Question Very weird situation, seeking some input

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hey there

So had a very very weird thing happen today. I booted my PC, went into call of duty and the display just died, with no LED turn on the mobo. I restarted the PC, and the 2nd time, logging into CoD which made the pc reboot. After that the PC would not power ON, in like I would press the power button and it wouldn't do anything - first thought PSU...

I thought it might be the PSU power cable, so swapped it, and still nothing. After about 5 minutes it turned on like usual.

Have to mention I was doing all this with the back side panel off.

So now the PC works but when I put the panel on (with a bit of a push), the display went off but after 20 sec on again and its worked since.

I was thinking a few things:
  1. My PSU could have short circuited - RM850x corsasir, as the fan is not spinning but then I read it doesnt need to if not under load.
  2. The GPU moved a bit and maybe needed resocketing.
  3. There is something at the back of the PC that interferes when I put the panel on.

Everything seems to have gone south when i took out the side panel to have a look at where I can place another SSD - but have not touched really anything before putting the panel back on.

I'm really lost on this, and I know it's not a usual use case, but any pointers would help me understand what could be happening.

2700x ryzen 7
16gb 3333 ram
mobo b450 msi carbon
psu - above
nvidia rtx 2070 super

Thank you!

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Cheers both.

I am writing from that PC, so it's been working fine. But from what I wrote above, could re-connecting everything have anything to do with the PC not receiving any power for a few minutes and then suddenly working fine? That is the bit where I panicked and thought the PSU was toasted, but apparently not.

And on top, what is also weird is that it all started from running quite a demanding game at which point I lost the display, but browsing windows was absolutely fine.

Just trying to figure the logic in all this :)

As for the ram yea, it's an XMP profile, that never really caused issues. But please correct me if I am wrong, but none of these fixes would not allow my computer to receive power and at least see some LEDs light up. Basically for 5 min was as dead as it could be.

I thought it might be the PSU cable, that the fuse blew so they way I repowered it was with a second cable, but now i'm back to the original one and works fine so far (tried games as well)

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
So it worked fine for a day.

Today when I opened up call of duty, played for 10 min and then black screen - no display detected, but the PC ran as usual in the background.

Now when I try to power it on it does, but no display. Weird thing is that the red LED on the mobo for VGA does not light on, so in theory the GPU sends signal. Ive had issues in the past with broken GPUs and always the led was on.

Really no idea what it could be, all drivers are up to date, re-socketed the ram sticks, and same thing. This has been happening since a few days ago, but nothing before that. Any idea what I can try?

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Yup, tried a TV, but also tried the monitor with a work laptop, and works fine, both the HDMi and the DP cables I use work fine with a different device. If 30 min ago I would still get display and be able to browse the web, youtube etc, now it won't display anything. Weird again is that the monitor led is on as if it was working, on white. Usually when its idle or off turns yellow

avioncumotor

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Is there a world in which either the PSU is "semi-fried" or the extension cables I have for the mobo 24pin and the ones for the GPU are bad? I got them from a proper shop, but could those cause the issues?