very slow wifi

Jul 8, 2018
i have an hp laptop, core i5. and i use internet through a wifi device in which a sim card is used. sorry i dont know any technical terms, i dont have much knowledge about computers.
my problem is that my internet was working perfectly a week ago, then the package finished in the sim. and ever since i recharged it, the speed have not been the same. browser pages load over several tries but the real problem is that the torrents download at a very slow rate, never more than 10kbps. it takes me a whole day to download one episode of a drama.
my vacations are ending soon. please help.

Solution

What do you mean by SIM? SIM cards are normally only for phones and mobile devices, not computers. If you mean an SD card slot, even then, I've never...

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015

What do you mean by SIM? SIM cards are normally only for phones and mobile devices, not computers. If you mean an SD card slot, even then, I've never heard of a wireless adapter being used in an SD card slot... SD card slots are for storage not networking. The last thing I could think you mean is the USB port on your desktop or laptop computer. If you mean that, I need to know more about your whole setup.

1. What ISP (INternet Service Provider) do you have?
2. Are you running off of a router or a portable wifi hotspot (these normally are provided by phone companies and not actual wifi companies like CenturyLink, Mediacom, etc.)
3. What do you mean by "package finished in the SIM"?
4. Have you been to any sites lately that have been... let's say... "fishy"? Have you been redirected to any websites you didn't intend to go to?

Solution