News VESA Creates ClearMR Spec To Grade Motion Blur On Displays

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Does the rating factor the display rate? Because a 1hz monitor with a 9k score doesn't do a gamer much good.

Clearly but hz isn't everything. A good old CRT will look better at 60 hz then modern LCD/LED and OLED at 120hz in regards to motion clarity (and of course input response). A lot of which has to do with the picture strobe in conjunction with pixel response time BUT you're not exactly wrong in at some point refresh rate becomes paramount. If I recall there is a is a minimum FPS of 48FPS as well in the rating (or their was talk of it)though I couldn't find anything when I gave it a search just now, so some clarity on the issue would be great from Tom's assuming they know any more then we do.

Aug 22, 2022
This is a great article but one point that the writer makes needs to be corrected here. The statement that only monitors that have the ClearMR 9000 rating will get the ClearMR badge is incorrect. Any monitor that passes the test requirements outlined in the ClearMR specification will receive a ClearMR badge at the Clear Motion Ratio tier level that it passes at. For example, a monitor that achieves a CMR rating within the 7000 tier level will receive a VESA Certified ClearMR 7000 badge.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
nice but quite a bit late now that OLEDs are slow becoming more affordable, with true less than 1ms response times. it is the IPS/VA panels have issue with pixel clarity, reducing the clarity of high refresh rates.