VGA LED turning on solid, no video...sometimes

chipimaurino

Prominent
Feb 24, 2018
I've already had this problem before, and had to fight with Gigabyte in order to get my card repaired, and it did get repaired. Later I got a second one, in SLI, and apart from having some issues in a few games like:

War Thunder, overlapping textures;

Star Citizen, well... lighting that could give someone epilepsy, crashes, "Kernel recovered correctly", though still playable, its still in development, and im surprised SLI even works;

Space Engineers, light reflects forever on shining surfaces, and the efect builds up until everything is a flashing mess, though its solved by looking away from the source.

Everything is pretty ok. However, recently, the VGA LED started turning on sometimes, with the whole "no video" business, monitor doesn't even turn on; but if it happens and I wait a few seconds before pressing the reboot key, the problem is solved.

Therefore, I'm asking now for a solution to a problem that still hasn't (and may not ever) happened, which is what to do the day rebooting doesn't fix the problem

GPU: GTX 970 G1 SLI
CPU: Intel 4790k
MB: Asus Z97 Pro Gamer

chipimaurino

Prominent
Feb 24, 2018

No, it's a directly connected HDMI cable from the primary GPU (the one nearest to CPU) to the HDMI port in the monitor

coolnate390

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

Do both graphics cards work fine when on their own, no SLI?

chipimaurino

Prominent
Feb 24, 2018

The first one does, after it got repaired; the second (which I got later) has worked without trouble so far, though I havent used it with the other physically unplugged. When I stop SLI, its the first GPU thats used, as its the closest one the CPU, so I dont think I've actually used it on its own.

I should mention, now that I think about it, that the problem usually appears when I restart using Windows. Its also completely screwed up the resolution twice, meaning everything was extremely zoomed in (in some way), quality was like 360p on YT. It solved itself by rebooting with the button the first time, and the second time I think I used Windows.

It doesnt happen every time the booting problem appears, but the booting problem itself has only happened around 5~6 times, so I dont think I have enough data to call it rare.