[SOLVED] Very sick computer, can't find the issue.

Feb 24, 2020
First off here's my specs:
MB: Gigabyte ud3h-z77x
GPU: MSI GTX 970 8gb
CPU: Intel i5 (Not sure the exact model so I don't want to be wrong but can check if necessary.)
Storage: 250gb ssd, 1tb hdd

My computer parts are about 6 years old so I understand if its a just "old-age" problem.
  • My computer started this about 3 months ago. It will randomly turn on when it is of
    • It will turn off when I tell it to then about 5 minutes later come back on or sometimes longer
    • It sits in this limbo between off and booting. Where I can hit the power button and it will boot but the fan's keep spinning and stay lit up. The power led is on constant and the HDD icon is never on.
  • When I boot it it will sometimes get stuck in this boot loop. Into a gigabyte Dualbios screen with no options. View: https://imgur.com/a/Awu3I3C
    , when this happens It will continue looping on and off to this screen until I take the CMOS battery out for 30+ seconds or hold the reset bios button for 30+ seconds then I'm able to boot into windows.
  • When I get eventually get to the recovery bios I enter the bios, enable internal graphics, and save to desktop.
    • When I do this sometimes the internal graphics will never come on. It will simply just be off. When I investigate in display settings the internal graphics has a blank name and blank details.
  • A few months ago I removed a bitcoin miner virus with malwarebytes. I feel like this might have something to do with it because it started a few weeks prior but I'm not sure.
Any help at all would be extremely appreciated. I work in IT and have never seen anything this bad. It just all started out of nowhere. I have a new motherboard but don't have the money for the new CPU because I decided I wanted to switch to a Ryzen cpu so got a ryzen-type MB.

I've reflashed the bios with @bios and same issue. I've tried both primary and backup bios (physical switch on MB). When booting the light for the respective bios will just blink.

Thanks, Zoruda.

Solution
New CMOS battery; not expensive and replacing the older battery (age?) hopefully will eliminate one possible culprit.

Motherboard User Guide/Manual:

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z77x-ud3h_e.pdf

Verify that I found the applicable Manual and then read through the manual to doublecheck your installations, connections, and configurations. Read the fine print and all other such notes and warnings. Recommend that you read through first and make notes as applicable. Then make changes but only one thing at a time. Again keep notes about what and where changes are made. Just in case a "do over" is needed.

Also, if the motherboard's User Guide refers you to the manufacturer's website - do so. There...

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Have you tried a new CMOS battery?

Maintenance: has the case been opened for cleaning and reseating of all cables and components?

Do you have the applicable User Guide/Manual?

Windows 10 ? Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the behavior that you described.

Overall, the PSU is a likely suspect.

Feb 24, 2020
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Have you tried a new CMOS battery?

Maintenance: has the case been opened for cleaning and reseating of all cables and components?

Do you have the applicable User Guide/Manual?

Windows 10 ? Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the behavior that you described.

Overall, the PSU is a likely suspect.
Corsair Vengeance 750m. 750w maybe about 3 months old? Just got it cuz my 1000w didn't fit in my new case. Great condition.

Haven't tried a new cmos.

Yes it has been opened for cleaning and I've reset a few connectors leading to the motherboard.

User guide for the psu? Yes. Mb no.

Windows 10 yes, nothing super out of the ordinary, the usual hard reset every once in awhile.

Do you think the first fix I should do is new cmos and if thats not it, try to boot with my old 1000w PSU that was working well before I got a new case? If thats the issue buy bigger psu?

Thanks a bunch.

Ralston18

Titan
New CMOS battery; not expensive and replacing the older battery (age?) hopefully will eliminate one possible culprit.

Motherboard User Guide/Manual:

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z77x-ud3h_e.pdf

Verify that I found the applicable Manual and then read through the manual to doublecheck your installations, connections, and configurations. Read the fine print and all other such notes and warnings. Recommend that you read through first and make notes as applicable. Then make changes but only one thing at a time. Again keep notes about what and where changes are made. Just in case a "do over" is needed.

Also, if the motherboard's User Guide refers you to the manufacturer's website - do so. There may have been some change or even an error correction that you will need to know about.

As always, before doing anything, you must remember to back up all data and ensure that the data is recoverable and readable.

And you can try booting with the 1000w PSU outside of the case. However, you must be very careful when doing such things. Keep the work area neat and clean.

Do not mix and match the PSU cables between the PSU's And again refer to the PSU's User Guide to check connections.

Solution