[SOLVED] VGA/GPU. Problem after turning on TPM 2.0 in BIOS. No display on monitor but monitor is working.

Dec 24, 2021
really hope that someone can respond to this with an answer I really need it. I was in BOIS turning on “secure boot” and “TMP 2.0 to play Valorant. After I saved it when I restarted the display from my monitor shut off and the VGA/GPU light came on in my motherboard. My monitor was working because I tested it on my wii and it came on. This was the NZXT PRO prebuilt that I have had for over a year now. If you need more specs to help me with this problem please let me know because I am not at my house at the moment. I have already gone trough MANY different solution with none of them working.

InvalidError

Titan
Clear CMOS to reset BIOS to default and that should get you going again.

Secure Boot checks the integrity of everything that gets loaded by the BIOS before running it, so having no POST on VGA after turning SecureBoot on may indicate that there is a problem with the GPU's BIOS, such as using a pre-UEFI GPU.

Dec 24, 2021
The main problem is that there is no display on this monitor and I’m sorry if that wasn’t clear. I tried this and it does not work. Do you have any other solutions?

InvalidError

Titan
If you tried clearing CMOS and that didn't work, then you may need to try a different GPU unless your CPU has an IGP.
It may help to either include a list of hardware in your system or at least a link to the specific pre-built you got since most companies commonly have more than one product variant with generic terms like "Pro" or "Gamer" in the name.

Dec 24, 2021
I just tried resetting cmos again and it did not work. Here are the all of the hardware specs of the pc.

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • CPU
    Intel Core i5-10400F 6-Core 2.9 GHz
  • GPU
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  • RAM
    16GB at 3000 MHz (max speed)
  • Storage
    1TB M.2 SSD
    • Processor Brand
      Intel
    • Series
      i5-10400F
    • Processor Speed (Base)
      2.9 Ghz
    • Processor Model Number
      BX8070110400F
    • Number of Cores
      6-Core
  • Graphics
    • Brand
      NVIDIA
    • Model
      GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

• Memory
      • Brand
        Team T-FORCE Vulcan Z
      • Capacity
        16GB (2 x 8GB)
      • Speed
        3000 MHz (max speed)

• Storage
        • Storage Type
          SSD
        • Brand
          Western Digital
        • Series
          Blue SN550 NVMe
        • Capacity
          1 TB
        • Form Factor
          M.2 2280
        • Memory Components
          3D NAND
        • Interface
          PCI-Express 3.0 x4
        Motherboard
        • Model
          B560 Motherboard
        CPU Cooler
        • Model
          DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2
        Power
        • Power Supply
          500W Bronze
        Accessories
        • Model
          MSI MS-B905C WIFI Dual Band Wireless PCIE Adapter Card
        Software
        • Operating System
          Windows 10 Home

InvalidError

Titan
If you happen to have a spare GPU lying around and whatever B560 chef's special of the day motherboard you got has a 2nd x16 or open-ended x1/4/8 slot, you could try tossing in a 2nd GPU and see if the BIOS will boot on that instead, then see if the BIOS has actually cleared and also check whether RTX3060 still shows up in the OS.

Also, 500W unspecified 'bronze' PSU does not inspire confidence. You need to check the actual brand and model number. The PC may have coincidentally started having issues due to the Secureboot sequence drawing a little more power than non-secure boot, thereby exposing a problem you were about to run into anyway.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
TPM is enabled by default in any newer version of Windows from 1607 and up. Microsoft says Not to use the tpm command to activate it etc, just enable it through device manager if necessary. Tpm itself is part of the security procedure to prevent malware etc that happens Before the boot process, but After Post. So I'm kinda surprised you can't at least get into Bios.

From what I read, you'd only need to do that procedure once, on a clean installation, as playing around with Secure Boot can have adverse affects on pc operation later as it also affects storage.

Clearing cmos might not be enough, as boot keys and tpm keys won't be reset by cmos, only by bios. I think the keys need to be cleared and reset to default and it's not a gpu issue since a 3060ti and 10400f are both UEFI to start with.

InvalidError

Titan
Clearing cmos might not be enough, as boot keys and tpm keys won't be reset by cmos, only by bios. I think the keys need to be cleared and reset to default and it's not a gpu issue since a 3060ti and 10400f are both UEFI to start with.
Clearing CMOS should set UEFI and SecureBoot status to whatever the BIOS default is even if the keys themselves may stay behind so you can reset CMOS for other reasons without worrying about saving keys first.

AFAIK, the only storage that is affected by TPM is bitlocker. If you don't use bitlocker, then TPM status doesn't matter as far as that is concerned. If you do use bitlocker, then make sure your TPM keys are backed up somewhere in case you need to recover them. Otherwise, bye bye your bitlocker encrypted data should your PC ever become non-bootable for whatever reason.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If I reset cmos, it sets secure boot to OtherOS for the nvme, not WinUEFI, which plays havoc with the boot EFI and the nvme is rendered useless, so no drivers or boot etc. I need to go into bios and either load from profile or manually setup CSM secure boot options. Got the initial procedure from a Calvin7 answer.

TRENDING THREADS