Question Very sad. Many games stutter often on new system, No possible Fix it seems

Twinkies49

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
In the past 4+ months I've upgraded my GPU, CPU, SSD, Monitor, Motherboard and RAM. I am using the same case and Power Supply Unit, as the only things that have remained constant.

Unfortunately, I am getting stuttering: high FPS, but FPS will randomly drop 5, 10, 20 (or more in some older titles) frames causing a jarring stutter.

Here is a link to my system specs via CPU-Z Validation: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @ 4398.97 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR (x86.fr)

My PSU: EVGA 600W 80 Gold Plus

Notable Titles that Stutter:

1. - Dead by Daylight - stutters most extreme here- unplayable, which is funny, considering I ran this better on a PC that is more than a decade old
  2. - Portal - very old game on the source engine. Even capping my FPS with vsync on/off I will get a horrendous random frame drop associated with a minifreeze or stutter
  3. - Deep Rock Galactic - also has terrible stuttering, makes the game nearly unplayable
  4. - Rocket League - playable, but annoying at times
  5. - Halo Infinite - to a lesser extent
  6. - Hunt: Showdown - this game's framedrop/stutter issues seem to be isolated from the rest, as it happened on my old system as well and it may have to do with AMD CPUs having slower initial core speeds
Titles That Do Not Stutter Much At All:

1. - Rainbow Six Siege
  2. - Red Dead Redemption
  3. - Forza Horizon 5
  4. - Wreckfest
Things I've tried:

1. - DDU GPU drivers. Made sure to do this when installing my GPU for the first time. I also reinstalled Windows when getting my new mobo and CPU.
  2. - Reinstalled Windows Several Times using installation media via USB
  3. - Tried the latest AMD driver which came out a week or so ago
  4. - Disabled Link State Power Management for PCI express
  5. - Reseated GPU. Made sure everything was connected sufficiently... yet I'm no expert on building PCs, so who knows what my discretion says
  6. - Enabling/Disabling Freesync (freesync monitor)
  7. - etc. I believe reinstalling windows fresh as well as DDU should encompass most troubleshooting techniques software side.
As you can see, I've tried a ton of things. I will say that my temps are normal and GPU/CPU usage seem normal as well while playing, although I could monitor that more frequently, if suggested.
Could this be a PSU issue? I'd find that hard to believe. It's one of the only things in my system I have not "ruled out". However, my GPU/Monitor were the first things I upgraded, which is when I noticed more stutters in certain games. Yet, these were brand new products that seem to have no defect. The card instantly gave me way more FPS and remains cool.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions,

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 600W is the advertised wattage of the unit. 80 plus Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating, what is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU in question?

As for your motherboard, you have one more BIOS version pending update.

Reinstalled Windows
Did you recreate the installer to rule out a corrupt installer?

Stuttering is caused by a temporary lack of a critical resource.
Normally, this is cpu, but it could be insufficient ram or, in the case of multiplayer, too few threads.
What is your case and cooling fan arrangement?
What is your cpu cooler?
Run Hwmonitor.
It will record the current, minimum and maximum temperatures per core.
The minimum should be 10-15c. over ambient for a decent cooler, mounted well.

Look at the maximums.
If you see some 90c.(guessing for ryzen; I know Intel better) in red for a core, it indicates throttling and a cpu slow down.

Twinkies49

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 600W is the advertised wattage of the unit. 80 plus Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating, what is the model of the unit and how old is the PSU in question?

As for your motherboard, you have one more BIOS version pending update.

Reinstalled Windows
Did you recreate the installer to rule out a corrupt installer?

Hello, thanks for the reply. The PSU came with a prebuilt PC I bought back in 2020. So, I do not think it is that old. To get the exact model number, I am not sure if I can fetch it by just looking at it, which I had to remove one of the panels with a screwdriver to see, you can see it here which may help:

View: https://imgur.com/KFvj6UH

As for recreating the installer, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. However, when I reinstalled windows last month trying to fix this issue, I used a new USB flash drive. When getting the motherboard, I used that same flash drive. However, I noticed the stuttering before the mobo came anyway, so I don't think that'd be it.

As for the person asking about my cooling arrangements - its nothing special, the same fan setup that the case came with. My temperatures are cool at all times - at least according to the AMD overlay. Under load in demanding games, my CPU goes to 60-70 C on average and about the same with my GPU, depending on how CPU/GPU demanding the game is.

Twinkies49

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
A friend mentioned that maybe my GPU or CPU could by faulty, would this be likely? Considering all the troubleshooting I have done. Like I said, some games never stutter, and games are still playable, but it is annoying. It is just this tiny fluctuation in framerate, even a frame drop of 2 frames can cause a noticeable microstutter.

I'm on a 165 Hz monitor 1080p display.