Question VGA Led ON, No Display

NaiteRyder

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2015
Hi,

My rig is 4 years old and working fine. Suddenly one day the monitor shows no display and the VGA led was ON on mobo.

Tried the below solutions,

1. Turned TPU, worked but next day the same issue showed up

2. Resetting CMOS, worked but next day the same issue showed up

3. Removed the GPU but still the VGA led was ON

4. Changed the GPU to another slot but still the VGA Led was on

Please suggest guys

Edit:

CPU AMD 8350
GPU msi radeon r9 290x
MoBo Asus m5a97 evo r2.0
RAM corsair 2gbx2, 4gbx2 = 12gb
PSU corsair 750W

Last edited:

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Like CMOS battery is not responsible for a pc not giving a post, all what it is responsible for is keeping the settings ready whenever the windows wants them and keep the time settings up to date.
He should list his pc specs first.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could be psu related or it could be gpu.

From the manual

POST State LEDsThe POST State LEDs provide the status of these key components during POST (Power-On-Self Test): CPU, memory modules, VGA card, and hard disk drive.s If an error is found, the critical component’s LED stays lit up until the problem is solved.

My guess, there's a fault with the graphics card or the psu/and or cables powering it. Doubt it's cables though they rarely go but thought to mention it. Try a different graphics card.

3. Removed the GPU but still the VGA led was ON

4. Changed the GPU to another slot but still the VGA Led was on

I would say, 3. VGA led would remain on because no graphics card is present so the system flags it an error.

4. Would probably indicate there's something wrong with the graphics card or psu powering it as suggested by iMatty.

NaiteRyder

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2015
Could be psu related or it could be gpu.

From the manual

My guess, there's a fault with the graphics card or the psu/and or cables powering it. Doubt it's cables though they rarely go but thought to mention it. Try a different graphics card.

I would say, 3. VGA led would remain on because no graphics card is present so the system flags it an error.

4. Would probably indicate there's something wrong with the graphics card or psu powering it as suggested by iMatty.
Yes i too doubt the PSU coz I removed the GPU from the mobo and power on still the VGA led was solid on.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes i too doubt the PSU coz I removed the GPU from the mobo and power on still the VGA led was solid on.

I doubted the pcie 6/8pin cables not the psu. As i said, VGA led still lit with the graphics card removed is probably normal, as in the motherboard detects no graphics card and lights the led to let you know. So why? Either graphics card is dying or the psu is dying not powering the graphics card properly causing the motherboard to think the graphics card is faulty. Make sense?

NaiteRyder

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2015
I doubted the pcie 6/8pin cables not the psu. As i said, VGA led still lit with the graphics card removed is probably normal, as in the motherboard detects no graphics card and lights the led to let you know. So why? Either graphics card is dying or the psu is dying not powering the graphics card properly causing the motherboard to think the graphics card is faulty. Make sense?
Installed my old GPU Radeon hd6850 which has 6pin connector from PSU, now the system is working fine. New GPU has 6+8pin.
Still can't digest that my new gpu is faulty, I'll try changing the PSU cable or PSU this weekend and check.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
290x released 2013 so you would have bough it second hand right?

Word of caution when troubleshooting psu/cables that if any of those are modular don't swap and plug cables from different psu brands or models. Keep to the original cables or spares the psu came with. Psu pin arrangement is not standard even though the plug fits, the wiring inside the psu plug can change and cause potential damage. This goes for semi or fully modular psu's with pluggable cables powering components ie cpu, motherboard, storage drives and graphics cards.

NaiteRyder

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2015
290x released 2013 so you would have bough it second hand right?

Word of caution when troubleshooting psu/cables that if any of those are modular don't swap and plug cables from different psu brands or models. Keep to the original cables or spares the psu came with. Psu pin arrangement is not standard even though the plug fits, the wiring inside the psu plug can change and cause potential damage. This goes for semi or fully modular psu's with pluggable cables powering components ie cpu, motherboard, storage drives and graphics cards.
I bought it new, on 2015. Was working fine for 4years and suddenly this issue came up. Will do the troubleshooting as told 👍

NaiteRyder

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2015
Ohh that's right you did say 4yrs ago. Graphics cards can die just like any other components, they're just a bunch of electronics afterall and suffer deterioration. Had an gtx 580 bum on me.

Good luck troubleshooting
Thanks man, will get back soon, hope there is no fault with my gpu coz I've lots of games to play.