Very slow boot times after adding hard disc to system with SSD boot dr

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I’m running a Samsung SSD and it starts up Windows 7 pretty fast. Once the Windows logo comes up it takes maybe 5 or 10 seconds to display the login prompt. Then it jumped to 2-3 minutes. It took me awhile to figure out what happened but after trying many different things I found that it was the large data only drive that I had added shortly after the new Windows 7 install. If I unplug it I’m back to 5 or 10 seconds till the login.

What is the point of getting an SSD if you can’t add a large data drive? Any ideas?

It’s a new build with:
ASRock X79 Extreme 9 motherboard
Samsung 512MB 830 SSD
Seagate 4TB Hard Disk

The SSD and the larger disk drive are both on the only 2 Intel SATA3 ports. If I move it to any other port its a little slower. Indexing is not enabled for the drive. I have no virus scanning software at the moment. I tried disabling the other 2 SATA controllers.

HardwareHead

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Alright, so I had this very same problem and I went through everyone's advice and tried everything to solve the slow boot-up problem. Turned out it was the USB drive in my Logitech G19 USB port. But could anybody explain to me why this may have caused a problem? I plugged in the same USB to the front bay on my case (Cooler Master HAF X). No problem, fast boot. The keyboard USB seems to be the issue. I just don't understand it. Thanks!

Radek87

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
*** Solution ***

Problem description:
My PC were booting in matter of seconds with my SSD, after I added HDD the boot times increased to minutes. Removal of HDD set boot time back to normal. Also my windows 8 wouldnt start or install while HDD was in computer, windows 7 starts but only very slowly. Event viewer reports error ID 109 - device caused boot slow down.

Solution:
- enter bios on your computer (delete, f10, f12 keys)
- find your HDD or HDD management options
- change SATA mode to ATA/IDE mode on problematic HDD, leave SSD in SATA mode
- optionally: disable S.M.A.R.T. in bios
- optionally: try different AHCI

This helped to me. There is still a minor slow down - about 15 seconds because of the HDD, but all the other problems are gone now.

Tags:
slow boot time hdd ssd ahci ata ide error ID 109 Windows 8 won't start install blocked

ThePixelWhisperer

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I've discovered that, like some of the previous posters, USB 3.0 external hard drives are picky about how they're plugged in. I have a LaCie external drive that slowed Windows boot from SSD by 11 seconds. Turning it off, of course, made the problem go away. But manually turning the drive on/off defeats the purpose of automatic backups.

My LaCie was plugged into a high-performance power strip, which was in turn plugged into my uninterruptible power supply. I tried plugging the LaCie drive directly into the UPS. It worked! Boot times are now back to normal. Don't ask me why this worked--AC power type and quality of an external component should have no bearing on Windows boot time. And that power strip is functioning perfectly. All's well that ends well, I say.

Try plugging your hard drive into a different and/or more direct AC source.

bidomo

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I have a similar problem...

Have 2 SSDs, an Intel 320 Series 120Gb and a Samsung PM830...

The intel used to boot very fast, made some changes in the install, deleted some ProgramDara files by mistake, and it started to take like 40 sec to boot...

Cloned the Intel to the Samsung (no alignment problems at all, checked everywhere), still takes like 30 secs, I think is a lot for a totally clean install...

Users, ProgramData Folder live in a mechanical drive...

Should I reinstall from 0? or could I possible do something else (like a sysprep to enter audit mode, create a new user, so it recreates info and stuff)?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

EDIT:: Reinstalled the PM830, runs like hell.

edifice1981

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Firstly sorry if i haven't posted this correctly, don't use forums often.

Thanks Tanquen for your valuable input in writing this and updating it.
I have a similar configuration with 1 x SSD (OS DISK), 1 x 2TB HDD Seagate (Data Disk) and I am using shadow copy on my data disk and once a week i have windows backup doing a system image of OS Disk and also backing up selected folders on my data disk.
Recently I went on holidays and all appeared to be operating well and after I got back it became a headache. I am currently rebuilding the OS Disk from scratch and I think I am going to have to rethink my backup strategy to avoid the HDD giving me a headache.

justin_you

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

This might be an old thread, but i found it VERY useful.
I have the exact same problem, i use the following method to solve my problem:
1. I bought a second hand 4TB WD Black HD.
2. After connecting into the MB, it makes the booting of SSD slower by another 15 seconds.
3. Unplug the 4TB HD, the reboot return to the original state.
4. Thinking I bought a faulty HD.
5. Looking at the comments from Tanquen, i disable all the Windows Backup for all the Hard disc.
6. Reboot the machine but no improvement.
7. So i go check the windows backup for this particular 4TB HD.
8. So i go to MY Computer, right click on the new HD, select Properties, click on Previous Versions.
9. Noticed there are several records inside the Folder Version. But it can't find anything after i click on those version. These version must be the backup version from the previous owner of the HD.
10. Then i go format the 4TB HD, and then check the Previous Versions again and found the records is missing now.
11. Reboot the PC and boot up speed reduce to its original state.
12. Problem solved.

robrace

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

Interesting...I have almost the exact same system and encountered the same problem after creating a System Image in the Restore & Backup utility. I too added it to the Seagate and my boot time went to about 3 minutes. I deleted the System Image (and created a new one on a removable drive) but still no improvement. Since it was a new drive with no data on it I then did a quick format and the problem was solved. Back to very fast boot times! Thanks to Tom's Hardware for the help!

Juy7

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks fpr providing all that info, i just reinstalled Win7 from scratch on a newly bought SSD and using a 2TB Caviar Green as secondary drive for data.

The windows Logo barely loaded up and i was on the desktop almost instantly in the beginning. When i was happy with the freshly installed system with Antivirus and some Software i did a Windows Image Backup of the system and stored it on the secondary 2TB drive.

And there you go, boot time from BIOS Beep to Desktop before backup 24 sec, after doing the backup it increased to 32 sec.

The only way for me to get back to the 24sec boot was backing up the system on a external usb 2.0 drive and formatting the 2TB secondary drive.

Without this thread i propbably would never found out about this, you saved me a lot of grief guys, thanks for that!

dypsis

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Hi guys.

I just bought a 4TB WD Black Hard Drive for my storage, and ever since, my boot times have slowed dramatically.

It seems that the common denominator here are WD Hard Drives.

I still haven't found a solution. I have no windows system backup running. I guess you are talking about File History in Windows 8.1.
Any ideas?

meeveret

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Thanks to everyone in this post especially Tanquen, after searching for a few hours over the course of a few days I finally found this thread with Tanquen's problem which matched mine perfectly!

For those just looking for a solution I simply did the following:

Windows 7 Professional:
Start > Right Click Computer > Properties
Click System Protection
Click your huge data drive (D drive in my case)
Click configured
Click the Delete button to remove all useless restore points
Click Turn off system protection to permanently disable them.
Click OK and check your boot times!

So my solution isn't exactly like his but I looked to see if Volume Shadow Copy was on and it was not. It wasn't causing the problems but all the talk about backups here made me think about System Restore and try it.

My deal:

Building a new PC for a client. They of course wanted a 4TB hard drive to store security footage from 7 camera's I installed in their house a few weeks back.

Hardware:
ASRock AM1B-ITX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 5350 APU
8GB Kingston DDR3 1600 CL9 240 Pin UDIMM (KHX16C9B1RK2/8X)
ASUS SATA DVD ROM
Logisys case with 480W Power Supply
Kingston 120GB ssdNow 300V (SV300S37A/120G)
Seagate ST4000DX001 4TB+8GB NAND Flash 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Kingston Sata drive on the AMD sata controller (I think its AMD) and Seagate & ASUS drives on the ASRock sata controller.

-First installed Windows 7 on the Seagate drive (with no SSD) and everything seemed fine, except the drive was just 2TB.
-Learned about GPT and UEFI and all that crazyness that reminded me of my first >2GB hard drive install, back in the day.
-Amazingly I got UEFI enabled and windows 7 automatically created the GPT partition and I had a bootable 4TB drive (well 3.71 TB or something)
-However after loading drivers I noticed the boot times were terrible.
-Timed it at over 2 full minutes.
-I had purchased a 4TB Hybrid drive specifically because Seagate advertised fast boot times.
-Tried searching the web for a solution but came up empty, well after an hour of research gave up.
-Next I told my client I assumed it was the 4TB limit and this new fancy GPT partition/UEFI boot process. Said we needed a 120GB SATA drive so we could get the 20 second boot times I promised him
-He went for it and I added the 120GB SATA Drive as specified above
-Reinstalled Windows 7 Pro and loaded the chipset drivers
-To my complete amazement I had a LONGER boot time almost 3 minutes!
-So I rolled up my sleeves and started searching for Slow boot times as a result of adding a 4TB drive and found this forum.
-The rest is in my solution above.

Sorry for the long post but all the follow up questions above lead me to my solution and I hope I can help someone else out there too!

mgoetter

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Old thread but I had the same problem with a data drive (1TB), tried everything in this thread then I referred to my MOBO book for SATA port numbering.

SATA ports were labeled 1-6 I had the data data drive plugged into 2 and my SSD plugged into 4. I changed my SSD to plug #1 and my data HDD to plug 4 and my boot times changed back to normal.

Also I set my data drive to drive Z, it was previously drive A. I don't think this is what solved it but I am adding it just in case.

G

Deleted.

Kujawillpwnyooo

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014

I had the same issues with my startup..when my HDD was connected, my SSD would load in 2-3 minutes. When i disconnected it, I had a 20 second startup. But I found the solution. I personally used EaseUS Parition Manager (free edition) to format the HDD as a Logic drive, rather than a primary drive. I initially was using the windows Partition manager. Once I reformatted the HDD as a Logic drive, my start times were fixed. Hopefully this will fix your problem as well.

IndianaBlues

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
I've had the same issue. I used EaseUS free to clone Windows 7 from another drive (to fix another issue previously documented) but what did it for me was sticking a Windows restore onto one of my wd Red data drives. I reformatted the drive and reboot went back to 20ish seconds from 5ish minutes

kaswyn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Hi guys,

I know this is an old post, but it is super helpful. I had the same thing with my 3TB Toshiba (Hitachi) drive on my i5-3570K system. Originally I had installed Windows 7 while both drives were plugged in. This resulted in Windows throwing some boot files on the HHD even though I did not pick it as the install drive. Consequently, once I removed my old HHD drive, Windows 7 no longer booted. I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 on my SSD without my HHD plugged in. I noticed my HHD now had some goofy partition reserved, so I used diskpart to wipe out that system reserved partition due to not being able to do that from Disk Management. I am unsure if I noticed the slowness before or after I reinstalled Windows. However, My Samsung 256GB SSD boots up in like 8 seconds. When I inserted my 3TB drive, it would slow the Windows boot to about 40 seconds.

I had turned on System Protection for my HHD, due to the threat of ransomware trojans that encrypt your files and forces you to pay them, with or without success. Shadow Copy can save you by making a copy as the trojan encrypts your file, thus allowing you to restore a previous copy. I wanted to keep my cake and eat it too. After all, I have the same make/model drive in an i7-2600K system and it works flawlessly with the setting, and about almost 2TB full. Anyways, how I resolved my slowness was this:

1. Right-click Computer > Properties > System protection.
2. Highlight HHD and click Configure. Click Delete. This didn't help.
3. My setting is set to 35% so I lowered it to 10%. That didn't help.
4. I turned off system protection for my HHD. This helped. Boot times now drop to 8 seconds.
5. I turned system protection back on for my HHD, at 35%. I can still boot in about 8 seconds. WOOOOOOHOOOO!

Moral of the story is you may not need to reformat your drive. I had a few downloaded apps and drivers on it and chose not to reformat.

Thanks for all ya'll tips!

Loki77777

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
Hey guys,

same problem. Pretty bad boot performance with a Samsung 830 SSD systen partition and a HDD für User folder and stuff.

Plug Play, Group Plug and Autostart seem to cause problems. Any ideas what this could be?

Grantcr

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

Your instructions worked perfectly, just what I was looking for!

Thanks
Grant

Petaloudes

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Hi, I have the same problem but cannot solve it with all these instructions.
This is my configuration:
1 disk (C:) SSD (OS + some programs) - Samsung 840 pro 128
2 disk (D:) HDD (Programs + user folder with symbolic link from c:) - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
3 disk (E:) HDD (data only) - WD Caviar Green 2TB

After various tests I found out that with the SSD connected only, the boot time is about 8-10 seconds, as it was after the original installation.
If I connect the others HDD, it take about 20-30 seconds, where the most is after the POST screen and before the azure logging screen of Windows.
I had a system image on the third disk, so I deleted it and formatted in MBR (all disks were in GPT).
No success.
I deleted all the system images and deactivated shadow copy on all disks.

Any idea?
thanks

Jerry Greenberg

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
I would suggest a few things...

If the HD is a 3 GB/sec drive it will cause some bottle necking especially when writing between the drives, and can cause some delays when the computer is starting up. An HHD (hybrid hard drive) with 6 GB/sec would be a much better choice for a second drive to use along with an SSD. The HHD drives are far down in price since the last year or two.

Another suggestion in addition which may be effecting the boot up time, is to go in to the BIOS drive settings, and make sure the first order drive is the SSD and not the HD. With the proper setting for the boot drive priority, in combination with an HHD drive as the second drive would most likely solve your issues.

If you do change your data drive for an HHD, get a USB utility case that uses an external power supply for the removed HD. Install it in the box and you can use it as an external image backup drive for your computer.

Media-Monster

Reputable
May 16, 2015
====================================================================

Hey Meevert,
Thanks for the answer - PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! My rig is a home build NZXT Phantom 820, X99 FTW, i7-5820k pro, 32gb ram, Samsung 850 SSD, WD 4TB Black (i.e. my video data drive), you know plus all the other good stuff. After installing Windows 7-64bit Pro I only had the SSD installed and everything was great so I installed Norton plus other apps, all still okay. Then, I bought the WD and installed it, that's when the "slow boot time" started. I tried a lot of settings, several reinstalls, changed my BIOS to boot from the optical drive first (so you can format the disk), searched the internet for clues for about 3 days and I don't think I would have ever thought about this setting. Anyway, it works great, thanks again. Media-Monster - Arlington, Texas

====================================================================

Eyriman

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016

Man i made an account just to thank you! This was the only solution that worked for me! Thank you very much! :)