Question VGA Light on Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 , no display occassionally

Apr 15, 2023
I've had this problem for a few months now and can't seem to find someone in a similar situation. I have the following:

Computer: Pre-built iBuyPower
Ram: Team Group Inc TEAMGROUP-UD4-3200 2x8GB
SSD: Team TM8FPD001T 1TB
CPU: i7-12700KF
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4
Bios version: F7
GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 3080

Almost everyday when I go to start up my computer, the VGA light on my motherboard is red and stays on with no display on the monitor. The monitor turns on but cannot detect a signal. The computer eventually boots to Windows 11 as I hear the Windows startup sound but there is no display. I then go to shut off the computer without any display (alt-f4 and then enter) and the turn on the computer again. After a few tries, the display will start working and all will be good. I've tried to:
1. Reseat the RAM
2. Switch the to an old graphics card MSI 1070
3. Try several Display Port cables
4. Tried different monitors

I'm not sure if this is by coincidence, but it seems if it fails to display anything on the first start up, after I power down and switch the DisplayPort cable to another DisplayPort output port on the GPU, it works on the next boot.

Any idea what is going on? The inconsistency of the issue makes it a bit hard to find the cause.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
if the PSU's been in service for a while, please include the age of the unit, apart from it's make and model.

If you're able to get display off of your platform, please see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time.