[SOLVED] VGA light on B450 boards

Sep 21, 2021
My daughter's PC has abruptly stop working as in no signal from the GPU.
It still powers up and fans spin on GPUs
I've swapped GPUs from numerous other Pc's with the same result. It's not the GPU
I swapped MOBO to a higher tier B450 that she was using still same result.
I went with a different manufacturer than the Gigabyte B450 same result.
I tried a couple of different memory sticks still with same result.

Now mind that the PC was working for over 8 months.

I'm starting to think that the CPU may be at fault here.
Has anyone seen the The 3rd Gen Ryzen chips cause issues like this?

GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE V2
AMD Ryzen 5 3rd Gen - RYZEN 5 3600
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III

Solution
use occt and stress test psu take note of voltages before and on test you could also use hwinfo to check the voltages fans speed and temp this one could also made a log of all these readings .
Sep 21, 2021
Have you swapped displays?
Have you swapped display cables?
Did you do a clean Windows Install with the two additional motherboards?....each time separately.
it's pretty rare to have a CPU failure.
Yes I have tried multiple displays. HDMI and a DP display.
I did not try a clean windows install due to not having a visual output.
I did inspect the pins on CPu and everything seems 100.

Just to eliminate potential things.....I would power down and reseat the cards, power plugs and data plugs.
I also think it potentially may be the power supply.
I think chances of a bad PSU are much greater than a bad CPU.
if you have a multimeter you can check the voltages (you can google how).
If it's not displaying due to a bad voltage.....you should be able to pick that up.

Sep 21, 2021
Thanks for the recommendations.
As far as reseating I've been through 3 boards and 3 GPUs.
If there were potential for loose connections im thinking I would have ran across it at some point during the swaps.

I did actually power two systems up and power my current system GPU, a 2080 with her PSU-GPU rail.
That PSU is my original Bulldozer PSU it is 10 years old.
I have a fluke 754 I'll give it a shot.

The main voltages are 12, 5 and 3.3 and should remain within 5% of those values always.
....and I realize you swapped GPUs.......but other things....like memory......I would reseat.
I might also try to boot with the bare minimum (remove everything except what's needed to boot).

Reactions: Preest
Sep 21, 2021
The main voltages are 12, 5 and 3.3 and should remain within 5% of those values always.
....and I realize you swapped GPUs.......but other things....like memory......I would reseat.
I might also try to boot with the bare minimum (remove everything except what's needed to boot).
PSU was fine believe it or not. I even picked up a spare at BB to cover anything I may have missed on the PSU.
That Leaves one culprit. The CPU!!!! I don't know how but it has to be the problem. What is weird is that on 3 different boards the VGA light is indicating a problem.
When I first removed the AIO pump from the CPU it did have an excessive amount of TP. Maybe it cause a short between pins somehow.

Sep 21, 2021
Update: I remembered that I purchased the same processors for my other daughters PC.
I was able to swap it in and get a post. Still odd how its specifying the VGA and everything else seems to be running.

Sep 21, 2021
So it was the CPU? That's rare in my world.
Agreed, My AMD bulldozer comes out every winter when it gets really cold.
I haven't seen a bad chip in probably 20 years.
I've inspected the processor for damage bent pins etc. I cleaned it really well and tbh it almost looks brand new.
I submitted a warranty repair through AMD it should be covered.