[SOLVED] VGA red light showing, and single dash on monitor screen at boot up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2024
I am currently attempting to build my first ever pc after saving for a while. I did a fair amount of research on the building process and am certain that I didn't do anything damaging to any parts. However, whenever I try to boot up the computer with an HDMI in my GPU, the vga light stays lit and a single dash is in the upper left portion of the monitor. I have tried multiple fixes such as reseating the GPU, clrCMOS, taking off the CPU cooler and checking the CPU/mobo pins. I have tried moving the RAM sticks around (using both one stick and two). I checked all my cables coming from the PSU multiple times. I would appreciate any guidance on troubleshooting/possible fixes for this problem.

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 670p 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Intel Limited Edition Arc A750 8 GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool CC560 ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.51 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit
Monitor: Crua Monitor

1x 6-Pin PCIe, 1x 8-Pin PCIe are connected to the GPU?
remove all hdd/ssd/eventually dvd/usb thumb drives
boot up and try getting into BIOS

if this won't work remove the GPU, connect to the motherboard, clear cmos while power is off, try boot up
if you can get into BIOS, update the BIOS via m-flash
try the gpu again afterwards

Jan 7, 2024

if this won't work remove the GPU, connect to the motherboard, clear cmos while power is off, try boot up
Thanks, I will try this tomorrow after work and see how it goes. The right PCIE cables are plugged in to both the GPU and the PSU. I only have a mouse and keyboard that connect via a Bluetooth usb stick, will that be an issue for trying to get into the BIOS while booting up?

Jan 7, 2024
usually not
eventually try a hardwired keyboard or wireless 2.4GHz
You are my savior, thank you! I think I tried removing the GPU and I had tried removing the SSD but not both of them together. I was able to boot up and access BIOS to update it. Not sure if it will work with the GPU yet as it is still updating but I have high hopes

Jan 7, 2024

Hm. I am unable to boot with the GPU in now but it does go to BIOS on its own without the SSD in. Did I download the wrong BIOS version on my flashdrive maybe? On pcpartpicker it says something about my motherboard supporting my CPU with BIOS ver 7B51v15 so I downloaded that from the MSI cite.

Jan 7, 2024
If you can get into BIOS without the SSD, which BIOS version is it showing there? You can update the BIOS inside the BIOS. Install the latest BIOS version 7B51v1E
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKMub20CUNI

Did you install windows with this PC? Or did you try installing it yet?
I did actually manage to figure it out, sorry for not responding. I can't recall exactly what I did, if anything. I think it just started working and I ended up just going for it and downloading windows onto my usb. My first pc is now all installed in the case after much stress haha. Thank you for all the help, genuinely.

Reactions: helpstar
Status
Not open for further replies.