Very slow boot times after adding hard disc to system with SSD boot dr

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I’m running a Samsung SSD and it starts up Windows 7 pretty fast. Once the Windows logo comes up it takes maybe 5 or 10 seconds to display the login prompt. Then it jumped to 2-3 minutes. It took me awhile to figure out what happened but after trying many different things I found that it was the large data only drive that I had added shortly after the new Windows 7 install. If I unplug it I’m back to 5 or 10 seconds till the login.

What is the point of getting an SSD if you can’t add a large data drive? Any ideas?

It’s a new build with:
ASRock X79 Extreme 9 motherboard
Samsung 512MB 830 SSD
Seagate 4TB Hard Disk

The SSD and the larger disk drive are both on the only 2 Intel SATA3 ports. If I move it to any other port its a little slower. Indexing is not enabled for the drive. I have no virus scanning software at the moment. I tried disabling the other 2 SATA controllers.

zlandar

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016

This worked for me. Have an i5 Haswell with 128GB SSD for boot connected to an external raid 5 with 4 x 3TB hard drives. It would take almost 2 minutes to boot into Windows with the Windows logo showing the entire time. When I disconnected the external storage boot times dropped to 15 seconds.

System protection was already turned off for the external storage but I went ahead and deleted any restore points. This took awhile and I left it working over night. Woke up the next morning and rebooted. 15 second boot with external storage connected!

Thanks for the very helpful tip.

Apr 24, 2019
After replacing a 1TB disk with a 3TB (red wd) i ran into very similar problems. Fixed it by running Chkdsk in cmd.exe as admin, Standard chkdsk could not solve it. It took all day, but booting is back to normal speed. My issue was with Bitmap error.

Safereader

Commendable
Jun 15, 2019
After replacing a 1TB disk with a 3TB (red wd) i ran into very similar problems. Fixed it by running Chkdsk in cmd.exe as admin, Standard chkdsk could not solve it. It took all day, but booting is back to normal speed. My issue was with Bitmap error.
What exactly chkdsk you made? with /F or with /F /R ?
or /F /R /B (that last have it windows 10 if I remember well)
Because only if you include /R or /B can take all day

logicycle

Prominent
Aug 13, 2019
Hey Everyone,

I had this problem a while ago and stumbled upon a solution that is different than than what Meeveret explains. I have an AMD system with a Samsung SSD as UEFI boot drive and a 1TB WD Blue + 6TB seagate Barracuda pro. The windows boot time was fast ~25 sec before adding the 6TB HDD.

After adding the 6TB drive windows would get stuck on the logo splash screen for about 3-4 mins and them eventually boot into windows.

The Fix?

1. I connected the problematic drive to the system and waited the 4 min to boot into windows.
  2. Opened MiniTool Partition Wizard 11
  3. Did a partial Wipe Partition (maybe run for 5-10 minutes) this would take all day to wipe a 6 TB drive
  4. Delete all partitions
  5. convert GPT to MBR
  6. convert MBR to GPT
  7. Make new partition
  8. reformat the new partition.

So the key thing for me turned out to be that my GPT (GUID Partition Table) was either corrupt, misformed or whatever. But using partition wizard to destroy the current GPT and redo it, and make a new partition it somehow solved the long windows boot time.

I would recomend also following Meeveret's advice and turn off system restore on all drives except the SSD boot drive also b/c that seems to work for others as well. Just thought I would share what I learned.

TLDR?
Fix the GPT