[SOLVED] Very slow boot times or fast boot with a lot of lag for Ryzen build

nosul23

Honorable
Apr 28, 2015
Build :
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (with included Wraith Spire Prism Cooler)
Motherboard - MSI X570-A Pro
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8 3000Mhz
PSU - EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular
System Drive - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVME
(Peripheral drives for games etc include 2 WD HDDs and a Samsung SSD)

Problem : Computer boot times are very slow, Im stuck on the MSI A pro logo with the white spinning wheel for around 2 minutes before the computer boots Windows.
Also sometimes it will boot very fast but then everything will be laggy, the mouse, clicking start etc and makes the computer unusable.

Ive already tried:
Fresh installation of Windows (twice) which was tedious enough
Updating the Motherboard fully to the latest BIOS (7C37vH7)
Ive done CMOS resets ofcourse when doing this also and tried factory settings. For now I keep it on the XMP profile because it doesnt seem to affect the boot times.
Tried doing MEMTESTs too, im not an expert and a lot of the language went over my head but did the default test and it didnt bring up any issues.
Installing Windows 10 on an NVME was a bit tricky but did it in UEFI mode, for my boot options, I have CSM disabled as I know this can slow down boot times
Also I've updated all my drivers and regualrly keep them updated.

Overall the computer once booted is very fast, tempratures seem normal, I'm not sure about voltages but presuming theyre ok too as I've pushed the computer to run on a 55 inch OLED HDR and done stress tests like furmark etc and it hasnt failed or slowed down. The cinebench scores seem to align with my build quite well. It's just the ghastly boot times and the sometimes very fast boot but crappy performance thereafter. Coming from a FX-9590 (yes I waited a while to upgrade) Ive never come across slow boot times like this, dont think it should be like this for a new Ryzen.

Does anyone know any solid reasons why this might be happening? Im starting to miss my old radiator.

Solution
Build :
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

Problem : Computer boot times are very slow, Im stuck on the MSI A pro logo with the white spinning wheel for around 2 minutes before the computer boots Windows.
Also sometimes it will boot very fast but then everything will be laggy, the mouse, clicking start etc and makes the computer unusable.

Ive already tried:
Updating the Motherboard fully...

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Build :
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

Ive already tried:
Updating the Motherboard fully to the latest BIOS (7C37vH7)
Ive done CMOS resets ofcourse when doing this also and tried factory settings. For now I keep it on the XMP profile because it doesnt seem to affect the boot times.
Tried doing MEMTESTs too, im not an expert and a lot of the language went over my head but did the default test and it didnt bring up any issues.
Installing Windows 10 on an NVME was a bit tricky but did it in UEFI mode, for my boot options, I have CSM disabled as I know this can slow down boot times
Also I've updated all my drivers and regualrly keep them updated.

Overall the computer once booted is very fast, tempratures seem normal, I'm not sure about voltages but presuming theyre ok too as I've pushed the computer to run on a 55 inch OLED HDR and done stress tests like furmark etc and it hasnt failed or slowed down. The cinebench scores seem to align with my build quite well. It's just the ghastly boot times and the sometimes very fast boot but crappy performance thereafter. Coming from a FX-9590 (yes I waited a while to upgrade) Ive never come across slow boot times like this, dont think it should be like this for a new Ryzen.

Does anyone know any solid reasons why this might be happening? Im starting to miss my old radiator.
I had same problem but finally narrowed it down to a few things now booting in a second spinning wheel does not get a chance to appear it's that fast my system was taking around 30 seconds to boot when spinning wheel appeared.
Try the following one at a time but may be a combination of two or three?

Disable Prefetcher for accelerated windows start up
Disable boot files Defragmentation at start up
Increase paged memory usage for ntfs file system
Turn off the search indexer
Disable windows zip and cab compressed folders
Disable program compatibility assistant

Solution