using a normal hard drive? upgrading to a solid state drive will greatly speed up your pc when it comes to boot time and general responsiveness, this option doesn't cost much and could eventually be used in the future if you build a new pc.

2600k with 16gb of ram is still a pretty powerful pc.

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Oh, yeah, ur right

You really don't need to upgrade for what you are using it for; if you were doing professional video editing that would be another story. If your failures are hard drives, that's not unusual or the fault of your platform. If you are looking at VR you will need something much more powerful than integrated graphics. Something like a GTX 1060 or RX 580.