Question Very Strange Build Outcome... What is Happening?

JudithWright

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
I just finished a new PC build, but it ended with an outcome I haven't seen before...

When I first turned on the PC, everything looked fine (all fans were spinning and RGB for the case was working).
But I noticed that the fan on the graphics card was EXTREMELY loud.

Then, the system would not boot to the MSI Bios screen and the monitor display was totally blank.
Finally, when I tried to turn off the PC to restart and try again, I found that the system will not turn-off when holding down the power button.

I had to actually flip the ON/OFF switch on the power supply in order to get the PC to shut down.

I tried changing the graphics card (because I have two of the same) but it was the same result both times: very loud fan, no monitor display, and could not turn-off the PC by holding down the power button.

As of right now, there is no Operating System that has been installed (because it wasn't possible to get that far)...

What could be happening to cause all of this?

Build Details:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 950
CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 23
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7470
SSD: Sandisk 128GB SATA m.2 SSD
HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB
Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX
RAM: OLOy Warhawk RGB 2666 MHZ
PSU: Thermaltake PS-TTP-0600NNFAGU-1 600W 80+ Gold Non-Modular

I just finished a new PC build, but it ended with an outcome I haven't seen before...

When I first turned on the PC, everything looked fine (all fans were spinning and RGB for the case was working).
But I noticed that the fan on the graphics card was EXTREMELY loud.

Then, the system would not boot to the MSI Bios screen and the monitor display was totally blank.
Finally, when I tried to turn off the PC to restart and try again, I found that the system will not turn-off when holding down the power button.

I had to actually flip the ON/OFF switch on the power supply in order to get the PC to shut down.

I tried changing the graphics card (because I have two of the same) but it was the same result both times: very loud fan, no monitor display, and could not turn-off the PC by holding down the power button.

As of right now, there is no Operating System that has been installed (because it wasn't possible to get that far)...

What could be happening to cause all of this?

Build Details:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 950
CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 23
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7470
SSD: Sandisk 128GB SATA m.2 SSD
HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB
Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX
RAM: OLOy Warhawk RGB 2666 MHZ
PSU: Thermaltake PS-TTP-0600NNFAGU-1 600W 80+ Gold Non-Modular
Are the ssd and hdd blank or do they contain operating systems from old computers? First thing to try would be to disconnect both drives and see if that gives you access to the bios. If successful, then try booting from a usb containing either the windows installer or a linux distro. This will help you determine if all your hardware is functional. Note that if your ssd contains a previous windows installation and the previous hardware was substantially different from the new hardware you will most likely need a fresh reinstall of windows. This works best when only 1 drive is connected so you should hold off on connecting the hdd until this is resolved.

JudithWright

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
fans generally run fast/loud until an operating system loads and tells them to shut up and behave if so configured.

Have you gone back and reviewed your power switch connections?

I have used this same graphics card before, and I've never heard it be anywhere near this loud.

Also, all the power connections seem to be fine. The PC does turn on normally, with all fans spinning and all RGB lights working.

JudithWright

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
The GPU was confirmed as working in another PC. I actually tried two of them (same model) and had the same result.

I have tried removing the m.2 SSD, re-seated the CPU, tried a different CPU Cooler, used different RAM and even changed the Graphics Card to an NVIDIA Quadro 2000.

None of these changes worked.

To me, the strangest part is that the PC will not turn-off when holding down the Power Button. The Power Button seems to work just fine when turning the PC on.

What would stop the PC from turning off like this?

cold boot will run all fans at max speed, because no hadrware firmware is yet loaded.
your mainboard doesnt have any sort of debuging leds, but since not even GPU vbios loads (loud gpu fans), then id look at cpu or ram as possible culprits
have you tested single ram module?

JudithWright

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
cold boot will run all fans at max speed, because no hadrware firmware is yet loaded.
your mainboard doesnt have any sort of debuging leds, but since not even GPU vbios loads (loud gpu fans), then id look at cpu or ram as possible culprits
have you tested single ram module?

I tried a totally different RAM kit and that didn't work, either.

Are you saying that the system would start normally (all fans spinning and RGB on the Case working) if the CPU is faulty?

I didn't think the system would start at all if that was the problem.

I tried a totally different RAM kit and that didn't work, either.

Are you saying that the system would start normally (all fans spinning and RGB on the Case working) if the CPU is faulty?

I didn't think the system would start at all if that was the problem.
well the system freezed at cold boot, bios firmware got stuck at start
cpu executes bios firmware
do you have pc speaker around?

TRENDING THREADS