Question Very slow and unstable pre-BIOS booting ?

Dec 26, 2022
Hello!
Yesteday I finished building my new PC. In general it works fine, but there is an issue with the booting.

When I push POWER SW button, all the fans and the ARGB lights inside the PC get activated, rotating and flashing. For the next 25(+/-) second just nothing happens. The monitor's display flashes once and reads no signal; mouse and keyboard don't get power.
After those 25 seconds pass, the PC gets brought to life: mouse and keyboard light up, monitor's display finds signal, showing the POST and BIOS loading. Everything else goes swift and nice.

So, briefly:
  1. I push the PC on button. Fans and lights start, but nothing else happens.
  2. After half a minute POST is showed, BIOS loads, mouse and keyboard powered on, PC boots.
And then even more: when I initiate regular reboot from desktop or even when I initiate regular shutdown and then manually restart PC, it gets stuck in the state I described above (pre-BIOS state) and doesn't boot at all (for at least several minutes; after those several minutes I force shutdown)!
For example, during the installation of the Windows 10 OS, the PC have to reboot several times; EACH time it did not pass this pre-BIOS state and I had to force shutdown, so it could then start again (with THE same long pre-BIOS delay, of course) and continue installation.

When the PC finally starts, it works just fine, thought I haven't tested it much.

Even my 10 year old PC with a regular old sata SSD starts MUCH faster. Please, give me a clue, what could be wrong?

Motherbord: ASUS TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI DDR5 (BIOS ver. 1620 Not the latest)
RAM: Kingston KF552C40BBK2-32 2x16GB 5200 MHZ (for sure supported by MB, as it is said on the Asus MB support website!). By default was set to basic 4800 MHz, I, with the first launch, set up XMP profile to 5200 MHz.
CPU: Intel i5-12400F
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070
Storage: Netac NV7000 M.2 SSD 1tb
Power Supply: Zalman MegaMax [700W] ZM700-TXII

Thanks!

Update: problem solved.

I tested more and this is what I came up with:
When the computer was assembled, at the first start in BIOS X.M.P. was turned off, the memory frequency was basic 4800. Without hesitation, I turned X.M.P. on and set up a working 5200 (since it was 5200 that I bought) frequency.

The behavior of the computer then was so it turned on exactly every other time as follows:
  1. the first time it freezes before the BIOS is loaded, the orange DRAM light on the motherboard is lit, and it sometimes switches to the red CPU light for 1-2 seconds (and the fans snort a little), then the orange light again and this cycle repeats endlessly (I then force shutdown with the button);
  2. the second time (after a forced shutdown) at startup, the orange DRAM light is lit for half a minute, after which the computer finally turns on;
  3. after the next regular shutdown/reboot, the cycle returns to point 1).

Then I turned off X.M.P. in BIOS, the frequency returned to the base 4800. And voila: everything worked perfectly on the fly, no more delays and freezes.

After that, I decided to put RAM sticks instead of slots A1 + B1 into slots A2 + B2 (that's how they are on the image in the instructions for the motherboard, although I think there should be no difference) and immediately turned X.M.P. back again to 5200. And suddenly, everything continues to work perfectly and without the previous delays, and at 5200! God knows what that was, but now everything is fine (for good, I hope).

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

Motherbord: ASUS TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI DDR5 (BIOS ver. 1620 Not the latest)
The first thing you should be doing is update the BIOS...to the latest version. Considering you're on 1620, you should go to 2012. Please note what's stated in the BIOS description;
"1. Improve system performance
  1. Support Intel Arc graphics
  2. Many ME updates and optimizations for the next-gen CPU are included. This version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous versions to ensure better compatibility.

“Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.1885v2 to ensure optimized system settings.”"

After that, I decided to put RAM sticks instead of slots A1 + B1 into slots A2 + B2 (that's how they are on the image in the instructions for the motherboard, although I think there should be no difference)
Since none of us were responsible/involved during the manufacturing or even PCB trace layout of the motherboard, nor compilation of the motherboard's manual, that's a tall order to ask or assume. The manual is there to help guide newcomers to the hobby/profession/industry to have a smooth experience when building a system for the first time.

How old is the PSU in your build?

Lastly, I'm responding to this thread for the sake of posterity as a thread with no responses does tend to go missing into the interwebs.

Reactions: DiSv
Dec 26, 2022
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

The first thing you should be doing is update the BIOS...to the latest version. Considering you're on 1620, you should go to 2012. Please note what's stated in the BIOS description;

After that, I decided to put RAM sticks instead of slots A1 + B1 into slots A2 + B2 (that's how they are on the image in the instructions for the motherboard, although I think there should be no difference)
Since none of us were responsible/involved during the manufacturing or even PCB trace layout of the motherboard, nor compilation of the motherboard's manual, that's a tall order to ask or assume. The manual is there to help guide newcomers to the hobby/profession/industry to have a smooth experience when building a system for the first time.

How old is the PSU in your build?

Lastly, I'm responding to this thread for the sake of posterity as a thread with no responses does tend to go missing into the interwebs.
I've tried updating Bios, but I haven't managed to update Intel ME firmware (it is necessary before updating Bios). It said something like "ME driver not installed" or kinda like that. I could not solve that issue