Very wierd CPU problem

Jul 11, 2018
so a while ago my pc stopped working, and I narrowed down the problem to the motherboard breaking, not sure how, but probably short circuited.

I got my new motherboard yesterday (exact same model and everything) and plugged in everything i used to have (my old gpu, old psu, old hard drive), except i accidently put in one of my old cpus instead of the one i used to use. I turned off my pc and exchanged my old cpu with the one i used most recently. Wierdly enough, i was stuck in an endless restart loop while trying to boot into windows. I first thought i might've turned off windows while it was updating and it mightve bricked it, so I did what microsoft suggested, which was power down 3 times and hope repair center popped up, it didn't, so I booted into windows media creator on a usb flash drive, and the same restart/ boot problem happened, even while booting into the usb.

After around 3 hours of doing random troubleshooting, I decided to just put in the cpu i mistakenly put in earlier into the motherboard again, and windows booted fine! So I'm not sure what the problem is with my most recent cpu, because I was able to access the bios, and the computer was able to turn on, it just wasn't able to boot into windows

Solution
I would try a new PSU and heatsink.

This new motherboard and CPU combination may be drawing just a little bit more power than the old one, just enough to tip your PSU over the edge where it can't supply a stable voltage.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Can you can confirm that the motherboard BIOS version supports your new CPU. It may be the same model number, but you may need a BIOS update.

If that is all good then I suggest that you do a fresh windows install.

What CPU and motherboard anyway?

Jul 11, 2018

old cpu = amd athlon x2 b26 (3.2 ghz)

both motherboard models: HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF / Microtower Socket AM3 Motherboard 503335-001 531966-001
"new cpu" = amd phenom x4 b95 (3.0 ghz)
Ram = G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
psu =HP Compaq Pro SFF 6200 6000 PSU Power Supply PC9055 613762-001 240W
gpu = gtx 750ti Low Profile MSI 2GB Gddr5

Jul 11, 2018

interesting, I haven't tried doing that. How would I go about checking to see if this motherboard's bios supports the cpu?

Jul 11, 2018

I updated my bios to the latest update, and still no luck. I also completely reinstalled windows and the same problem still happens. w/ the phenom cpu it boots into windows for 1 second then reboots and the process repeats.

Is it possible that the motherboard breaking affected the phenom cpu, and it's just broken, even though the pc boots into, and is recognized by, the bios?

Jul 11, 2018

i downloaded linux on a flash drive and i was able to boot into it with my athlon, but with my phenom cpu, the same thing happened. it would start booting into linux then stop, and it would go on an endless restart loop. Not sure what to do anymore :/

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
The Phenom is a 95W part while the Athlon is a 65W part.

As a matter of interest what Heatsink did you use for the Phenom?

Also consider that your PSU is only rated for 240W. If the HS is not the issue then I would try a better PSU.

Jul 11, 2018

I used the regular amd heatsink that came with the athlon for the phenom, I know the PSU is rated for 240W, but I've used this same setup before (gtx 750ti, amd phenom ii x4 b95, 240w PSU, 8gb ram, same heatsink aswell) on my old motherboard and it worked for around 3 years. The only thing different now is this motherboard - but it's still the same model as the one I previously had.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I would try a new PSU and heatsink.

This new motherboard and CPU combination may be drawing just a little bit more power than the old one, just enough to tip your PSU over the edge where it can't supply a stable voltage.

Solution