Question Very strange issue with AMD R9 270X graphics card : Works only with CRT monitor.

Jul 3, 2021
I have a very old pc with Amd phenom cpu, 6gbs of ram, AMD R9 270x gpu, a 21 inches LED monitor, a spare 14 inches CRT monitor, and a spare Nvidia Gt 610.

Coming to the issue--

The amd gpu in my pc used to work as intended but one day when I turned on my pc, the bios showed up the motherboard's manufacturer's wallpaper for a second then it went black (the usual bios screen with lots of text information didn't showed up), I waited a few minutes but it didn't displayed anything, I then turned off the pc and unplugged the led monitor from amd r9 270x gpu, took out the lying crt monitor and plugged it to gpu and voila I got the display out and it booted fine to windows, the gpu was working fine, gpu temps. were fine too(idle @ ~37°C and ~65 when loaded).

I tried again with the LED monitor but got no display output with amd gpu.

Then I thought of trying my nvidia Gt 610 gpu, plugged it in the mobo and connected it to led monitor and guess what it just gave output to the led monitor, I could boot into windows and the led monitor was working fine with it.

I don't know what could be the issue with Amd gpu. It just doesn't want to work with my 21 inches LED monitor but works perfectly with that old bulky 14 inch crt monitor.

In short :

Amd R9 270X : Gives display output with CRT monitor plugged into it but refuses to do so when connected to LED monitor.

The LED monitor works as intended when I swap out that Amd gpu with a Nvidia Gt 610 gpu.

If the amd gpu is faulty then it shouldn't just give any display output at all, but it works when connected to CRT monitor.

I've tried:
1.) Connecting the LED monitor with Dvi, and hdmi cables but amd gpu doesn't outputs anything. As soon as I plug the vga cable of my CRT monitor to the amd gpu with a vga to dvi adapter, I get the display out.

2.) Resetting motherboard bios,

3.) Flashing gpu bios,

4.) Re-seating RAMs...etc.

What could be the problem with gpu? I'm really frustrated with it.

I hope I was able to describe the issue. Please throw some light onto it.

Please pardon my english and this long post.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The power draw on the cards are not the same. The R9 270x needs more power than the GT610. You might want to state the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU apart from the make and model of the unit. Include the OS version as well if you're working with Windows 10.

Given how old the AMD GPU is at this point and that most people have retired it since they failed or died, I'm not surprised that a port might've gone faulty on the GPU. You could take the AMD card to a donor system(with at least 550W of power for the entire build) and see if the same issue presents itself there.

Reactions: Pricus
Jul 3, 2021
Thanks for replying..

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550
Motherboard:Biostar A780 L3C
Ram:2+4GB
SSD/HDD:2x500GB 7200rpm +1TB 5400 rpm
GPU:AMD R9 270X (5 years Old)
PSU:Corsair VS 450 (1.5 Years Old)
Chassis:Cheap one

The amd gpu works just fine when I plug the display out to my crt monitor and I could game on it too but as soon as I connect it to the LED monitor, it goes blank and doesn't displays anything.